News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Who's Goin' When' in 2011

Started by Ryk Rakham, March 01, 2011, 02:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Okay now ... rooms at the local inn—CHECK! ... tickets to faire purchased (to be printed at work tomorrow)—CHECK! ... dogs have their reservation confirmed at the dog spa—CHECK ...Homer, the Odyssey cleaned—CHECK! ... spending money—NO CHECK! CASH!

Merlin the Elder, Nimue, and a faire virgin (not a fair virgin, so back off. He may not be your type!) will be at the Castle for opening cannon this weekend.  Looking forward to our first visit to your faire! 
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 10, 2011, 05:32:09 PM
Okay now ... rooms at the local inn—CHECK! ... tickets to faire purchased (to be printed at work tomorrow)—CHECK! ... dogs have their reservation confirmed at the dog spa—CHECK ...Homer, the Odyssey cleaned—CHECK! ... spending money—NO CHECK! CASH!

Merlin the Elder, Nimue, and a faire virgin (not a fair virgin, so back off. He may not be your type!) will be at the Castle for opening cannon this weekend.  Looking forward to our first visit to your faire! 

Hey!  He might be just MY type!!!  :P  :D  Well, provided he's been whelped, anyway!  ;) 

Ok, I'm... pretty sure... we'll be able to head that way this weekend (Gods willin' an' th' creek don't rise), after looking at finances.  Particularly since I'll have a bit extra coming in within a week or two...  We'll have to sleep in the van, but that's been done before, so no major hassle there.  The budget will be tight, but we've gone to Faire with less, so I know we'll have fun... especially since we'll have friends there with whom to explore a new realm!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

angusmacinnes

Look forward to seeing you there Merlin, Rani.  Hey Merlin we will be at the Holiday Inn Express. 
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Archer

If you get there about 10:00 they've been doing alot of preview of what is going on.  King Henry has been ordering the gates to open timely, in person. 

If you want water, visit the Thorn and Thistle (north end of the compound near the human chessboard) where it is available in many pitchers and they've not been charging for water at that location but it is the only one with free cold ice water located so far.   Water, good and cold,  costs two bucks if you go to any other locations/pubs. 

Mead and wine tasting at the clock tower,  where you can see the Birds of Prey in action.

Enjoy. 

Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Merlin the Elder

Angus, we're at the Hampton, but I think it's right next to the HI Express.  We may be late getting into town Friday night (I say late because we're used to an early bedtime!)  I'll be looking for you at cannon Saturday morning, tho'. Rani, I hope the planets line up for you. They actually are supposed to, you know!

Rani Zemirah

We'll likely shoot for a Saturday morning arrival, so we'll only have one night in the van... but Merlin, you and Angus both have my number, so I can be reached.  I can't remember if you told me that Lady Nimue carries a magic box with her, or not, but if so, then she is certainly most welcome to use it to ascertain the whereabouts of Scally and myself! 

Oh, and at least one of us will be piratin', come the weekend!!!  ;)  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

Well, I'm all excited about our trip to Castleton! We'll be meeting some friends in person for the first time. Weather looks better every time I check. It's supposed to be cool, making it my first cool faire of the year, despite the fact that the first one was mid-February.

A notice to all who may hail us as we walk the faire: Nim and I both have some hearing deficiencies, so if we don't actually see you, we may not be hearing you. Sometimes we ignore, but it's not on purpose!

See everyone Saturday! HUZZAH!

Rani Zemirah

Oh, sometimes I just don't even think!!!  ::)  I took cash off my prepaid debit card for the trip, and basically emptied it filling up the tank, and then realized I hadn't bought my tickets yet.  It's going to cost us an extra $8 to buy them at the gate, all because I wasn't thinking...  (sigh) 

Does anyone have extras that they'd be willing to sell us at the online price?  We'll need two adult and two child tickets... 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on May 12, 2011, 06:12:58 PM
Oh, sometimes I just don't even think!!!  ::)  I took cash off my prepaid debit card for the trip, and basically emptied it filling up the tank, and then realized I hadn't bought my tickets yet.  It's going to cost us an extra $8 to buy them at the gate, all because I wasn't thinking...  (sigh)  

Does anyone have extras that they'd be willing to sell us at the online price?  We'll need two adult and two child tickets...  

