News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Silly sewing habits

Started by LadyStitch, May 04, 2011, 12:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

Mine does. The poor thing is slowly gutting itself though. The top got ripped off somewhere and its leaking sawdust but I find pins every now and then in it,

Sorcha

Nothing to unusual here....  I have to feel the pedel,  Sox are good, slippers are okay, shoes are right out.
I have to picture the steps in my head as well.  Sometimes I'll even go through the motions with my hands with what I see in my head before I actually do the next step.
If I have to stop sewing at a certian point before the end of the fabric I will use a red headed pin for the very last one.  And then point it the other way.  To me that says "Stop"!
And of course I talk to my machines!   ;)

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on May 06, 2011, 03:31:40 AM
I've just seen the results of a habit I forgot: the arm of my sofa looks like a pincushion, because that's what I do with it when I'm hand stitching in front of the telly: poke the pins into the arm of the sofa beside me!
I do that, too. And have accidentally left them there and gotten in trouble for it. I've also left them stuck in the foot of my bed, too. And since my bed is in my sewing room and doubles as a place to sit, I often find pins and needles tossing around with my comforter.

As far as the losing needles in the tomato thing goes, I always keep the needles with the remains of the thread in the eye when I put them in there. It can get a little tangled, but if the needle wants to get lost in the tomato, I can always pull it out by the thread.

Hoowil

I gave up the tomato shortly after my daughter could crawl. All it took was once, with her doing her darnedest to get at the thing for me to realize small children, and small stuffed fruit full of poky things just do not mix. Another contributing factor to the pile of metal in the bottom of my sewing box.

Now I generally make a ball of scrap from whatever fabric I'm working on as a temporary pin cushion. After the first few pins, it holds together, and the kids could care less about the wad.

As as to tomatoes eating pins, I will probably spend the rest of the evening singing 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'. Thanks.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Butch

Attack of the killer tomatoes!
Attack of the killer tomatoes!
They'll beat you, bash you, squish you, mash you
Chew you up for brunch and finish you off for dinner or lunch!
They're marching down the halls
They're crawling up the walls
They're gooey, gushy, squishy, mushy
Rotten to the core
They're standing outside your door!

Remember Herman Farbage
while taking out his garbage
He turned around and he did see tomatoes hiding in his tree
Now he's just a memory!

I know I'm going to miss her
a tomato ate my sister
Sacramento fell today
They're marching in San Jose
Tomatoes are on their way!

LadySeasan

Ok. So this may be TMI, but we are talking of silly sewing habits right?

Well mine is...I sew in the nude. For some reason, I concentrate more and get more cutting and pinning and sewing done while in the nude. Perhaps the constant threat of having a needle poke me keeps my mind focused and gathered, but I swear but it, it works for me! lol.
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

Lady Kett

Ok, I can't top Lady Seasan, nor is it technically a silly sewing habit, but with all this talk of pin and needle eating tomatoes...I have to ask...what about magnetic pin holders? I have one to hold my pins and the occasional hand sewing needle. It can take a nose dive off the ironing board or table, and has done both I assure you, and has never lost anything!

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Lady Kett on May 09, 2011, 08:06:23 PM
Ok, I can't top Lady Seasan, nor is it technically a silly sewing habit, but with all this talk of pin and needle eating tomatoes...I have to ask...what about magnetic pin holders? I have one to hold my pins and the occasional hand sewing needle. It can take a nose dive off the ironing board or table, and has done both I assure you, and has never lost anything!

I love my magnetic one. I use the tomato for needles and the odd non-magnetic pin. Then I have some pins in a plastic container, but the majority stay on the magnet, because I'm a real pro at dropping containers of pins all over the carpet. :)

LadyStitch

Due to my sewing room also being my office I am warry of having a magnetic pin cushion around because of the electronics.  I dont' want anything to go haywire.  I always require shoes in my sewing area regardless.  I keep a deep tub that I keep my pins in. When not in use there is a lid on it.  I still have occasional dumps, mostly due to lack of sleep clumbsyness, but I have less during non working times due to the lid.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.