News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Zip ties

Started by Taffy Saltwater, March 04, 2011, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taffy Saltwater

Anyone else having trouble finding strong enough zip ties?  The ones I'm finding now seem to be wimpy, wimpy, wimpy.  I finally broke down and bought spiral/steel bones and I'm muuuuch happier with the results, having tossed the last bodice I made in the trash since the bosom collapsed while wearing it.
Sveethot!

DonaCatalina

I never used zip ties since they always looked skimpy to me.
I have always used cabling from lumber bundles.
It also helps that the busk on my corset is 1/4" think plexiglass.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Taffy!

Check your local hardware store or Lowe's and Home Depot in the Industrial Plumbing section. The cable ties we all use come on 34" to 36" lengths bundles of 6.

They work great for boning corsets and bodices. A heck of a lot cheaper than the individual coated metal boning.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

I had this same thought a couple of summers ago, when I mistakenly bought cable ties that weren't strong enough! They *looked* just like my standard ones, but were much, much more flexible. Luckily, I still had the packaging from an old bunch, and discovered they were a different brand! I use those other ones for mockups now.

I use Malco brand 36" duct ties from Home Depot. For some reason, they're not stocked with the rest of the cable ties, and we always have to ask where they are (and I bring the old package with me, just in case).

For people new to duct-tie-boning, we're talking about the extreme heavy duty zip ties. They're 3/8" thick, and you can see a comparison shot here.

Taffy Saltwater

Thanks!  I'll check out out the plumbing section next time.  The ones I've been using were from the electrical department.
Sveethot!

Cilean

Quote from: gem on March 04, 2011, 04:03:27 PM

I use Malco brand 36" duct ties from Home Depot. For some reason, they're not stocked with the rest of the cable ties, and we always have to ask where they are (and I bring the old package with me, just in case). For people new to duct-tie-boning, we're talking about the extreme heavy duty zip ties. They're 3/8" thick, and you can see a comparison shot here.

Hey Gem??

My dratted Home Depot does not handle that variety, so I have to send out for it!! We have a different type!! So I picked up that and I glued the dratted things together and then used them in my channels!

Cilean
Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

gem

That would work too! I would think you could also forgo the glue and just stack two in a channel.

isabelladangelo

I've seen the duct ties (the thick type of zip ties you need) in the duct section of Home Depot, True Value, and at Lowes.  My Dad calls is modern whaleboning. 

LadyShadow

I use the duct ties. My hubby and Dad are A/C men, so I get them in fast and free supply  (well free to me) ;D
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Adriana Rose

Ive used some that I begged my brother in law to bring home from the coal mine. I donno the brand but they are wicked strong

CaraGreenleaf

I love using the cable-ties! My only problem is the brand that I use (found at Menard's...the name currently eludes me) used to be packaged flat...Now they're packaged in a loose coil. I can't get the curve out of them!!  :'( Any suggestions??? I've already tried the heavy book and nailing them to the wall for 72 hrs. They still suffered a sturdy curve. I didn't have time to wait anymore and curling them backwards just set the curve going the other direction. I ended up putting them into the channels, curving opposite directions to the ones' next to them, but I'd rather not have to do that....Any ideas, ladies??
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

Becky10

Quote from: CaraGreenleaf on April 16, 2011, 02:52:12 PM
I love using the cable-ties! My only problem is the brand that I use (found at Menard's...the name currently eludes me) used to be packaged flat...Now they're packaged in a loose coil. I can't get the curve out of them!!  :'( Any suggestions??? I've already tried the heavy book and nailing them to the wall for 72 hrs. They still suffered a sturdy curve. I didn't have time to wait anymore and curling them backwards just set the curve going the other direction. I ended up putting them into the channels, curving opposite directions to the ones' next to them, but I'd rather not have to do that....Any ideas, ladies??

Have you tried using a hair straightener on them? Sounds odd but I had been having the same problem with some of my crafting supplies (plastic and wire bundles) and ran one over them and it seemed to fix it up pretty well. I would definitely use it on one you're not too fond of though  :D.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Adriana Rose

If you have a laptop strech them out under it and let them sit with it on for a while. If it gets warm under there the heat will make it hold the flatness

gem

Now that they're in the bodice, you can iron them! Regular featherweight boning straightens up nicely when ironed, so I'd think it would at least help the heavy-duty stuff. Obviously you don't want to put the iron directly on them.

CaraGreenleaf

Great suggestions, ladies...I'll have to try the laptop trick, Adriana, as my laptop gets quite warm!!

