News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rosary question

Started by Devangelon, April 12, 2011, 06:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devangelon

OK. So at the faires I'm doing this season I'm switching back and forth between being English at some faires and French at another. I bought a really cool rosary that matches my nobles garb perfectly cause I know the French were Catholic still.

The problem is, would I be able to wear my rosary when I'm English at faires? The faires all have Queen Bess on the throne. Does the Church of England use Rosaries?

I did some research on the interbutts but all I can find is modern stuff on them. And that the Modern Church of England uses them now. But I'm not sure about the past.

Zardoz

Elizabeth's reign wasn't exactly anti Catholic, but not really friendly towards it either. The Act of Supremacy making her the head of the church of England also caused the removal of crucifixes, vestments, stone altars, dooms, statues and other ornaments, even candlesticks, and other signs of "popery" from churches by the 1560s. So I'd guess a display of rosaries wouldn't fly then.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

isabelladangelo

As rosaries are still being used, please remember that.  This is still an object that is important to the faithful.  I'd honestly not carry one around unless you are actually Catholic. 

Devangelon

Even if I'm playing a Catholic character?

Cofeeguru

Elizabeth banned them in 1571, however Henry VIII had his own set, so it really depends on what part of the Renaissance you're looking at.  As a Catholic myself, I don't mind the usage of them as a symbol of what was occurring at the time.  They're on television all the time, they're used as props, etc.  Just remember that they are also a symbol of faith, and as Isabella stated, just treat them with respect, like you would a cross, a Bible, a Star of David etc.  Wearing them as a necklace, bracelet, etc., is not their intention, think of them as a tool like a prayer book rather than a piece of jewelry, if that helps. :)

I found this link that kind of outlines the three major religions in conflict in Elizabethan England, and it seems to be pretty accurate to what I've been taught, at least at first glance.

http://www.stgeorgenorth.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/religion_guide.207115316.html
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;"-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Becky10

I know some really firm catholics and I dont think anyone would really mind if its part of historical costuming and not being used in an inappropriate manner. Respect is key and as long as you keep that in mind I dont think you'll insult or anger anyone.

Seeing that Queen Elizabeth's view on Catholicism wasn't exactly constant throughout her years, I think it really comes down to how you want your persona to be and what point of her reign you're involved in. I know early on she turned a blind eye to it as many people holding good position then were catholic and in like 1569 she had the Papal Bull thing which started a lot of the anti catholic orders (if my history is correct).
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Devangelon

1579ish. The time when the Duc of Anjou started courting her.

operafantomet

The rosary is more or less a physical device for remembering a series of prayers. The idea is that when your mind does not have to concentrate on practicalities (for example keeping count on the prayers), it can devout itself to the actual meaning of the prayers, the great mysteries. In Christianity it's used by Catholics, but a very similar prayer rope is used by Orthodox Christians. And of course, they're not unrelated to similar prayer ropes found in India, Japan and within Islam.

Still, the rosary holds a very special place within Catholic christianity. When Elizabeth I banned it from England, people wore similar devices as replacement - a ring, or girdle, or another kind of jewelry, with the right amount of "bumps" to keep track on the prayers. The rosary was banned i 1571, as someone else wrote, so if you're heading for 1579 you might be pushing it a bit.

A last note about the Church of England: it consider itself reformed, but not protestant. It still consider itself Catholic, but not Roman Catholic. So many catholic devises were and are still in use. But as Elizabeth I challenged and was challenged by several Roman Catholic countries backed up by the pope, anything expressing Roman Catholic sympathies were seen as an act against the Virgin Queen. The rosaries might have been used to actively provoke, which would explain their ban. Or they might simply have clashed with the new liturgy.

Devangelon

Well, poo.

Thank you for all the great information, Ladies! I guess I'll just have to play a French character more often. lol

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: isabelladangelo on April 12, 2011, 08:12:07 PM
As rosaries are still being used, please remember that.  This is still an object that is important to the faithful.  I'd honestly not carry one around unless you are actually Catholic. 
Quote from: Devangelon on April 12, 2011, 08:35:14 PM
Even if I'm playing a Catholic character?

Technically, if the rosary has not been consecrated, it would pose no doctrinal or reverential problem, especially to a Catholic (if they are well-instructed in their faith). Only an ill-informed Catholic should have a problem with it, but if they were to confront you, all you should have to tell them is that it has not been blessed, and that should ease their mind. If they are still upset, they misunderstand their own religion.

The only thing different, for example, between tap water and holy water is the fact that the latter has been blessed. Holy water isn't delivered by monks to the churches around the world! The parish priest fills a jug from the tap and consecrates it.  Rosaries are basically jewelry with a particular purpose and are not intrinsically holy because of their design. You pick one up at the local church store, or make it, and have your parish priest bless it, if you plan to use it for prayer. Only then is it a holy object.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

SpitefulSparrow

I think so long as you're not being vulgar with it, everything is kosher, because even if it isn't sacred it is still a symbol of the Catholic faith. I used to do re-enacting, and my persona was deeply catholic and carried her rosary with her (I even had the lord's prayer in latin memorized!) and no one ever took issue with that. In any case, there are far more blasphemous things happening at your average faire than someone spiffy up their garb with a rosary.

BLAKDUKE

"everything is kosher"  Now that statement entwined in a thread whose subject is Catholic rosaries conjurs up a scenario that is completly weird(BTW I am a mackeral snapper(catholic)).  
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

SpitefulSparrow

Hehe. I didn't even notice. My mom's family is jewish, and my dad's is catholic and I am decidedly pagan, so in our family we have many suchlike instances (the christmas-yule-channukah season is always fun). I guess those type of peculiarities are commonplace to me!

BLAKDUKE

yeah those end of the year celebrations must get very spirited.................
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

operafantomet

Quote from: SpitefulSparrow on April 24, 2011, 05:24:11 AM
Hehe. I didn't even notice. My mom's family is jewish, and my dad's is catholic and I am decidedly pagan, so in our family we have many suchlike instances (the christmas-yule-channukah season is always fun). I guess those type of peculiarities are commonplace to me!
I use Arabic haram and halal (forbidden/legal) in a similar way. I'm not muslim or Arabic in any way, I guess I'm just influenced by the many immigrants in Oslo. And I like those expressions, especially haram. Haram is so much more forbidden than Norwegian words expressing the same.  :D