News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Second time to OKRF--tips from locals? :-)

Started by Aniroaldawen, March 10, 2011, 01:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aniroaldawen

I'm bringing 2 to 5 friends to OKRF from the Kansas City area May 14-15. This is my second time coming, and my first time spending more than one day at OKRF. We are probably looking to camp out near the faire to save money; can anyone recommend camping/other lodging that's not too expensive? What are the must-see/do/eat/etc things at OKRF? We're already planning on seeing the Jolly Rogers as their "home" faire is our home faire too :-) We could really use tips on lodging/camping that won't break our budgets or have us in bad areas of town!! Super super SUPER excited to visit Castleton!!  ;D

Craigmeister

Ezndil/Ezra & Dilly are a great musical act.  They played inside the castle's banquet hall last year.  They play good Celtic music & are entertaining to boot.  The Brothers Dimm mud show is entertaining as well.  Don't sit in the front 6 rows if you want to stay clean.

If you would like a nice, affordable longbow, look for the Siegework Creations booth.  David is a good bowyer.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

BLAKDUKE

MEADOWBROOK RV PARK IS JUST A BIT SOUTH OF THE CASTLE.  THAT IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CROPS UP ON MAPQUEST.

THERE ARE OTHERS BUT THEY SEEM TO BE A BIT OF A DISTANCE.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

The Rabbi

As for actual primitive campsites (tent camping) I can not think of any in that area bear in mind I reserve the right to be wrong. There are several RV sites within a 10 mile radiouse and traffic out here is no problem. I too would highly recomend Ezra & Dilly however they are performing at another festival that weekend. I will need to be in Muskogee before the end of the month and will try to see what else is available campwise.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Rani Zemirah

I would also like camping info for places with tent sites, since we don't HAVE an RV!  That would be a huge help, in fact, and might mean the difference between a weekend at Faire or a single day trip...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

http://www.shopoklahoma.com/sequobay.htm

Maybe twenty minutes drive from this state park to the Castle in Muskogee.   
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Rani Zemirah

Hmmm... that might be workable.  I'll have to look into it.  Thank you, Archer! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lionforgesmithy

http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.3236

Here's a listing for green leaf state park. One of my fellow blacksmiths normally stays out their for one or two weekends with his family. I believe he said its about a 30 minute drive to the castle from there.

Rani Zemirah

I wish there was more of an OKRF Faire community presence here on R/F... so I would already know people once I got there, and have someone to wander around with during the day. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

Do you know which weekend you plan to go, Rani?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

At this point I still have no idea if we'll even be able to go.  Everything depends on finances, and since we'll be making a trip to Spirit of Magic in mid May, I'm just not sure we'll be able to get out there.  I'll just have to figure it out when it gets a bit closer... sorry. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

Quote from: Lionforgesmithy on March 20, 2011, 09:54:58 PM
http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.3236

Here's a listing for green leaf state park. One of my fellow blacksmiths normally stays out their for one or two weekends with his family. I believe he said its about a 30 minute drive to the castle from there.

This is also a nice park and scenic drive from there into Muskogee.   It also has cabins available built by German POW of WWII that are in good shape today.  It does have a covered fishing dock. It has a nice play ground for the kiddies.  I would disagree that it is a thirty minute drive.  More like 45 minutes or more,  plus stop lights/traffic coming into Muskogee from that direction and slow moving military traffic going to and from Camp Gruber on many weekends of the month due to National Guard weekend drills and firing range practice.   Occasionally, in summer you can see full scale activity by various units staging airborne attacks upon this location right next to Greenleaf.  It has some nice hiking trails also that run near the the lake but if it is a faire weekend, maybe no time to take that in.  Park showers/facilities,  not as good or modern as the modern ones available at the park mentioned in my earlier post.

@Merlin:  Hope to see you there.  Have season pass so presently expecting to be there all weekends. 

Laundry Lasses

Just as a side note, I believe that several of the area hotels will give you a discount if you mention that you're coming to the renaissance festival, specifically, I know that Regency Inn does.

http://okrf2011.myemags.biz/

That is the 2011 program online if you'd like a sneak peek.  hard copies are available at the front gate for $1 and are very much worth it!

Stop by and see the Laundry Lasses sometime during your visit :)

Archer

Quote from: Laundry Lasses on April 28, 2011, 11:34:27 PM
Just as a side note, I believe that several of the area hotels will give you a discount if you mention that you're coming to the renaissance festival, specifically, I know that Regency Inn does.

http://okrf2011.myemags.biz/

That is the 2011 program online if you'd like a sneak peek.  hard copies are available at the front gate for $1 and are very much worth it!

Stop by and see the Laundry Lasses sometime during your visit :)

Good job on opening day, especially at the smoker.