News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Moresca fairy bodice and skirt on ebay

Started by Rowan MacD, March 07, 2011, 03:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Becky10

with 16 minutes I thought I'd bump this up a bit, if i had the money I would!
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Rowan MacD

Both pieces sold for $152.00.
  I have never had a 22" waist (as an adult 5'5"female).  Man, that equals a less than size zero on the us misses size charts and approx a size 2 on other charts......and Moresca has a size even smaller than that!
IWG wench #3139 

dragongirl

They are beautiful pieces but I was never a size small.  Heck I don't even know anyone who could have fit them.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Lady Renee Buchanan

I think Moresca sizes run very small.  I wear a medium in all my other bodices:  Pendragon, Odd Bodkin, and Black Rose, but I have 2 large size Moresca's, and they don't close all the way, so I have modesty panels for them.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Sir. Kindle

I'm glad I found this thread.

My wife is also a medium from most other vendors, but when we ordered a medium bodice from Moresca, it turned out to be waaay too small. In fact, a friend of hers happened to be visiting the day it arrived and she's about as petite as anyone can be. Out of curiosity, we tried to fit the medium on her and it was still too small! My wife ended up with a large, but like you, Lady Renee, it still doesn't close all the way.

I'm not sure how they figure their sizes, but I wish we had found a thread like this one BEFORE we had bought the bodice. It would've saved us a few bucks in extra shipping.

Sir. Kindle

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Sir. Kindle on March 08, 2011, 08:19:47 PM
I'm glad I found this thread.
My wife is also a medium from most other vendors, but when we ordered a medium bodice from Moresca, it turned out to be waaay too small. In fact, a friend of hers happened to be visiting the day it arrived and she's about as petite as anyone can be. Out of curiosity, we tried to fit the medium on her and it was still too small! My wife ended up with a large, but like you, Lady Renee, it still doesn't close all the way.
I'm not sure how they figure their sizes, but I wish we had found a thread like this one BEFORE we had bought the bodice. It would've saved us a few bucks in extra shipping.
Sir. Kindle
I have both a Max and Max 2 bodices, and I had to provide measurements to them before I could buy in 2006 and again in 2010 when I ordered my new garb.  It's a good idea, since their sizes run the smallest I have ever seen from any vendor, and they do not provide sizing info on the site.   
   I looked up an old email from when I ordered my first bodice in 2006, keeping in mind the smallest measurement is still not completely closed:
  Small-22-24" waist, ?-bust (mega tiny) 
  Medium-24-30" waist, 30" bust. 
  Large-30-34" waist, 35" bust.
  The bust is supposed to smash you flat, and it does, which can be really uncomfortable if you are well endowed, the upside being you don't have to worry about 'fallout' even if you hang upside down. Personally, I can NOT get a 30" or 35" bust laced closed without breaking ribs.
   In one of their emails, Customer service asked if I was a regular corset wearer,  (I have to assume they meant corset as in waist training).  They said that makes a major difference in how their products fit, and it could be why their sizes run so small. I only know two people who are corset makers as well as waist trainers, and they both have 19" waists.  They also wear heavy corsets 18 hours a day, year round.   
   My advice is, if you must have one of these delicious confections; provide accurate measurements and/or specify that you want something that will lace to within an inch of full closed or learn to live with the fact you will most likely not get one of these closed all the way from top to bottom (regardless of what the models on the website show) unless you are bone-thin.  If you are curvy and still want a full coverage bodice look elsewhere.
That said, Moresca makes some of the ruggedest bodices out there.  You can reef these babies down until you pass out and the grommets will not pull out.  They are also boned very well. 

IWG wench #3139 

Lady Renee Buchanan

I bought my first Moresca at Scarborough Faire, so they tried several sizes on me, and the large fit with a modest opening (I bought the Frou Frou, which I love, but it doesn't close completely in the front).

So based on the large I already was fitted for, I bought the pirate and the Max 2, both in large.  Neither close, but I still love them.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

raevyncait

I have 2 Maxes, both are I think XXL, neither closes completely, but do close enough for my comfort. My first bodice purchase was a Pirate bodice. Also in an XXL I think.  My complaint with both the Pirate and the Fairy is that they continue to sell them to women with D/DD/DDD & up busts, which results in HEAVAGE FROM HELL in every case that I've ever seen. It is the only bodice I've worn that drove me nuts, simply because I spent more time trying to keep the girls in control, no matter how much I tucked them in, they kept spilling out. I thought perhaps part of the problem was that I am very long waisted, but I've seen the same thing happen on shorter-waisted women, so it's not just me! And there's also the fact that they will sell that XXL fairy bodice to the 350 lb woman who has to have the longest laces available just to tie the sides together, never mind getting the gaps within 2 or 3 inches! I do have a friend whose Moresca Pirate bodice is like 8 years old, gets run through the washing machine on gentle cycle about once a year, and she re-dyed it black last year because it had gotten faded, but she loves it and is still getting the wear she wants out of it.

I have had one of the Pendragon tooled bodices, which I purchased used, in an XL Tall, with an additional inch and a half added to the length. the fit around was just fine, but the length was shorter than I'm comfortable with, so I sold it to someone it fits better.

My favorite is a corset that I bought also used, and haven't a clue as to who the maker is, because I love the silhouette it gives me.

Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

TheAlchemistsStar

I was the winning bidder on eBay.  I purchased the bodice for my daughter who is quite thin and wants to start dressing more fae-like at faire this year.  I just couldn't bring myself to spend $250 on a brand new one.

Moresca sizing most definitely runs small.  I normally wear a large in other bodices but the XXL was most comfortable in Moresca.  I have the Max 2.   I am also quite well endowed, so when I tried on the pirate bodice, I was dismayed at how little coverage it provided. 

I absolutely love my Max 2; the girls do not move at all :)
VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

Rowan MacD

Quote from: TheAlchemistsStar on March 10, 2011, 07:12:17 PM
I was the winning bidder on eBay.  I purchased the bodice for my daughter who is quite thin and wants to start dressing more fae-like at faire this year.  I just couldn't bring myself to spend $250 on a brand new one.

Moresca sizing most definitely runs small.  I normally wear a large in other bodices but the XXL was most comfortable in Moresca.  I have the Max 2.   I am also quite well endowed, so when I tried on the pirate bodice, I was dismayed at how little coverage it provided.  

I absolutely love my Max 2; the girls do not move at all :)
That auction was a great deal.  Congrats!

I don't have any problems with coverage either, but I have heard numerous complaints from longwaisted ladies that the bodices shift too far down.
  For someone with a standard waist length,  I think the straps are still a bit too long,  since strap slippage is a very common complaint.  I have to pin my straps an inch down inside the bodice to keep them on my shoulders.  Epic Heavage is a side effect of a Moresca bodice, and I have since ordered one of Lady Kathleens' lovely Partlet blouses to help deal with it.
  That 'sweetheart' neckline on the pirate is too daring for me.  I love the way it makes the waist look tiny, but the bust is way out of my comfort level.  Most ladies I know (even the pirates) will wear a chemise that covers 3-4" of skin above the edge of the bodice, the usual dust ruffle won't cut it for coverage.  
IWG wench #3139