News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Matchmaking... heh

Started by Baron Dacre, April 18, 2011, 05:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Dacre

(I promised a good story to make up for my rant earlier!, in case you haven't read that post - I'm a member of Court for Southern California's Pleasure Faire)

On Sunday R (My girlfriend - hereafter referred to as R, GF or Lady Dacre) and I were taking a rest at while waiting for the second leg of progress. It was just after our dance set so we were both tired. (R had worked kid's day, I was resting because I was assigned to Sword of State).

We were seated pretty close to the Germans and since I saw couple of friends that were members of that group there, I thought they wouldn't mind us asking for water. I got up and had both of our cups filled.

When I returned, a young man was seated next to R, talking on his cell. I was tired and figured he was nearly done with his call.

After he hung-up R started talking to him. Turned out the poor guy had come to faire with his sister and her friend but they had walked away somewhere and sort of abandoned him. He said he still was having a fun.

R asked that could "a man of means and looks find a lady?".

He told her he was shy and didn't know how, and "Was she available?".

Lady Dacre laughed and said no, she was married. Pointing to me - "This is my husband." (For those playing the home game, R and I are playing husband and wife this year)

The guy sort of looked dejected, but R said we would teach him how to woo.

I told him how to get down on one knee, to compliment the woman using R as an example.

As we finished the lesson joust let out and I began looking for a girl for our new friend to test out his skills. I couldn't find a willing volunteer.

One of my friends wandered over because something had fallen out of R's basket, so I began asking him how they courted in Germany. (Apparently it involves vast amounts of alchohol and probably a blunt instrument :-D)

While he and I spoke, the gentleman pointed out a pretty blonde girl in a purple belly dance outfit. R pointed her out to us and I told our friend to follow me.

After we caught up, I asked the girl if she was was with anyone. She said she was here with her family and friends. I asked her if she was single. She told me "Yes".

I gestured to my new friend and explained that we had been teaching him how to woo and could he test out his skills?

She consented and the young man got down on one knee. I asked him to tell her the beauty of "her eyes, her hair, her ears".

I couldn't hear what he said (patrons don't generally know how to project. heh!), but she seemed to like it.

When he stood up, I told him, "Now tell her your name". He did and then she gave her name back!

I excused myself and returned to where R was sitting (and giggling...).

He was still talking to the girl (and her friends) when I got back to R. After a bit we saw them at the ale stand, him buying her a drink.

Last I saw, as progress went by, was the two still talking.

Unfortunately we never saw them after that. :-(

Hope things kept going well!
Gregory Fiennes
10th Baron Dacre of the South
(Baron Dacre)

Becky10

Where are you when I need you!  ;)
That was a great story
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Anna Iram

That was very kind of you both.  :) Good matchmaking that.

Celtic Lady

Are you for hire? I have a cousin back in Michigan that could use some help.
That was such a nice story.

Lady Kett

Rani Zemirah

Oh, how fun!  That sounds like a wonderful lane bit that could be used many times in a season!  I'm sure there are lots of young gentlemen out there who could use a lesson or two on wooing...  ;) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Drudonn

I was once shown how to woo at faire. It involved a very large celtic man barking at a friend of mine...

...so, probably less effective than your way....

Nice story!  ;D

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Baron Dacre

Quote from: Becky10 on April 18, 2011, 06:40:37 PM
That was a great story

Probably just behind the Queen somewhere...
Gregory Fiennes
(Baron Dacre)

Baron Dacre

Where are you when I need you!  ;)
That was a great story

...As for R... Look for a absolutely beautiful blue-eyed woman in a caramel velvet dress...

My Lady Dacre is an amazing woman... ( 2 years since our first kiss on the 26th... *happy sigh*)
Gregory Fiennes
(Baron Dacre)

SpitefulSparrow

This post made my day! I smiled all the way through reading it. (and as to your earlier rant- which was the one about non-cast being backstage, right? that was entirely warranted. I would have done the exact same thing, and the mockery on their part was rude and unwarranted.) Anyways, teaching mundie men how to woo properly is a gift to all the ladies they will ever attempt to charm (everyone likes to hear sonnets about how awesome they are).

Becky10

Quote from: Baron Dacre on April 21, 2011, 12:48:51 AM
That was a great story

Probably just behind the Queen somewhere...

Well if you ever need another assistant while teaching how to woo I willingly volunteer!  ;D
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on