News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First Timer!

Started by IndeanaSunday, March 11, 2011, 01:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Dacre

Quote from: IndeanaSunday on March 11, 2011, 01:10:44 PM
Hi, Folks!
I just moved the the west coast and have plans to come to PFSC for my birthday in May. This will be my first visit to your faire; anything I should know? Any must-see acts or must-eat Faire foods? I'm so excited!

I think the big difference between us and eastern faires is the guild system. (Guild usually means something a bit different than back east)

We have a large cast of volunteer (unpaid) performers (Court, Military, townsfolk) with a smaller cast of theme (paid) characters - Queen, Shakespeare, Mayor, etc...

This is opposed to what you might have back east - a smaller cast of paid actors. I don't think either is better or worse. Each has their own advantages.

Think of our guilds as performance troupes. We are contracted or owned by the company to portray a certain portion of Elizabethan Society. Court, townsfolk, inventors, etc... Each guild is responsible for casting their own members for the most part. It is then the responsibility of REP to coordinate the look of the guilds into the faire. (Court started on our costumes back in October or sooner, we will be approved this weekend.)

NYRF may have something similar since they are also owned by REP (tho I think not to the extent of RPFS)

Generally when I've spoken to someone from the east it is best described as performance guilds (west coast) vs "social" guilds (east coast) (Rogues, Wenches, etc). While the social guilds might perform, this is not their primary function.

Gregory Fiennes
10th Baron Dacre of the South
(Baron Dacre)
Gregory Fiennes
(Baron Dacre)

Sir Michael Geare

As Lord Dacres has stated, our guild system is quite different than other faires.  Those being that actually have guilds since I have been to faires in other states that do not have them.  Our guilds help enhance the experience and interaction of the visitors.

I do believe that Becky has summed up some of the things to see and eat quite well.  As a cast member, it is a bit hard to recommend specific shows since we are a bit biased as they are all good and worth seeing.  Fan favorites like Moonie and Broon are a must along with any of the shows at Rogues Reef.  I would say that you should catch the return on Manly Men in Tights to the stage of our faire.  we also have a new jousting troupe this season as well.

This year also marks the return of the Feast to faire.  It is basically something in the lines of a dinner show where you get catered food served to you with special entertainment.  Seating is limited.

The theme weekends are as follows:

April 9th & 10th  -  Openning Weekend
     April 16th & 17th - Marketplace Weekend
     April 23rd & 24th - Swashbuckler Weekend & Easter Sunday Service
     April 30th & May 1st - Swashbuckler Weekend & Gay Day
     May 7th & 8th - Wine Tasting Bacchanal & Masquerade
     May 14th & 15th - Costume Contest & Military Appreciation Day
     May 21st & 22nd - Last Call

'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

limelizzard

Thanks everyone for all the great info in one place! I am also originally from the east coast, where I spent 7 years on volunteer cast. We didn't have guilds.... so I've been very confused about that concept. I have lived in San Diego for just over a year now, so I've made it out to the Esco Faire, but this will be my 1st visit to this faire (What do we call this faire for short? lol). The Esco Faire is nice, but.... it just does NOT do the trick when it comes to satisfying my faire desires! I'm looking to come visit on Bacchanal/Wine Tasting weekend. :)

Becky10

QuoteWhat do we call this faire for short? lol
....I have no idea haha. I used to call it the pleasure faire but...yeah.
I have heard some people call it Southern though.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Blushing

Quote from: limelizzard on March 24, 2011, 06:07:00 PM
What do we call this faire for short?

I'm looking to come visit on Bacchanal/Wine Tasting weekend. :)

I've heard people call it "Big Faire" which drives those faire folk not from California a wee bit nuts.  Southern works.  So does SCRPF if you're typing it.

I'll be at faire that weekend ... maybe we should plan a rf.com meetup?
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Baron Dacre

RPFS (Renaissance Pleasure Faire South, the same company used to own Northern, They also own Bristol, NYRF.)
Gregory Fiennes
(Baron Dacre)

Baron Dacre

Quote from: Becky10 on March 24, 2011, 06:45:31 PM
QuoteWhat do we call this faire for short? lol
....I have no idea haha. I used to call it the pleasure faire but...yeah.
I have heard some people call it Southern though.

This was my first exposure to faire. So it will always be "Faire" to me....

Many of the people working this faire also work Northern, and since they were once owned by the same company the designations of Southern (Spring faire) and Northern (Autumn) came to be....

Northern used to be closer to San Francisco. (was Permanent site, however many of the ancient trees we built around were destroyed to make way for condos and a golf course) *sigh*

If it seems strange that Gilroy should be called "Northern" instead of "Central" this is why.
Gregory Fiennes
(Baron Dacre)

The Lady Mercedes

I just call it ren faire  :)
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Sir Michael Geare

Quote from: limelizzard on March 24, 2011, 06:07:00 PM
What do we call this faire for short? lol). The Esco Faire is nice, but.... it just does NOT do the trick when it comes to satisfying my faire desires!

As Lord Dacre has stated..Southern is the most common term when talking out RPFS.  Esco is a nice little faire but nothing compared to Southern.  I'm sure you will be able to get your faire desires satisfied.  Stop by and say hi, Blushing should know where to find me.

Valknut

Hello and Well Met!

I hope you all have a wondrous time at the Pleasure Faire.  I call it the Dam Faire or Southern as do many others.  The NorCal faire is called Casa De Faire for reasons that are clear to anyone who visits. :)

I second the lists of things not to miss: Moonie & Broon, Sin on a Stick, Fruit Ice (when it is hot), Commedia Volante, Washer Well Women, Poxy Boggards...among many more.

As for my role at the faire: "teaching" fencing at St. Jude's School of Fencing.  It's a lesson and a duel for a fee. While I am not one of them, we do have several top notch instructors who compete regularly. 

Hope to see some online friends again this year.

Cheers!
Eric
In the 19th century the problem was that God is dead. In the 20th century the problem is that man is dead. - Erich Fromm

Amara Deegan

This will also be mine and my sister's first time to this Faire and I am looking forward to it! The Northern California (2001-2005,2007,2009) one is our home Faire and we have also been to the Texas Ren Faire (2006-2008) and the Arizona Ren Faire (new this year too).

After looking at the list of entertainment for this year, we are already familiar with: Moonie, Broon, Merry Wives of Windsor, Poxy Boggarts, Washing Well Wenches, Manly Men in Tights, Hey Nunnie Nunnie, and The Belles of Bedlam. I thought Sound & Fury go to this one too, but maybe not anymore. I miss them, but I know they are busy with other things and Shelby went off to his own thing.

We have been wanting to go to this Faire ever since we first started to go to the Northern California one. Looking forward to the 21st!

Sir Michael Geare

Shelby is doing a show called the Magnificient Humble Boys.

Amara Deegan

Quote from: Sir Michael Geare on May 04, 2011, 10:04:30 PM
Shelby is doing a show called the Magnificient Humble Boys.

Ah, thank you. I shall have to look into it.

The Lady Mercedes

Yea fresh blood faces! ;D I saw Moonie, the Merry Wives, Poxy Boggards, & Belles of Bedlam...all were great & I agree, not to be missed. Enjoy your day at faire!
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Sir Michael Geare

Quote from: The Lady Mercedes on May 05, 2011, 07:16:58 PM
Yea fresh blood faces! ;D I saw Moonie, the Merry Wives, Poxy Boggards, & Belles of Bedlam...all were great & I agree, not to be missed. Enjoy your day at faire!

I love watching the Belles of Bedlam.  Catch them every weekend when I can.