News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Which night event should we attend?

Started by Duke of Remington, March 21, 2011, 03:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke of Remington

This will be our first time attending this faire. We were curious as to which evening
event is more fun. The masqued ball or the King's Smoker? Thanks in advance. ;D
Your grace will not surrender to thine enemies.

Archer

The masked ball is a special evening event (after the regular day faire visitors have vanished). Its like a kick off event.  Dance lessons are free (visit the maypole area earlier in the day to watch or learn with others).  The period dances are tricky and require good cardio prep.  If you wear a weapon larger than a dagger, find someone to leave it with before you hit the dance floor.  Archer does not like dancing these historical form of dances in the midst of swinging steel by those under the influence.   Good music and much fun, don't miss it.  

The smoker is a daily event and if you're not a prude and like to laugh, don't miss it either.  Its period comedy, belly dancers, joke content for adults only; music and songs with R rated content.  Be prepared to take your cigar from between the lovely breasts of a table wench and do not be surprised to see or hear playtrons making motorboat sounds and getting a face massage while engaged in that process.  Tip your wench well if you plan to have your nose between those globes for more than obtaining custody of the cigar.  You'll also get a couple of beverages of your choice and the food ranges from grilled steak on a stick to cheese, fruit and other goodies.  The food varies from  year to year from this playtron's experience.  The smoker is good enough to go to more than one time as the show and comedy routine changes depending on who is there at the time.

The smoker is not really a night event.  It happens at the end of the faire day but if you only will attend one day then know that you miss the main joust event which occupies the kiddies during the smoker.  This assume it runs as in the past years schedules.
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Duke of Remington

Thank you for all the wonderful information. They both sound fun. Hopefully I can get to both of them. How is the joust event? I've been to a few that were pretty good, but sometimes it's a little too slow for me.
Your grace will not surrender to thine enemies.

Archer

Quote from: Duke of Remington on March 22, 2011, 03:50:36 PM
Thank you for all the wonderful information. They both sound fun. Hopefully I can get to both of them. How is the joust event? I've been to a few that were pretty good, but sometimes it's a little too slow for me.

As with most, it is safety first as a priority over authenticity.   It is not equal to SCA full contact combat but, this viewer found it "more persuasive" to view than what you might see at a Medieval Times show, for example, if that is helpful.  The combatants are well rehearsed and they occasionally use fake blood pellets and soft scar makeup that is slapped on during the fray at opportune moments.   Hope that description is helpful.  You can view some of them on youtube under OKRF search term . . . various years.

This guy's series shows a good bit of a taste of this faire . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvNTgnccSsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpVamWgJbpw

That series goes on covering a full example day of this faire.
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Laundry Lasses

I have to say, the smoker is our favorite time of the day!  Of course, I'm a bit biased :)

Be sure to stop by the Laundry Stage to see the Laundry Lasses!