News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A handful of silly questions...

Started by Scotty Hunter, April 23, 2011, 04:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty Hunter

I hope this is the right forum for this thread, if not let me apologize in advance.

Try not to laugh too hard at me. A giggle is fine, but a full belly guffaw might hurt my feelings.  :P

I'm a newbie in the world of RF and taking on a character persona and such. I've loved the "idea" of Faires for years, and love the costumes very much!  But my actual knowledge of the "do's and don't's" is very limited.

I guess the only way to learn to to jump right in and ask questions, even if it manages to embarrass myself.  ::)  I'll try to ask these in a way that won't get anyone hating on me, but if I use any insulting words (actors, costume, etc) please correct me!

First of all, I do plan on hitting as many Faires as I can this year, starting with the one in Wentzville MO/StLouis.  I'll be going plain clothes for a while, most definitely, until I get a feel for the Faire and the people therein.. but I was curious if there is an unwritten rule against people showing up in garb, even if not a paid actor or crew member?  I'd be terrified of stepping on someones toes or being a big outcast that doesnt fit in anywhere, so is this allowed/never-allowed or would each Faire have to be asked if they allow garbed visitors?

Second, I notice some of you have multiple pesonas; such as fairy, peasant, nobility, etc. I'm unsusre if those people are faire crew and are asked to portray certain roles or if one just "chooses" what they feel comfortable with?  Like I myself have main interest in elves, and I'd love to portray an elven archer. But I also have high interest in gypsy, tinker and barmaid/wench positions. Would it be proper for me to personify multiple stations, or would I only choose one and stick with it?

How does one get the privledge of portraying nobility? I would never fit into the role, I am sure, but the costumes are absolutely breath taking to my eyes. I love them. Absolutely gorgeous! Can one just "decide" to be a Lady of noble blood and show up in the garb for it, or are these positions only for crew of the Faires?

Ok, I think I will stop at 3 silly questions for now.  I have many, but I'll save them for another day to embarrass myself with my ignorance. :D

Again, if I used any words that are offensive in ANY way, PLEASE CORRECT ME! I'm fascinated by this hobby/passion and want to learn as much as I can.
~May the leaves of your life-tree never turn brown.~

McGuinness

In answer to all three questions....if you aren't on cast, there are no rules. You can wear what you enjoy ("danes"/civilian clothes, noble, gypsy, whatever), take on whatever persona you'd like (I've seen patrons show up and claim to be a king/quen, even a couple that claimed to be Queen Elizabeth or King Henry when we are an Elizabethan faire with our own queen - I don't recommend going THAT far), and you can talk however you'd like. If you decide to join their cast, you will likely be given a character but that varies from faire to faire.

As a patron - someone paying to enjoy your day - you can do whatever you'd like without rules. From the side of an actor - just be respectful to the cast and they will play with you. You'll probably meet some friends and form a group once you start attending. Faire people are mostly good folks. If you head down the forums page to the regional forums for each faire, I'm sure you'll find lots of people from the faire you want to attend who will be willing to show you around and help you learn the ropes if you just ask.

Enjoy yourself!

Lady Renee Buchanan

One thing I would like to add is that if you wear garb, then people dressed in "mundanes" (regular clothes) usually think you are part of the cast, so you will probably get asked lots of questions, like "Where are the privvies,"  "What time does the joust start," "How do you get to this shop," and things of that nature.   So you need to be prepared to help them if you can, or politely tell them you don't work for the faire but are just there enjoying the day.

Ok, I guess there are more things to add.  As mentioned above, you can wear whatever you want.  When we first were going to faire, my girlfriend offered to make garb for her and me.  When I decided I wanted to be a  wench, with a bodice & skirt, her response was, "Not me.  This is my fantasy.  Who wants to be a servant.  I'm going to be nobility."  And she was!   So you can be whatever you want, whenever you want, and you can be different from day to day when you go to faire.  It might just look a little weird if you took elf ears and wore with a noblewoman's gown!  lol

Also, we've found at the very beginning, we were so excited about faire and we wanted to dress up so much, that we just bought whatever we thought would work.  I suggest you take your time about buying garb.  Almost nobody ends up loving that first garb as much as they thought they did when they got it. 

I don't mean to sound snobby.  I'm not talking about historically accurate, heaven's, we are not historically accurate in the least and don't care to be, but spending a lot of money on something that looks nice but when you wear it, it doesn't breathe and you're just about passing out from the heat, or gets ruined if you get a stain on it, or the material shreds, can add up the $$$$ and become an expensive mistake.

Go slow, look around a lot and see what you like, and what you don't like.  Go through these threads and look at what people wear.  And ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable.  I am willing to bet that nobody on this forum will treat you with anything but respect and dignity.  After all, we all started once, and it's wonderful to have another Ren faire addict in out midst!   ;D

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

LadyFae

Welcome to the Forums and welcome to the Ren Fest addiction!  =D  I think (hope) that Renee and Colleen answered your questions!  So my little extra to add in is that don't feel as though you need to stick to the same character every time to Fest.  That is part of the fun of being a playtron.  You can do pretty much whatever you want character wise.  =)  Example, I love to go as Noble but there are times (when I have all three of my children with me or when it is super dang hot) I go as a fairy.  I have more fairy garb than I do Noble garb (though I'm trying to remedy that, especially now that my girls are all old enough to walk and not be carried the entire time!)  I'm starting to think of pirate and wench garb to make as well because I LOVE to have options!  Now, if you find a character that you love and you want to stick with that all of the time, that is great too, you can build up your garb wardrobe with variations for that character and her background.  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Becky10

QuoteWhen I decided I wanted to be a  wench, with a bodice & skirt, her response was, "Not me.  This is my fantasy.  Who wants to be a servant.  I'm going to be nobility."  And she was! 

