News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faux Paux at the Maryland Renn Faire

Started by Gremlich, March 01, 2011, 09:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gremlich

After hosting The Rogues for 16 years,the Maryland Renaissance Festival has decided to not renew them for the 2011 season. I am sure that the many fans will be dumbstruck, but they may find that the band will find a new Faire willing to give them a home to spend the season at. This decision hot on the heels of their many 2010 successes was a shock.

analise

So what if they go to a new faire? Good for them! I hope they do!

I'm still personally dumbfounded at how many people apparently only go to MDRF for the Rogues. Seriously?

Merlin the Elder

That would be sad, Analise. There's so much more to a good faire. MDRF looks like a wonderful place! I hope to get there one of these fine days.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

analise

It is a great faire. :) I mean, I have my favorite shows I'd be sad to see go, too...but...I wouldn't stop going just because of them.

There are so many things that make the faire for me and the shows are just a small part of it.

That said, if there were no shows, it wouldn't be faire either. :)

daniel paul

Gremlich

Gremlich

Quote from: analise on March 02, 2011, 04:45:18 PM
So what if they go to a new faire? Good for them! I hope they do!

I'm still personally dumbfounded at how many people apparently only go to MDRF for the Rogues. Seriously?

And you can't leave out the people that go to the MDRF, take up space at the Dragon Inn, drink all day and don't leave unless it's for food or closing. For that, I am "personally dumbfounded".

If they had let Hack and Slash, a "Fool named "O"" or any of the other ever present acts go, would you have said "I'm still personally dumbfounded at how many people apparently only go to MDRF for (insert act here). Seriously?"

People didn't/don't go to the MDRF just for the Rogues or for Hack and Slash. Well, maybe a statistically insignificant number do, but you could make an argument that the MDRF has been getting more and more crowded due in part from their presence or Hack and Slash for that matter - standing room only for almost every show for either act. (Bad Rogues! Bringing in business. Shame!)  You could also argue that it is pure coincidence and that drawing a correllary between Faire attendance and the Rogues or any of the other "institutional" acts is conspiracy theory.

As was pointed out, there is much else there to see and do, but few, if any, of the musical acts are oriented towards the whole segment of Renn Faire guests as The Rogues were. The Pyrates Royal, O'Danny girls, the Medieval Babes, Wine and Alchemy and the other acts are PATENTLY oriented towards older teens and adults. Of course, that's who the paying public really is, so fair enough. There are, to be sure, events for the kiddies, like some of the plays, juggling, Jacob's ladder, Johnny Fox and the Joust. You could even include Fight School (VERY fun), Hack and Slash (a couple of great guys who do much charity work) and A cappella groups like Larksong. And of course, the shopping and the food. However, many of the Faire's musical acts are oriented towards adults (no surprise) and many of those acts can be bawdy, if not risque. The Rogues did entertain everybody and I do not recall gaggles of kids doing the whirling dervish in front of any other band there. Maybe Albannach, but they are all about family and Clan anyway and sadly infrequent.

I can understand if the impetus was financial, the bottom line in this current economy is to keep it in the black as best as possible. With the Rogues having done as well as they have during 2010, it may have gotten too expensive to renew them. Can't find fault with that decision.

raevyncait

Quote from: Gremlich on March 05, 2011, 12:41:15 PM

And you can't leave out the people that go to the MDRF, take up space at the Dragon Inn, drink all day and don't leave unless it's for food or closing. For that, I am "personally dumbfounded".

If they had let Hack and Slash, a "Fool named "O"" or any of the other ever present acts go, would you have said "I'm still personally dumbfounded at how many people apparently only go to MDRF for (insert act here). Seriously?"

People didn't/don't go to the MDRF just for the Rogues or for Hack and Slash. Well, maybe a statistically insignificant number do, but you could make an argument that the MDRF has been getting more and more crowded due in part from their presence or Hack and Slash for that matter - standing room only for almost every show for either act. (Bad Rogues! Bringing in business. Shame!)  You could also argue that it is pure coincidence and that drawing a correllary between Faire attendance and the Rogues or any of the other "institutional" acts is conspiracy theory.

As was pointed out, there is much else there to see and do, but few, if any, of the musical acts are oriented towards the whole segment of Renn Faire guests as The Rogues were. The Pyrates Royal, O'Danny girls, the Medieval Babes, Wine and Alchemy and the other acts are PATENTLY oriented towards older teens and adults. Of course, that's who the paying public really is, so fair enough. There are, to be sure, events for the kiddies, like some of the plays, juggling, Jacob's ladder, Johnny Fox and the Joust. You could even include Fight School (VERY fun), Hack and Slash (a couple of great guys who do much charity work) and A cappella groups like Larksong. And of course, the shopping and the food. However, many of the Faire's musical acts are oriented towards adults (no surprise) and many of those acts can be bawdy, if not risque. The Rogues did entertain everybody and I do not recall gaggles of kids doing the whirling dervish in front of any other band there. Maybe Albannach, but they are all about family and Clan anyway and sadly infrequent.

