News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Working with/wearing latex headpieces? (may be slightly OT)

Started by gem, March 01, 2011, 06:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Milord and I are going in costume to an event this summer where we'll be wearing latex alien heads (prosthetic foreheads on our real heads. Ahem.)--basically glorified bald caps. These are professional props/costume pieces from the film industry, so they're very high quality. I'm trying to find information on wearing them--how to attach them and blend the edges with makeup or whatever so they look natural and not like masks just jammed on our heads. But I'm a little out of my costuming element here, and I'm not sure what to look for!

Another issue is that one of the headpieces is slightly stained (it looks like it rested up against a painted surface in storage and had some paint/ink transfer). Any advice on touching that up so it looks like proper skin again?

I know we've had posts about latex ears and such here before, so I'm hoping some of the performers might be able to point me in the right direction to find the information we need!

(Also, I guess I'm making a giant assumption that they're latex. Would they be something else?)

Gramercy!!

Tygrkat

I have nothing helpful to add, I just really enjoyed the TMBG reference  ;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Butch

My dau wore those alien ears (elf ears?) so I know a little about the blending thing.  You know how to use the spirit gum already, yes?  I imagine you would use that around where the latex ends and your skin begins.  We used foundation makeup close to the color of her skin to blend the prosthetic into her.  It turned out quite nice!
Just regular makeup works.

isabelladangelo

This might take some of the color off the Klingon forehead (I'm guessing) so please be wary of that.   BUT!  For paint or ink transfer, just use a little bit of nailpolish remover.  I actually used that in college to get the white paint off the walls since the idiot painters had painted right over a lovely wallpaper border in my room.   (Because, really?  You couldn't take it down and then paint?   Did the students have to paint it themselves or something?)  I got all the paint off the border and the border was fine.

There is also this stuff called "goof off" that you get at the hardware store which is awesome.  It will get rid of anything but it's a bit more abrasive than the nailpolish remover (it's great on unfinished surfaces but not so much on things like pretty wood floors as I learned. )

Butch

Goof off works because it dissolves the latex in latex based paint; so be careful not to use it on your latex prosthetic.  Good stuff, though!

Alphena Brennafax

If it's a latex prosthetic, avoid all things oil based! Latex is fragile: oil, sunlight, prolongued heat and strong slovents will break down the piece.
Spirit gum or eyelash glue is used to secure the edges. Use a waterbased make-up to blend the seam between the prosthetic and your skin, Ben Nye is a good theatrical makeup line.

As for the stain, personally I would be hesitant to try anything like acetone on the piece. See what you can do with a mild soap and water first and maybe see if you can cover up the stain with make-up?

gem

Thanks, all! Tygrkat, you get extra points.  ;D

Alphena & Butch--great tips!! I was actually thinking covering up the stain was a better plan than trying to remove it. The pieces are fleshtone and smooth; is there something we could use to paint over the stains that would be more permanent than makeup? I used to do a lot of model painting, so my color-matching skills are pretty good. I'm just not sure what product is appropriate. I saw one website that said an airbrush and latex paint, but we're talking a teeny-tiny little blue mark here. Do they make latex paints for craft applications (as in, so I don't have to go to Home Depot for a whole pint)?

act2redux

could you just turn it into some sort of tatoo thing-y??

Alphena Brennafax

A basic craft acrylic, like FolkArt, should work. Especially if the mark you're covering is small. It's flexible and waterbased.

Stasiakatt

since these alien heads are professional quality, get professional quality/stage make-up that is made for use with things like this. I've never used anything like this, but I have been told that "regular" make-up will damage things like this (was about very high quality elf ears)

gem

Ok, so I found a bald cap kit from Mehron. We don't need the caps, but it has all the supplies, makeup, and instructions for what seems like a decent price. What say you all? Worth a try?

Stasiakatt

looks good to me, getting the "glue" and "glue remover" and make-up would probably cost about that seperately

Butch

Also, check the Party City and Party America stores we have around here; they have quite a selection of things of this nature.  Not as inexpensive as you find online, but convenient in case you run out and need more in a hurry!

gem

Ha! When I read this thread to Milord last night, we were cracking up that I had felt the need to stress that we would be *in costume* as we wore these alien heads! As if we planned on adopting them as part of our everyday mundane attire. Well, thanks to Butch, now we can! LOL

Delireus

I'm a technical theatre student right now, and they sell that Mehron stuff at our student union for the costume and make up class. I've got to say, that stuff sucks. It's so oily and gooified, it's like smearing grease on your face :( They sell it because they're cheap and honestly, if you're just taking the class for fun or you need the credit, you probably have no wish to buy good quality make-up at a higher cost, so it serves its purpose.

I would suggest Ben Nye or Kryolan brand make-up. They may carry these at Party City, but I have seen them at costuming stores too. Not like your average "here for 4 weeks before Halloween" stores that pop up and then disappear, I mean like established costume stores. Or see if there's a college or theatre near by that may sell what you need.

I called Ben Nye and ordered my kit from them over the phone (310-839-1984). I got the TK-1 creme makeup kit from them (http://www.bennyemakeup.com/image/2007_BNC_Catalog.pdf pg 38) and that cost me about 40-50$ I think, and I will be using that for years. Of the things you'll need, you'd get spirit gum, spirit gum remover, 3 different shades of creme foundation in your color choices based on your skin tone (faire, medium, olive and dark, I believe) make up brushes, liquid latex, a skin and bruise wheel, and makeup set powder, among many other things.

However, this is a major kit, and unless you're wearing your headpiece every day for months, you won't need this. I'd recommend their personal creme kit, on the next page. It does not include spirit gum, but like someone said, eyelash glue is good too. That costs about 15$ I beleive, but I don't really remember. But again, this will most definitely be enough for you even if you wore this once or twice a year for many years.

Don't get me wrong though, if this is a one time thing, then by all means, get the Mehron stuff. It is not bad, but of the stuff I've used over the years, it's my least favorite. But, it will be more than enough for what you need and it's not a bad deal. I don't mean to turn you off from them, I'm just giving you other options. But whatever you do, stay away from the crappy halloween stuff they sell at walmart!
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is