News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Character Query

Started by SpitefulSparrow, March 25, 2011, 03:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpitefulSparrow

So, this is my first time as Cast, and I've been tasked with developing a persona for my character- I'm the Blacksmith's Daughter. I'm speaking the country dialect (as is most of of our cast o' faire folk) and we're doing a Robin-Hood theme. I'm singing a bit, and taking part in a fair bit of baudy songs, so it seems a lily-white maiden persona is going to be inadvisable. What I'm thinking is this: after the sheriff took over, and started levying taxes, and mum died, da turned to the cups/or became a workaholic the man playing my father wants to be an belligerent old man type, and I attempt to gain his attention by scandalizing my father in a variety of ways- flirting with men, getting drunk (well, acting like I'm getting drunk- I am a responsible actress) and being generally rebellious and raunchy(don't worry, I'm twenty-one, I just can pass for 17-18- right now its bothersome, but I figure in a few dozen years I'll be glad I look younger than I am) so- what say you?

DonaCatalina

LOL- this could be fun.
But think how most of the other villagers would have viewed the blacksmith;
a big man, stronger than the rest with an uncertain temper and anxious to protect his daughter's virtue.
The first man you flirted with might pass out from fear.  :o

The 'My Da never lets me out of his sight' routine could also be a little limiting.
Why not, 'Me Mum is dead so I'm left to run the house. Me Da relies on me to handle the money end of the blacksmithing and everything else'.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Kett

The big burly blacksmith dad makes me think of a mischievous scamp sort of daughter who KNOWS no matter how hard she tries, she won't really get into much trouble because all of the young men in town are TERRIFIED of her dad. So she can flirt all she wants, but the boys will behave themselves. A well placed snarl from dad towards a would-be suitor should have him scurrying off on some errand blowing you a kiss.

SpitefulSparrow

Thanks DonaCatalina & Lady Kett! I really like the Da chasing off the boys bit. I think that would be really fun to work into my persona. I am also considering the "managing the books" angle, The faire-directors wanted me to be a following in my fathers footsteps type of girl, and though I am not at all built for blacksmithing I think that being an enterprising young woman would certainly suit me.

Merlin the Elder

The young lady smithy in A Knight's Tale wasn't built for smithing either...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

SpitefulSparrow

'Tis true my good sir! And might I add, I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule advising King Arthur to advise me! A new development has occurred! I may have a  little brother (though his parentage is debatable as of right now- he may end up being Little John's son) and he has expressed interest in being the apprentice, if this is the case, I think being in charge of the business end of things would suit me well. If he ends up not being my brother, then I think I will be both the business-woman and apprentice, I am a woman of many talents after all.

stonebiscuit

The first thing to figure out in a character is what they want more than anything. It seems like you're building a character who wants to get her father's attention, which is currently taken up in work or drink or something similar, so the question is how does she go about getting that? Being flirty and rebellious, or being really good at managing the business? I would go one way or the other; if you explore too many angles you could wind up without a clear purpose.

If you want to be an apprentice, or if the character wants to be dad's apprentice, you could create a character who is a fitness buff--running around trying to lift heavy things, doing push ups, etc. to build up her strength so she can be "a blacksmith just like da! *sparkle*"

lys1022

1.  What does your character want?

2.  How is she trying to achieve that goal?

3.  What is her character flaw or foible?

These three questions are the bare minimum for defining your character.  Everything else will be derived in some way from the answers you come up with.  So really put some thought into them before you start thinking of bits or costuming or whatever.  That's the fluff, this is the meat of character development.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

ShaharaBlackbeard

Just always look at your char is if you were an actual blacksmiths daughter, getting water for the metal working, getting wood for the fire. I think it would be a very hard working life.