I can understand if the impetus was financial, the bottom line in this current economy is to keep it in the black as best as possible. With the Rogues having done as well as they have during 2010, it may have gotten too expensive to renew them. Can't find fault with that decision.

OK, I have stayed out of the fray over on Facebook, but here I go.  First off, let me say that this post comes as MY OWN, and NOT as a representative of the band.  I have been a fan for probably 7 years, a FRIEND/FAMILY/EMPLOYEE since 2008.  I have friends at many festivals, who have invited me to travel and visit their festivals.  Most of my faire visits are in TX, however I have been to MDRF, Sterling, PARF, and CRF.  The one time that I visited MDRF, I went SPECIFICALLY so that I could spend my birthday weekend with my friends, The Rogues. Aside from them, my friends with whom I was staying, and The other members of the Rogues family who come to Scarby specifically to see some of us and the boys (oh the horror, someone coming to Scarby from out of state specifically to see a specific act?? \sarcasm), the people I encountered were standoffish and aloof at best, and quite rude at worst.  I absolutely have no interest in going to MDRF without the Rogues, largely because the vendors I am interested in, as well as the other acts, I can see at other festivals, all of which are MUCH closer, thus lowering my costs for travel & leaving me more $ to spend with vendors & tipping.

As Nelson Stewart noted in AT LEAST one of the Facebook threads, the band has NEVER asked for more money, but MDRF has consistently offered them more money each season. At least from the band's standpoint, it is NOT about money. The festival felt it was more prudent to throw money at other acts. Unfortunately, IN MY OPINION, they waited awfully late to let the band know, as most of the major festivals have already booked their stages for the next 6 months, although there may be open weekends here and there.  That being said, again IN MY OPINION, this will give them the opportunity to appear in more places, with shorter runs, getting them some exposure in parts of the country they've not performed recently, and hopefully sell lots of merchandise.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

analise

QuoteIf they had let Hack and Slash, a "Fool named "O"" or any of the other ever present acts go, would you have said "I'm still personally dumbfounded at how many people apparently only go to MDRF for (insert act here). Seriously?"

Uh yes, I would. The faire is, to me, far more than any single act or show. Do I have my own favorites that I'd be sad to miss (like Fight School)? Well, yes. I might even complain about missing them to my friends.

But refuse to go to MDRF because one show I'm a big fan of isn't going to be there? No.

For the record, I like the Rogues, I like bagpipes, and they're a lot of fun to listen to.

Do I think it's weird they weren't asked back? Yes, actually, but I Am Not Someone Who Makes Decisions For MDRF so I'm not privy to the decision making process there. Considering how much of a success the festival is, I rather doubt it was a decision made lightly.

Gremlich

Quote from: analise on March 08, 2011, 04:09:52 PM

Do I think it's weird they weren't asked back? Yes, actually, but I Am Not Someone Who Makes Decisions For MDRF so I'm not privy to the decision making process there. Considering how much of a success the festival is, I rather doubt it was a decision made lightly.

What is weirder than not being asked back at all was that they weren't even offered a single weekend or a single day. That detail alone can tell you that the decision was not because of money and was made quite easily and without guilt, irrespective of statements to the contrary.

If the Art Director was indeed a friend to the Rogues, they would have known earlier, before the other Faires had established their line-ups, and they would have been given two to three consecutive weekends which would have allowed other acts to break into the MDRF. That latter consideration is devil's advocacy to warrant consideration for the decision to not renew.

I go to Faire because it's a great value, I didn't feel bad relinquishing control of my surplus cash to the vendors and the food I ate was always worth the price. The Rogues being there made it that much more enjoyable because I didn't care for many of the established musical acts that are there every weekend like the Rogues were. Which brings to mind, since the draw on some of those bands isn't even close to what the Rogues bring, why aren't they gone as well, and with the same late notice.

I do so love a conspiracy. Makes you wonder why the Rogues can't get into Scarby.

Regardless of my meanderings, The Rogues still will have a presence all over the US and will still be in the Baltimore/DC area for their charity work with Operation Ward 57 (shameless plug).

Cheers!

Lady Neysa

It's  a shame the Rogues won't be back this year, but it absolutely won't stop me from attending.  They are just one of many, many things I enjoy at faire. Heck, I'd be majorly bummed if Fight School ever stopped performing. They ARE a major reason why I go to faire, but far from the only one.  I attended long before I learned who they, or the Rogues were, and I'll keep on attending.  You never know when you might fall in love with some other act, if you're willing to give the chance.

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Faires are business. Plain and simple. However, that does not excuse management's treating acts, especially long run acts, like disposable ketchup packets. We've been treated like this by another faire; let go with no warning and only weeks before Faire season started.

I hope The Rogues get some even better gigs.  That's how it worked with us. The Lord taketh away, and a better Lord giveth.
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724