News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How we met....

Started by Baron Dacre, May 03, 2011, 12:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Dacre

(Since many of you seemed to like my story about our matchmaking, I thought you might enjoy how we met in the first place.... At faire... with an audience!)

I had joined court the previous year and had been cast as "John Davies". I made several friends within the cast and was starting to get asked more frequently to take part in Court's masks and glade bits.

It started when I had been asked to take part in a Shakespearean bit for a glade stop. Two of the maids were playing girls dressed up as boys... I was to play Duke Orsinio, the Maid of Honor was playing Rosaline, At the cue "I will help you" (to be spoke by either her Majesty or another).

The men (myself and Master Harrington ) were each to step up and identify the girls as our servants at which point the girls identified themselves as their "true" identities.

A joyous reuniting, a happy ending and a bit with a dog...

We had a good audience for glade-stop that day, all the seats seemed to be filled.

However, when I went to kiss the girl, she kissed me back. Then I realized how much I was enjoying kissing her, the I realized she was enjoying it as well.

Seconds, Minutes or an eternity passed, (apparently there was applause, heh!), before another of the Maids of Honor tore us apart. (Apparently the audience applauded and the kiss went on for those in court to realize that something *might* be going on other than an act.

I was a bit taken a-back and left glade immediately after the Queen departed and glade stop was finished. I was worried I might have done something to offend her.

Later that day, backstage and after some prompting, from a mutual friend, I had the friend ask if the girl might consent to go out with me. Sometime later the maid I kissed walked up, pinned a favor on my doublet and whispered "Yes" in my ear.

That was two years ago. We have been together since and have been lucky enough this year to be cast as man and wife (Gregory Fiennes and Anne Sackville, Lord and Lady Dacre). Mayhaps soon when we are both ready, this may become a reality as well!
Gregory Fiennes
10th Baron Dacre of the South
(Baron Dacre)

Cofeeguru

Great story!!!  And Shakespeare triumphs again!
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;"-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Baron Dacre

Quote from: Cofeeguru on May 03, 2011, 12:29:25 AM
Great story!!!  And Shakespeare triumphs again!

Actually Davies triumphed again! Shakespeare is a hack!

heh!
Gregory Fiennes
(Baron Dacre)

Becky10

QuoteA joyous reuniting, a happy ending and a bit with a dog...

Bonus points for this line!

QuoteShakespeare is a hack!

Negative points for this line  ;)

More bonus points for the entire story! A very good story indeed!
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Baron Dacre

Quote from: Becky10 on May 03, 2011, 02:37:42 AM
QuoteA joyous reuniting, a happy ending and a bit with a dog...

Bonus points for this line!

QuoteShakespeare is a hack!

Negative points for this line  ;)

More bonus points for the entire story! A very good story indeed!

heh! There is also a story behind that: The gentleman who plays Shakespeare is a good friend. As Davies was a poet as well, we played rivals. (They were born around the same time and probably knew of each other.) I'd meet him in the street and accuse him of stealing lines (which he, the actor was caught red-handed). We'd meet for poetry contests....

Historically, Davies was a lawyer and wrote poetry to entertain and gain influence. Shakespeare was an actor.

Davies was introduced to the Queen by Sir Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy. Shakespeare's patron was Lord SouthHampton.

Both Mountjoy and SouthHampton were being played at the time. It made for some fun street bits as we had a nice rivalry between the patron Lords and the poets.
Gregory Fiennes
(Baron Dacre)

DonaCatalina

What a lovely story. <sigh>
Thanks for sharing.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Sir Michael Geare

I remember that day.  It was superbly done and most entertaining.  Never really heard the full back story until now.  Way to go.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'