I thought the same thing then I discovered that someone who likes to run about and get in the dirt and rough house is not meant for a giant hoop skirt at all! Currently working on wenchie garb. Its fun to get all fancy every once and a while but I find it to be a bit of a pain most times and have gone to admiring others instead.  :D
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Cofeeguru

I also recommend dressing for the weather!  Noble's garb may be awesome, but when it's the height of August, a wench's outfit might save you from extreme misery! Also, make sure to tip at the shows you go to.  As a playtron, I try to be polite and throw a dollar or two in each hat per show.  Otherwise, just enjoy yourself!
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;"-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

DonaCatalina

You can portray whoever you wish as long as you are a paying patron. However, it would be considered good manners if you do not adopt a persona that is already on cast at your local faire. Usually a quick perusal of their website will tell you which characters are there.

Portraying a member of the nobility is not something to be jumped into lightly, any more than other personas. A full set of garb and accoutrements can set you back a pretty penny even if you portray a wench/peasant type. Go to a few faires....rent some garb if there is an outlet. This will give you an idead of what garb fits your conmfort level.

Most of all, relax and have fun!

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Scotty Hunter

Oo so many great replies, thank you very much everyone!  And no one laughed at my newbie questions, so I was worried for nothing.  :D

Also, the freedom to experiment with different personas is right up my alley! Now the question is, just "who do I want to be today?" lol

Great points about dressing for the weather... too bad females can't be Monks, as those cloaks keep pretty cool underneath.

And very good point about tipping the shows. Having never been as of yet, I wouldn't have thought to keep cash or coin on me. I'm a plastics kind of girl. So that is a very good tip I will definitely keep in mind!

~May the leaves of your life-tree never turn brown.~

Nighthawk

Quote from: Exiled Archer on April 24, 2011, 05:03:02 PM

Great points about dressing for the weather... too bad females can't be Monks, as those cloaks keep pretty cool underneath.

No they don't... Nor do kilts. At least, not in the hot, dry weather of a Colorado summer.

As to the newbie questions... We all started at the same place.

Amyj

Quote from: Exiled Archer on April 24, 2011, 05:03:02 PM
And very good point about tipping the shows. Having never been as of yet, I wouldn't have thought to keep cash or coin on me. I'm a plastics kind of girl. So that is a very good tip I will definitely keep in mind!

I would suggest bringing cash to Wentzville for food and drink too...most of the vendors take plastic, and there is at least one ATM on site, but it is persnickety at best and has a habit of either being out of service or out of cash (although that is getting better).  I think most other faires are pretty cash-only for food and drink too.

When you come to Wentzville, look for R/F pins...there are several forum members there...er, here...er...at Wentville!  :D
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Adriana Rose

Most food vendors I know are cash only. Keep in mind not all the vendors besides the food may not take plastic. And a good chunk of vendors dont take checks either.

Wear comfy shoes!

And Rennies are some of the most easy going people I have ever met so dont worry about ruffling feathers

Nighthawk

Quote from: Adriana Rose on April 24, 2011, 06:41:33 PM
Most food vendors I know are cash only. Keep in mind not all the vendors besides the food may not take plastic. And a good chunk of vendors dont take checks either.

Wear comfy shoes!

And Rennies are some of the most easy going people I have ever met so dont worry about ruffling feathers

Ladies, I didn't even think of the cash-only thing. That's a great suggestion. It saves on hassle, AND ATM fees! Another thing- those mugs that most people carry are as utilitarian as they are decorative. There are a lot of water fountains, at least at the Colorado festival. I spend all day walking around with a tankard full of water. I've never been to a Ren faire outside of Colorado so I can't speak for the others, but here it's really easy to get dehydrated.

Lady Christina de Pond

Quote from: Becky10 on April 23, 2011, 11:17:43 PM
QuoteWhen I decided I wanted to be a  wench, with a bodice & skirt, her response was, "Not me.  This is my fantasy.  Who wants to be a servant.  I'm going to be nobility."  And she was! 

I thought the same thing then I discovered that someone who likes to run about and get in the dirt and rough house is not meant for a giant hoop skirt at all! Currently working on wenchie garb. Its fun to get all fancy every once and a while but I find it to be a bit of a pain most times and have gone to admiring others instead.  :D

rofl i tried the hoop with a sword mind you. yeah not so great and idea i soon forgot the hoop and kept my sword. Have fun with it like others have said look before you start spending tons of money on garb. i've changed outfits through the years starting with a dress then shirt bodice and skirt no hats to hats and now onto a corset you can always change an modify your costume as you perfect a charatcer or change charatcers never be afraid to ask questions about things this forum is a great resourse
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Dinobabe

The other option is to go to Goodwill and spend about $5 on stuff that is close enough.  That way you can wear garb and feel "in" but you really haven't put any money into garb so you can save it for when you choose good stuff! ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Adriana Rose

What she said!

Look around and see what rings your bell and then go bonkers.. Warning its like potato chips you just cant stop at one piece of costuming.