News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

wanting to get into jousting more....

Started by kala83, October 14, 2010, 09:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kala83

ok first off I am a girl! lol big shocker this yes I am sure a girl that wants to learn how to joust....
don't know if I am the first do so butt I kind of doubt it....just don't really see it all the time. But I would love to learn from people at my new local faire (St.Louis) since I am going to be moving to the st.louis are in the spring.

I would be willing to do anything it took to learn, I just want to do this for something fun to learn if anyone can help me I would totally love that.

Harbinger

Sherwood Forest Faire is actually having a jousting
school sometime in the near future, I think its on their
website

-james
Bénigne Dauvergne Saint de Mars
Private First Class, Texas Musketeers
Rex Dolor, Malleus De Deus

kala83

oh ok awesome I will google that up....is that faire in MO or somewhere else? hmm I noticing from the google search I did its in TX, sadly I can't make that kind of road trip......which I did figure was going to be half my problem....I was sort of hoping beyond hope that some of the knights that come to st.louis might be on the site.

Harbinger

yes it's in Texas, I think they are trying to make it an annual thing,
so maybe next year(I'm hoping to make that one)

but it looks like they provide everything, horse, armor, weapons,
liability waiver, everything you need ;)

-james
Bénigne Dauvergne Saint de Mars
Private First Class, Texas Musketeers
Rex Dolor, Malleus De Deus

kala83

that certainly nice....just not to convenient right now since I am getting ready to go back to school in the spring, lol as well as i am going to try doing something stuff at the artist alleys of some conventions here in and around MO so yeah kind pressed for time...thought I to get more involved int the st.louis faire so maybe I can talk to the guys out there when that season begins.

Bryan Beard

hello, sorry been awhile since I checked this forum. My company, Noble Cause Productions presents the joust at the Greater St Louis faire. We have been doing the joust there since the very first year of the faire. If you would like to become more involved with the joust, feel free to e mail me and stop by and see our web site at www.NobleCauseProductions.com
Bryan Beard
Noble Cause Productions
Sir William, Lord of Whitehall

kala83

I might be interested in doing that it just all depends a bit on what all my school scedule is at that given point also

L Dale Walter

My tip as I am training people to joust now-

First:  GET IN SHAPE!!!  That means muscled.  Waif thin people, and big fat people aren't much use,

Second:  Learn to ride.  You aren't much use if you can't do just about everything on a horse without thinking about it.

Only then think about jousting.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: L Dale Walter on February 15, 2011, 12:31:56 AM
My tip as I am training people to joust now-
Second:  Learn to ride.  You aren't much use if you can't do just about everything on a horse without thinking about it.

Only then think about jousting.

Don't tell me you actually have folks show up that don't ride a horse regularly!?
I would think knowing how to ride, and ride well, would be a no-brainer.  
Minimum requirements, At the very least, would be someone who at least owns, cares for and exercises their own horse.  
   Weekend rent-a-horsie riders don't qualify either.   You need to know how to work with a horse on a daily basis.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

ladyharrogate

Don't tell me you actually have folks show up that don't ride a horse regularly!?
I would think knowing how to ride, and ride well, would be a no-brainer.  
Minimum requirements, At the very least, would be someone who at least owns, cares for and exercises their own horse.  
   Weekend rent-a-horsie riders don't qualify either.   You need to know how to work with a horse on a daily basis.

[/quote]

they most definitely do, and people who are totally out of shape.  I would check into SCA equestrian too.  They don't do the actually jousting yet but great way to get used to the games and such.  Also learn stage combat.  You usually start out working stables as a groom or squiring.  I'd catch up with Brian in St. Louis, he runs a good show.  Also, Dales advice is spot on.  Dales one of the guys putting together a team the right way.  Be careful (especially as a female) who you get involved with though.  I know Brian and Dale personally and they work hard to run good teams without the behind the scenes crap like drinking and drugs but not every team does.  You might also look up Knights of the Guild in TX.  They do a program in schools based on Chivalry and the owners wife jousts.