News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The voting has begun!

Started by Scotsman, June 13, 2008, 06:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotsman

It is time at last!
I want to thank all of you for your passion for faire and further wanting to share our faire experience with others. Many have come forward offering assistance. I wanted to share with you the pitch I forwarded with respect to MDRF. This "pitch" was a collaberation of several sources and all I did was take their ideas and put them together ... it was rather easy.

This thread is where we can discuss 2009! PLEASE, do not come here to politic or bad mouth other faires ... this is a place to express your love of MDRF, not to compare and contrast ... just MDRF discussion please. Violators will be put in the stocks and your comments will be deleted with extreme prejudice!

I want to thank Amras and Black Fox for reminding me of the beauty of MDRF, their words - Every weekend at MDRF is an invasion for we treat all those who come as family. Thanks guys for your friendship and for keeping my ship on course.

Now ... the PITCH:

Where would we be without our friends & family ... T'is the eternal question is it not? Well, one great place I always look for my friends & family is the Maryland Renaissance Festival (MDRF), where I always feel like I am home, as will you.

I took the liberty of soliciting several faire folk and contributors of this forum to tell me what makes MDRF special and why we are the place to come home to! Here are just some great reasons why MDRF is so special.

- Number 1 faire in the country for the second year in a row as per Renaissance PodCast voting
- MDRF grounds have been repeatedly described as one of the most beautiful faires in the country
- Many of MDRF stage acts aren't part of "the circuit", thus the only place you're likely to see these acts are at MDRF
- MDRF is a "no hat" faire – saving you more money for shopping!
- Over 130 craft shops and 42 food outlets sitting in 25 acres of the Tudor Village we affectionately call Revel Grove
- MDRF will be turning 33 years old this year
- Regular admission price still below $20, Group rates are available
- MDRFers are some of the friendliest people and our morning tailgates totally rock! (thanks Analise)
- The fest has some truly amazing acts and is "big" enough to pull in some "big" names (i.e. Medieaval Baebes, Albanach)
- The size of the fest also means we can accommodate any size group of Rennies descending. Plenty of parking (free!), plenty of nice shady spots and seats at our many pubs. Lots to see and do and places to have gatherings during the Faire-day
- Full contact Jousting
- MDRF Lundegaard guilds are among the most active of any in the nation
- Depending on what weekend is picked, R/Fers will have a year+ from the end of the voting period to save money for faire and to make arrangements (Aug – Oct)
- Faire is based on Henry VIII and by 2009 we will probably be at his sixth wife Catherine Parr
*For more information about MDRF visit our website www.rennfest.com

I think Dallan said it best,
"I'm sure you'll get a lot of input on MDRF size, quality and quantity of vendors and acts etc. However I would also recommend something of equal importance...the people. The warmth shared by the people I have met is fantastic. We have been slowly meeting more people and are always greeted the same way. I've popped around other forums and have never seen the welcome to a stranger the way one is welcomed to MDRF; both on the forum and at faire. No question we have wonderful people involved."

Thank you Dallan, you and your family have been valued friends and we are happy that you are part of our faire family.

Other things to consider about MDRF is that our season starts a little later than other which would give travelers a chance to save money for up to a year in preparation for an Invasion (Aug – Oct).
MDRF is within a stones throw of Historic Annapolis (Capitol of MD), not to mention wedged nicely between our Nations Capitol, Washington, DC (20 miles) and Baltimore, MD (25 miles).
Considering the proximity to these major cities it affords travelers extended opportunities outside of faire to take in any number of tourist attractions.
Our location lends access to three major International airports, BWI, Regan National and Dulles.
Because of the above, lodging is limitless, there is nothing shy of budget to high class lodging, camping (8 miles) to castles – we have it all.

Yes, we love our faire ... and we are sure that you will too. We treat every weekend like an invasion weekend at MDRF and our Labor Day gatherings are without a doubt legendary! I don't know what else to say but WELCOME!

Come to MDRF and make some faire memories with us. MDRF, your always home here!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Count Adolfo

Might I add to this pitch as an Out-of-Towner?

I visited MDRF last season for the first time (which is pretty sad because I used to live in RI and it would have been just a 6 hour drive but I waited to move to FL where it's an 18 hour drive...) and I have to say that in 17 years of going to Faires... it's the loveliest I've ever seen.

