News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

French Hoods

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, June 12, 2008, 09:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

OK I need fast answers

How do you wear a French hood, and better yet, HOW do you make it stay on your head. I tied mine behind my head, BUT I have a funny head with not much of a skull back there. Seems my brais go up not out.

Any help appreciated, Photo's even better.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Master James

My wife attached a clear plastic comb to the French Hood top center so that helps to hold it in place and can't be seen.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Master James on June 13, 2008, 09:32:43 AM
My wife attached a clear plastic comb to the French Hood top center so that helps to hold it in place and can't be seen.

On the inside or on the outside? Was the comb lying flat?
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

isabelladangelo

I believe he meant lying flat on the inside because it wouldn't work on the outside to catch the hair.  ;)  Not to mention a plastic comb just would not look right at all on a french hood where it could be seen.

What does your French hood look like?  This is mine:
http://www.pbase.com/darter02/image/70222559

I have ties beneath the chin (I've changed otu the red ones for white ones) which is period and works to keep the hood on.   How is your French hood made?  Because if the construction is part of the problem (which it may or may not be) then the answer on how to fix it can differ.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

This is what mine looks like. Freshly made by Lady Katherine

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2986412540025619629iQUDMN
and
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2728184280025619629XqSoyu

Oh and this is not me, Just Lady Katherines model. She has it where it ties behind the head. but it looks very similar to yours.

As for the comb I kind of thought that but just wanted to clarify, You never know.
"The Metal Maiden"

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Hood can also tie under the chin as well, Lady Delaney. I forgot all about that. My bad.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Master James

Sorry if I didn't explain it properly.  Yes the comb is lying flat on top the head and is attached at the middle of the French Hood so when you slide it back on your hair, the comb catches in the hair and helps to hold it on.  It is hand sewn at the very bottom of the fabric.  Hope that is a better expanation.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

verymerryseamstress

Lady Delaney,

You can also take some thin soutache braid or ribbon and sew small loops along the part that rests on your head, then slide bobby pins into the loops and through your hair to help hold the hood in place. 
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

isabelladangelo

I'd try tying beneath the chin. 
How long is your hair?  If it's long enough, just braid the sides and loop them over the top of your head.  The braid will act as a "barrier" to keep the hood from slipping.  You can also buy one of the fake braids but I think either verymerryseamstress's bobby pin idea or Master James' comb would work better if your hair is not long enough for braids.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Toki has some very heavy duty leather thread. I may try that. OH the things to do before tomorrow. I am taking off early just so I can TRY and figure out how to do my hair.

As for it's length, it's just a bit past my shoulders. (A little longer than my profile picture. If you look at the Now and Then, it's about that length now as in the pictures on that posting. Had it NOT been for that crappy hair dresser five months ago it would be much longer. But she decided that I needed 4 inches cut off all on her own./ Actually it needed about 1/2 an inch, but no 4" was what she decided. Last time I ever go to her.

I'll do some toying tonight as under my chin will be sure to drive me nuts. I'll do it IF I have to, but not my first choice.
"The Metal Maiden"

Lady Renee Buchanan

Lady Delaney,

Your French Hood is beautiful.  I also have one from Lady Kathleen, not as fancy as yours!  But I love it!

I wear a black snood and tie the hood behind my head tightly in a double bow.  I wore it the entire day of faire and then to an art show that was held on the streets of our town.  The hood never slipped or loosened up the whole time.  My hair is fine and slip-away, and not quite shoulder length, so I wasn't sure of if it would stay, but I had no problems.  Maybe the snood helps.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Queen Maggie

Since hair shouldn't show, I'd just put it up any way you feel solid with, and tuck a comb into the secured top. I often do a little pony tail just on the top of my head to stick a comb or a hat pin through to anchor anything I'm wearing. As a stage actor who has had to do stunts while wearing extreme hat styles, this is the way I always go. Oh, and use a spritz of hair spray before forming your pony tail, and it will hold all day with out slipping.
Queen Maggie
wench#617, Bard #013
aka Mistress Mannerly, Goodlief Bailey, Cousin Undine Mannerly, Mother Lowe

Merry

Your french hood is beautiful.  It's what I liked best about your new garb when I saw it in your other posting.  It lays nicely on your head and the beadwork is beautiful.  Tell your seamstress Very Well Done.  You look stunning in it:)

I don't wear a french hood, but I do the hair for many of the ladies in my guild who wear hair pieces like the hood.  I would go with the combs.  I like the clean look, so ties wouldn't work for me.  For those ladies with fine hair, I just do a simple braid near where I want the hood to rest.  The comb nestles in there and stays snug all day (or so I'm told:)   You could attach multiple combs too if you wish:)

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I ended up sewing in two metal combs that are not on top, but slightly to the top and to the sides. I followed Lynn McMasters way of doing hair by making a part on the top and pulling this hair back. The front I then parted inthe middle and clipped them aside. The back was tough as my hair is very fine (lots of it just baby baby fine) I tried to put it in a bun and I did it on Friday before faire but come the day of the faire I could not and fought my hair for 2 hours. I finally just pulled it into a tail in the back and left the far back long. The sides I then first tried to braid, but had no luck (fine hair that wasn't long enough just didn't help) I clipped it and then used a ton of product to keep it in place.

While to me my hood felt loose and ready to fall off, everytime I checked it, it was snug.

Thanks to everyones who gave suggestions and I am sure my seamstress is reading this and will appreciate your comments.
"The Metal Maiden"

Taffy Saltwater

Once your hair is styled, give it a good shot of hairspray.  It helps hold the style & gives the comb some traction.
Sveethot!

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on June 23, 2008, 03:08:32 PM
Once your hair is styled, give it a good shot of hairspray.  It helps hold the style & gives the comb some traction.

Oh Yeah, love product. I used enough on my hair last time to make my hair like DEVO hair LOL. All just to make it stay where I wanted it to. Oh the probles with baby fine hair and not being good at styling
"The Metal Maiden"