News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

SoM vs The Castle

Started by The Rabbi, April 09, 2011, 08:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rabbi

I have recently recieved several e-mails in regards to my dates being at the same time as The Castle in Muskogee and not having the same high dollar entertainment to compete. First of all I am not ompeting with The Castle; Spirit Of Magic was created to be ren friendly and to create an interest in our younger generation. Yes History and Fantasy do mix and it is easier to spark the younger generations interest if you include Dragons and Fae then to say its living history but do be careful you might learn something educational as well. I am a sole owner operating on a budget that would not pay the electric bill at The Castle I think my entertainment is the very best there is as they still realize that it is the patrons that are important and still intermingle with the crowd. My Vendors are allowed to keep cost down as I do not beak thier pocketbooks this allows my guest to buy things they could not otherwise afford. My admission is less then going to the movies so my guest can afford to get that special something they might otherwise not be able to afford. I am a Rennie operating a fest for the Rennie I am not a business man looking for that almighty dollar. Am i in competetion with Muskogee NO pound for pound do I think we are of the same caliber as Muskogee Bet Your BIFFY I know I am. if you are going to the Castle I know you will enjoy yourself but dont complain about my being in the same time frame. There is no SoM vs The Castle just a choice for the Rennie.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Merlin the Elder

Not only that, but they are close enough to hit both in the same weekend, which if petrol doesn't rise much more, it is our intention in doing.  Several faires within 8 hours of my home are running during this weekend: St Louis, Tennessee, Scarborough, Oklahoma, Spirit of Magic... it's not really competition, it's just a choice of venues.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

The Rabbi

Well said Good Merlin alas I fear the price of pushmahaul has just started to rise but shall keep my fingers crossed as to them not rising to the point of keeping anyone away from fair regardless of which they choose to attend. Unfortunatly for me I fear most will look to the bigger fairs to get the most bang for thier buck. I hope I can survive to see year three.
Proud member of FOKTOP

Craigmeister

SoM will have many things that the castle does not.  One of them is firing trebuchets.  I lost a lot of desire to visit Muskogee when they quit using their trebuchets.  I can't get jazzed up to go to Muskogee every year.  They don't have good hammered duclimer music like they did 6 & 7 years ago.  It seems to be the same old thing year after year.  I almost got burned out on Renfaires a few years back b/c the only place I was visiting was the castle.  I'm glad I've broadened my horizons.
I never met a better overall cast than I did last year at SoM.  I will be happy to return.  Your jousting team headed by Dustin Stephens is a high caliber crew as well.  They are the real deal from the Four Winds Faire.  Huzzah!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

The Rabbi

Grammercy I can not express the grattitude or joy from such kind words. I have experianced that very burn out and left the festivals for over 15 years and can not begin to share just how great it feels to come home. I was very much afraid to step out on the limb starting the Spirit of Magic but had no other choice and it was not one I regret. How else would we have ever heard Ghost Chickens. I have no performers at my fest I have Rennies who entertain like none others and I have fairmly that i would walk through the fire of hades for. I am simply a Rennie and always but a humble servant to those who enter into the Spirit of Magic.
Proud member of FOKTOP

Craigmeister

I was very honored to have Ezra & Dilly performing from my tent last year.  I was laughing so hard that I was almost crying when Ezra was "bocking" during Ghost Chickens In The Sky.  I will never forget that song & what was going on while they were singing it.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.