News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Shoulder Sling Pouch Bag Purse Satchel Thing??

Started by Once Debauched, April 07, 2011, 03:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Once Debauched

I've been hauling around a leather shoulder bag I made a few years ago and am planning on making something a little less heavy (even if it is a little less waterproof).

I have several belt pouches, but I've not been wearing belts the last few years and with the kiddo in tow I'm carring all sorts of misc items that don't always fit into a pouch.

I was trying to find something quazi-period I can wear on the shoulder, but all I can find in the line of bags is sweet or pouch purses.  I'm going to assume there must have been some sort of utility bag/wood carrier/something-or-other I can highjack for a purse - I hope.   ???

Suggestions anyone? Anyone?
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

Lady Kett

I have a bag from Moresca like this. I can go shoulder to shoulder or be used as a shoulder bag.

Is that what you're thinking of?

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Lady Kett on April 07, 2011, 07:54:03 PM
I have a bag from Moresca like this. I can go shoulder to shoulder or be used as a shoulder bag.

I like that bag not only for faire, but looks great for the mundane world too!
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Once Debauched

YUP!  That's pretty darn close to what I had in mind.  :-)
IWG  #3527 Local 29
FOKTOP
ROoL #29

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I think it holds quite a bit - you hauled some stuff in it for us at Colorado, since M'Lady has that dainty noble bag :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Kett

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on April 08, 2011, 11:36:36 AM

I think it holds quite a bit - you hauled some stuff in it for us at Colorado, since M'Lady has that dainty noble bag :)

Yes, it does hold quite a bit. I could probably fit a small child in there if needed! Not that I'm volunteering to tote children around - I would be attempting to corrupt them at a young and impressionable age.

Once Debauched

Quote from: Lady Kett on April 08, 2011, 04:11:09 PM
Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on April 08, 2011, 11:36:36 AM

Yes, it does hold quite a bit. I could probably fit a small child in there if needed! Not that I'm volunteering to tote children around - I would be attempting to corrupt them at a young and impressionable age.

I sometimes feel like I'm toting a small child around with everything I end up carrying!  That's one of the reasons I wanted to make a lighter bag.  

As much as I love my oiled leather shoulder bag, it's a tad weighty before I even get anything in it and once you add a few pewter tumblers, a flask, a change of clothes for the kidlette and gawd only knows what else, it's just darn heavy.

I took the sewing machine into the shop yesterday so I'll be working a pattern up tonight in hopes of being able to stitch it early next week!  
IWG  #3527 Local 29
FOKTOP
ROoL #29

isabelladangelo

http://larsdatter.com/pouches.htm

Although it's for pouches, there are some messenger bags and other things shown that might help.

http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/images/maciejowski/leaf15/otm15vd.gif

I've posted the above before -it's a shoulder bag. You can easily make one that looks similar in a bigger size.

BLAKDUKE

When you are at faire, go to one of the easternware tents where they have what I call elephant pouches.  My wife has two of them and they will hold a lot of stuff and the great thing is all the ones I've seen are under $25.  And man are they colorful.  My wife uses one for everyday and she always gets remarks when she is out and about, not just at faires.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

gem

Laura, how heavy is the basket backpack by itself?