News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Question about Photography at MNRF

Started by dbaldock, July 17, 2010, 01:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock

I've heard that certain faires and events will allow people to bring in and use Point-n-Shoot Cameras, but not (D)SLR Cameras with interchangeable lenses.

What's the Camera policy at MNRF?

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Noble Dreg

See them there all the time.  They even have an official photo contest (hard to do without a camera!).

http://www.renaissancefest.com/MRF/media/media.html

The issue crops up occasionally, years ago anyone who resembled a professional photographer was asked to sign a "noncommercial use form".

Cameras are too ubiquitous to ban these days, even most concert venues have given up as every cell phone is a camera/video recorder.

Magicboxman and DB are your real experts here, give 'em a pm.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Noble Dreg

I found thier policy on the site...

"Film/Photo Rights:
All film rights are reserved. Commercial use of photos, videos or audio tapes made at the festival without written permission from the Marketing Department is strictly prohibited."

No mention of SLR's.

They do however ban..."Axes, Claymores, Maces, Antique Firearms, Pikes and Halberds are NOT allowed on the Festival site."
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

groomporter

There was some discussion last year about someone who got bugged by Safety Services about their camera, but I think the got it worked out in the end
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=8844.0
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

dbaldock

Thanks for the replies.  I'll be bringing my Nikon D90 DSLR on vacation, and just wanted to check and see whether I should bring it or my Samsung L55W Point-n-Shoot to MNRF on Labor Day weekend.

Thanks again,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

So, I used my Nikon D90, and submitted some of the photos I shot to the "Royal Photo Contest".

When do they do the judging and post the results?

Take Care,
David Baldock

majikboxman

It'd be best to ask the front office these questions.  I can not confirm any rules 'nor will I speculate' but it seems the rules for 2011 will be different from years past.
This Space For Rent

DeadBishop

Quote from: majikboxman on January 23, 2011, 04:09:04 PM
It'd be best to ask the front office these questions.  I can not confirm any rules 'nor will I speculate' but it seems the rules for 2011 will be different from years past.

Hmm...I checked the website, but this is all I see..

"Film/Photo Rights:

All film rights are reserved. Commercial use of photos, videos or audio tapes made at the festival without written permission from the Marketing Department is strictly prohibited.   "

Looks the same as previous years. What would be different about this year?

R/F.com member since 2003

groomporter

majikboxman

Wait for it.  I'm sure you'll hear more closer to spring/summer months.

Quote from: DeadBishop on January 24, 2011, 01:40:28 AM
Quote from: majikboxman on January 23, 2011, 04:09:04 PM

Hmm...I checked the website, but this is all I see..

"Film/Photo Rights:

All film rights are reserved. Commercial use of photos, videos or audio tapes made at the festival without written permission from the Marketing Department is strictly prohibited.   "

Looks the same as previous years. What would be different about this year?
This Space For Rent

NugBlazer

I know I'm late to the party here, but I can 100% unequivocally guarantee that you can bring an SLR into MNRF, and, FWIW, Scarby too.  Many's the time I've done it.   ;D
Well met!  Shall we commence a Safety Meeting at once?

groomporter

That has been the case in the past, but there have been rumors going around that MNRF was going to change the policy and restrict cameras they thought were "professional" or something like that.

Ms Trish

A professional can take an amazing photo with any camera. Having a fancy camera these days does not a photographer make.
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

DeadBishop

Quote from: Ms Trish on April 19, 2011, 10:27:49 AM
A professional can take an amazing photo with any camera.  Having a fancy camera these days does not a photographer make.

BINGO!  WE HAVE A WINNER!  Tell her what she's won, Chuck!

R/F.com member since 2003

Ms Trish

If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!