Rani, the gypsy/belly dancer group that we hung out with at the King's Champion have made a big splash/hit with their show this year.  If you can reach them by text or email, they may be able to leave you a pass or other insider assistance at the gate.   Just an onlooker's observations but they seem to have gained some measure of prestige with their showsthis season in the castle and at the human chessboard.  Just a possible insider contact thought . . . if you don't have it worked out by Saturday.

Merlin the Elder

Archer, keep an eye open for us....we'll be wandering the streets of your fair shire this weekend! I'd be pleased to meet you.

Archer

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 12, 2011, 07:27:23 PM
Archer, keep an eye open for us....we'll be wandering the streets of your fair shire this weekend! I'd be pleased to meet you.

Same here Merlin.  I have a Killian's Red promise to fulfill with your attendance and have not forgotten.  I anticipate being there at gate opening and would be pleased to show you around and hope to say hello to our friend Angus as well.  With the expected cooler weather we should see some of the best garb out and about.  Last weekend was great but a bit warm in chainmail.   The king's yeomen were a bit warm also but this weekend may be perfect weather.

Merlin the Elder

I haven't thought to ask—or if I did, I've forgotten—what's a good time to arrive? Are there any pre-cannon festivities (a major item at my home faire)?

Archer

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 12, 2011, 07:40:55 PM
I haven't thought to ask—or if I did, I've forgotten—what's a good time to arrive? Are there any pre-cannon festivities (a major item at my home faire)?

If you arrive about 10:00 you'll get some closer free parking.  I park in the VIP area.  It costs five bucks but worth it with a large Hummer II.  The pre-gate/cannon activites are there outside the gate but just inside the entry courtyard.  There is a stage and the gathering grows quickly after 10:00 with some back and forth action about the events of the day.  I think this weekend is the KING'S FEAST if you decide to get tickets.   If you're going to the King's Smoker, get those early because they sell out quickly.  The main players get the dane's quite pumped before the cannon so its a mini show in itself.   Music and musicians are everywhere so bring your hearing aides as you will not want to miss out on the period music.   I also play several instruments but will not be bringing any Saturday.  I may do that on Sunday. You'll hear the live bagpipes in the parking area as you arrive.

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Archer on May 12, 2011, 07:24:59 PM
Quote from: Rani Zemirah on May 12, 2011, 06:12:58 PM
Oh, sometimes I just don't even think!!!  ::)  I took cash off my prepaid debit card for the trip, and basically emptied it filling up the tank, and then realized I hadn't bought my tickets yet.  It's going to cost us an extra $8 to buy them at the gate, all because I wasn't thinking...  (sigh) 

Does anyone have extras that they'd be willing to sell us at the online price?  We'll need two adult and two child tickets... 

Rani, the gypsy/belly dancer group that we hung out with at the King's Champion have made a big splash/hit with their show this year.  If you can reach them by text or email, they may be able to leave you a pass or other insider assistance at the gate.   Just an onlooker's observations but they seem to have gained some measure of prestige with their showsthis season in the castle and at the human chessboard.  Just a possible insider contact thought . . . if you don't have it worked out by Saturday.

I had thought of that, but since it's so last minute I decided not to try and bother them about it this time.  I'm so glad they are becoming popular out there!  I've been invited to spend some time with them in camp whenever I can make it out there, and I'm looking forward to introducing Merlin and his Nimue to them, and Angus, as well, if he decides to wander with us at any point this weekend!  I hope several of us can meet up and form a group, for at least a while each day!  I plan to tag along/drag along with Merlin and Nim as much as they will have us, and I think it would be fun to swell our ranks with as many R/Fer's as we can gather! 

We're going to try and set off from Edmond around 6am on Sat., giving us time to arrive and finish dressing in leisure... but I still haven't decided the most expedient route to travel, as of yet.  Should I take the norther route, and cut across hwy 16 after leaving the turnpike, or drop down to I-40 and then cut up? I'm wanting a quick trip, and would rather have as straight a shot as possible, so most likely the latter...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

You'll like that.  Their gypsy encampment area seems a tad cramped on space but they are near enough to get to hear the music of the Jolly Rogers in the Pirate area all day and they are quite entertaining.   Last weekend the belly dancers were doing their thing in the front entry area and did a great job with their show at the masked ball.  They've added some to their drummers and that pumps a crowd.   They are a friendly group.