News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

So I'm wondering...

Started by Mixsae, May 05, 2011, 01:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixsae

The Cicada's are due to show up any day now. What sort of impact if any do you think they'll have on the fair?

Will they affect attendence?

Will their chirping get on our last nerves?

I hate the little buggers and I have to admit I'm not looking forward to their appearance....they creep me the heck out!

renfairephotog

Don't remember them harmin the fest last time. I do remeber driving through swarms of them on !-24 around Hickory Holllow.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Avidd

Didn't seem to be all that many around faire last time.

Merlin the Elder

If they were around the last year or two, you may not see them this year, at least in large numbers. Depending on the kind of cicada, the swarms are several years apart...13-17 years for some.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

renfairephotog

We have the annual ones that do get loud. This year is a 13 year batch and there's tons of them in the area. I don't remenber them being bad at fest  last time but I wasn't there as much then.
Fairy photographer

CapnFayeCutler

If a cicada flies up my hoop skirt you'll see a jig of a different sort... If I'm in my pirate garb well it just better not fly into my ale!
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: renfairephotog on May 05, 2011, 09:32:25 PM
We have the annual ones that do get loud. This year is a 13 year batch and there's tons of them in the area. I don't remenber them being bad at fest  last time but I wasn't there as much then.
It could get rather noisy, then! Luckily, you only have to deal with it from time to time. I've had severe tinnitus for many years and "hear" cicadas constantly.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

amy

As I recall the last batch.. it was closer to memorial day.. so maybe the first week we won't see much.

Captain Jack Wolfe

I don't miss the noisy damned things one bit, even though they helped me become a very good shot with a BB gun...

I'll just be happy to be back in the South for the second time this year!
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

CapnFayeCutler

These are the same type that came out in 2008 in Kentucky... *sigh* I can't escape the orange winged little buggers...
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

renfairephotog

saw some Cicada shells today. But didn't see or hear them..
Fairy photographer

BLAKDUKE

Have the attack butterflies ever come back??????
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel