News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Zip ties

Started by Taffy Saltwater, March 04, 2011, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devangelon

They really do support well in corsets and bodices? I'm rather skeptical about stuff like this. I've been taught to only use steel. If it really does work though, I will give it a shot. :D

CaraGreenleaf

This is my second corset made with duck cloth and zip ties - they both stand on their own and are more supportive than anything else I've ever worn!! You can see my work here...and if you look deeper into my blog (under 2008) you can see the structure of my first with the bones made of cable ties before they're cut! Be careful if you go this route, though....You won't want to use your good scissors! But scissors *will* cut the bones! No need for special tools to cut them to shape!

http://cara-greenleaf-designs.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-corset-update.html

Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

Once Debauched

Quote from: Devangelon on April 16, 2011, 10:49:12 PM
They really do support well in corsets and bodices? I'm rather skeptical about stuff like this. I've been taught to only use steel. If it really does work though, I will give it a shot. :D

I actually removed the thin steel boning in my first bodice (kept rubbing through the fabric and popping out at the most inconvenient times) and replaced it with monster zip ties.  Trimmed them up then melted the tips with a lighter to "smooth" them out.  No cussing or crimping!

I swear by them.

EDIT: PLUS they're washable!
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

Alysea

Quote from: CaraGreenleaf on April 16, 2011, 10:54:39 PM
This is my second corset made with duck cloth and zip ties - they both stand on their own and are more supportive than anything else I've ever worn!! You can see my work here...and if you look deeper into my blog (under 2008) you can see the structure of my first with the bones made of cable ties before they're cut! Be careful if you go this route, though....You won't want to use your good scissors! But scissors *will* cut the bones! No need for special tools to cut them to shape!

http://cara-greenleaf-designs.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-corset-update.html

I use the hand held pruning shears to trim my zip tie bones.  Just have to watch out for the flying ends sometimes!!
Lady Alysea
Baroness of Delfinhal
Protector of Our Majesties Dolphins

gem

Alysea, me, too! A few years ago I bought some utility shears at Home Depot for cutting cardboard, carpeting, etc... and find them invaluable for trimming cable ties (in fact, that's where they get most of their use!). And the Dremel I bought to do the dogs' nails is perfect for smoothing out the ends...

LadyMeg

Adding my love to the zip-tie world!    I love zip-ties and spiral steel but keep the steel for my victorian attempts as the zip-ties work wonders for my Elizabethan corset.  Granted, I'm pretty flat chested, so I don't really even need a corset (I can get away with a heavily boned bodice, even in noble garb) but I love that I can wash it.  I actually use the smaller ones and double them up since I don't need the support and the thing has never collapsed, even survived moving boxes and being shoved in all sorts of places for travel.

I do have to ask: does burning the ends to smooth them really work?  I've wanted to try it but afraid I'll just end up burning plastic and that never smells good.
|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

DonaCatalina

Tandy Leather Factory 304700 Leathercraft Scissors 7 :... Corrosion-resistant, Stainless-steel Blades Never Need Sharpening.
Over 14 years old and mine still cut leather and zip ties like butter.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Butch

LadyMeg, the trick is to NOT catch them on fire; just hold the end over the flame long enough for it to soften, then remove it from the heat.  All you're trying to do is blunten (is that a word?) the sharp edges.  So, once you cut them to the size/shape you need, just hold the cut end over the flame until it softens, them remove it.  You should be fine!

Lady Rebecca

I tried the burning for the edges, but I find that just a couple brushes with some really scratchy sand-paper does the trick for me. Though I tend to cut all the corners off on the edges anyway.

Kate XXXXXX

I trim the ends of my plastic boning with nail clippers and then file if necessary.

I bind the ends of flat steels with plumbers PTF tape.

serenamoonsilver

I'm actually getting ready to try this in a bustier I'm making for my steampunk outfit.  Any advice?  I got the ones you all recomended.  In the pattern (Simplicity 2172) instructions I'm following it says to sew the casings to the seams.  I'm assuming that since the zip ties didn't come with casings, I'll have to make my own.  Any suggestions on doing this I should know?

Kate XXXXXX

Use bias tape and sew it on as if it was bone casing.

gem

I *heart* that pattern. I have a couple of thoughts on this. First, I'm not sure I'd use cable ties for it, actually. Since it's Victorian, you might want something more flexible--the cable ties won't curve over your bust properly--or comfortably! In the tan version on the left, you can better see where the boning goes (especially in this pic). I'm worried about cable ties + that curve right there.

Maybe a lighter-weight cable tie? But does that then defeat the point of cable ties? LOL

HOWEVER, if you're determined to use cable ties, I'd build the bustier like any other corset--with at least one layer of flatlining/interlining, and sew boning channels into the inner layers of the garment.

Kate XXXXXX

Oh, that's a FUN pattern!  I'd use spiral boning on that, myself...