Devangelon

They really do support well in corsets and bodices? I'm rather skeptical about stuff like this. I've been taught to only use steel. If it really does work though, I will give it a shot. :D

CaraGreenleaf

This is my second corset made with duck cloth and zip ties - they both stand on their own and are more supportive than anything else I've ever worn!! You can see my work here...and if you look deeper into my blog (under 2008) you can see the structure of my first with the bones made of cable ties before they're cut! Be careful if you go this route, though....You won't want to use your good scissors! But scissors *will* cut the bones! No need for special tools to cut them to shape!

http://cara-greenleaf-designs.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-corset-update.html

Once Debauched

Quote from: Devangelon on April 16, 2011, 10:49:12 PM
They really do support well in corsets and bodices? I'm rather skeptical about stuff like this. I've been taught to only use steel. If it really does work though, I will give it a shot. :D

I actually removed the thin steel boning in my first bodice (kept rubbing through the fabric and popping out at the most inconvenient times) and replaced it with monster zip ties.  Trimmed them up then melted the tips with a lighter to "smooth" them out.  No cussing or crimping!

I swear by them.

EDIT: PLUS they're washable!
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

Alysea

Quote from: CaraGreenleaf on April 16, 2011, 10:54:39 PM
This is my second corset made with duck cloth and zip ties - they both stand on their own and are more supportive than anything else I've ever worn!! You can see my work here...and if you look deeper into my blog (under 2008) you can see the structure of my first with the bones made of cable ties before they're cut! Be careful if you go this route, though....You won't want to use your good scissors! But scissors *will* cut the bones! No need for special tools to cut them to shape!

http://cara-greenleaf-designs.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-corset-update.html

I use the hand held pruning shears to trim my zip tie bones.  Just have to watch out for the flying ends sometimes!!
Lady Alysea
Baroness of Delfinhal
Protector of Our Majesties Dolphins

gem

Alysea, me, too! A few years ago I bought some utility shears at Home Depot for cutting cardboard, carpeting, etc... and find them invaluable for trimming cable ties (in fact, that's where they get most of their use!). And the Dremel I bought to do the dogs' nails is perfect for smoothing out the ends...

LadyMeg

Adding my love to the zip-tie world!    I love zip-ties and spiral steel but keep the steel for my victorian attempts as the zip-ties work wonders for my Elizabethan corset.  Granted, I'm pretty flat chested, so I don't really even need a corset (I can get away with a heavily boned bodice, even in noble garb) but I love that I can wash it.  I actually use the smaller ones and double them up since I don't need the support and the thing has never collapsed, even survived moving boxes and being shoved in all sorts of places for travel.

I do have to ask: does burning the ends to smooth them really work?  I've wanted to try it but afraid I'll just end up burning plastic and that never smells good.
|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

DonaCatalina

Tandy Leather Factory 304700 Leathercraft Scissors 7 :... Corrosion-resistant, Stainless-steel Blades Never Need Sharpening.
Over 14 years old and mine still cut leather and zip ties like butter.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Butch

LadyMeg, the trick is to NOT catch them on fire; just hold the end over the flame long enough for it to soften, then remove it from the heat.  All you're trying to do is blunten (is that a word?) the sharp edges.  So, once you cut them to the size/shape you need, just hold the cut end over the flame until it softens, them remove it.  You should be fine!

Lady Rebecca

I tried the burning for the edges, but I find that just a couple brushes with some really scratchy sand-paper does the trick for me. Though I tend to cut all the corners off on the edges anyway.

Kate XXXXXX

I trim the ends of my plastic boning with nail clippers and then file if necessary.

I bind the ends of flat steels with plumbers PTF tape.

serenamoonsilver

I'm actually getting ready to try this in a bustier I'm making for my steampunk outfit.  Any advice?  I got the ones you all recomended.  In the pattern (Simplicity 2172) instructions I'm following it says to sew the casings to the seams.  I'm assuming that since the zip ties didn't come with casings, I'll have to make my own.  Any suggestions on doing this I should know?

Kate XXXXXX

Use bias tape and sew it on as if it was bone casing.

gem

I *heart* that pattern. I have a couple of thoughts on this. First, I'm not sure I'd use cable ties for it, actually. Since it's Victorian, you might want something more flexible--the cable ties won't curve over your bust properly--or comfortably! In the tan version on the left, you can better see where the boning goes (especially in this pic). I'm worried about cable ties + that curve right there.

Maybe a lighter-weight cable tie? But does that then defeat the point of cable ties? LOL

HOWEVER, if you're determined to use cable ties, I'd build the bustier like any other corset--with at least one layer of flatlining/interlining, and sew boning channels into the inner layers of the garment.

Kate XXXXXX

Oh, that's a FUN pattern!  I'd use spiral boning on that, myself...