Let me also tell you... the locals... the regulars there... welcomed us with open arms and were so warm and hospitable... such great hosts... that I have made this long journey an annual event for me and my family.

It would really be a crime not to check out this Faire, so vote for MDRF for RenDezvous 2009!  Let's get as many of us to experience this wonderful Faire next season!

Thanks!

Scotsman

Thank you cousin! It was indeed great to host you and yours last year and as I said back then ... let us not make this your last visit.

I have so many fond memories of MDRF. LG and I can remember attending faire when it was in Columbia, MD ... that was a long time ago. The MDRF is a special family, all with the same mindset, make our faire enjoyable for all. We strive to welcome folk in the same manner as we were ... with open arms. Walking through those gates always feels like coming home, not going to faire. And like Cheers, it is great to go places where "everyone knows your name" That is the MDRF I know so well!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Dallan

Scotsman you are too kind. Thanks for using my quote. Last time I was quoted was when I let the F bomb drop in front of my 6 year old. The RF quote makes me look better than my kid's quote. :o
Fight'n

Athena

I voted for Maryland. You owe me a Guinness.  ;)

Seriously, though, this is one of the most beautiful faires I've had the pleasure of attending. I'd love to visit again!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Scotsman

Quote from: Dallan on June 16, 2008, 06:30:27 PM
Scotsman you are too kind. Thanks for using my quote. Last time I was quoted was when I let the F bomb drop in front of my 6 year old. The RF quote makes me look better than my kid's quote. :o

Your input hit home cousin! I am glad to here you will be joining the MD M'Cracks ... Clan O'Morda!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Lupa

Put my vote for MDRF in today!
Goddess of the Grove
DoRT
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3576
IFoRP #1360
FOKTOP Inquisitor
Cheer'n M'Crack

Lady Neysa

Scotsman, your pitch warms my heart and nearly brought a tear to my eye!  Of course count my vote in! Come on August! 

Scotsman

Quote from: Lady Neysa on June 17, 2008, 08:03:52 PM
Scotsman, your pitch warms my heart and nearly brought a tear to my eye!  Of course count my vote in! Come on August! 

I gotta be honest ... the comments came from all those around here ... my job was just to put it in order. I wish I could take credit but the real credit goes to the MDRF family who make our faire so special. Thank all of you for you acceptance of Lady Guinness and myself ... you guys are awesome!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Lady_Glorianna

Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Lady Jai

Quote from: Scotsman on June 17, 2008, 06:07:19 AM
Quote from: Dallan on June 16, 2008, 06:30:27 PM

Your input hit home cousin! I am glad to here you will be joining the MD M'Cracks ... Clan O'Morda!

I think you mean Clan White but I will let you slide this time.  Remember we stoled them.  :)  I did learn from the best though.   ;)

I voted for MDRF also.
M'Crack-Snuggl'n

Dallan

Wow, we are being fought over. Something tells me this goes a little deeper than it appears.  :)

Looks like MDRF is in the lead so far. HUZZAH!
Fight'n

Lady Guinness

Scotsman. your words on MDRF were very nice and anyone who has ever been to our Shire know how friendly it's people are. Yes we are like a family here and we graciously welcome the distant kin we are just meeting each wonderful weekend.

Master James

Quote from: Dallan on June 19, 2008, 09:21:18 AM
Wow, we are being fought over. Something tells me this goes a little deeper than it appears.  :)

Looks like MDRF is in the lead so far. HUZZAH!

LOL  Yeah when my wife and I broke away from O'Morda to form Clan White Scotsman was a little miffed.   ;)  Since then there has been this friendly competition between us over pets.   :D :D :D

BTW, My vote when in days ago for Maryland!  I'm here to help if we win it!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

lordwriothsley

Actually I have nothing but good to say about MDRF.The last time I went (which has been a few years) I was amazed at everything I saw there.Scotsman you do have a right good  faire up there, of course my favorite day up there is the day of wrong.The last one I went to I got a kick out of.I have a group of friends from VARF who are regulars up there who did a Wizard of Oz theme which I got a huge kick out of.Now I have no idea what this voting is all about but if it turns out to be M'Crack voting then someone please fill me in on what it is so I can cast my vote.Master James don't worry i'm all for Clan White my friend  ;D

PS. I need more signatures.I only have about 16 right now
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"