News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Ticket info!

Started by Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard, May 09, 2011, 08:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amras Elfwine

Online ticket sails for Maryland now up and running...and yes, I now have my season pass!

www.rennfest.com
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

isabelladangelo

Adult (16-61)    Child (0-15)    Senior (62+)    Fairever Pass    Special
2011    $19.00    $9.00    $16.00    $120.00    additional weekend passes
2010    $18.00    $8.00    $15.00    $80.00    coupons/other discounts
2009    $18.00    $8.00    $15.00    $80.00    coupons/other discounts
2008    $18.00    $8.00    $15.00    $80.00    coupons/other discounts
2007    $18.00    $8.00    $15.00    $80.00    coupons/other discounts
2006    $17.00    $8.00    $15.00    $70.00    coupons/other discounts
2005    $17.00    $8.00    $15.00    $70.00    coupons/other discounts
2004    $17.00    $8.00    $15.00    $70.00    coupons/other discounts
2003    $16.00    $7.00    $14.00    $70.00    coupons/other discounts
2002    $16.00    $7.00    $14.00    $70.00    coupons/other discounts
2001    $14.95    $5.95    $12.95    $70.00    coupons/other discounts
2000    $14.95    $5.95    $12.95    $70.00    coupons/other discounts
1999    $13.95    $4.95    $11.95    $70.00    coupons/other discounts

From wikipedia. I'm not going for a fairepass for the first time in probably ten years, at least.   I'm considering not going at all because $40, really?  Or getting the 9 day pass and just going Saturdays...

Merlin the Elder

As Maryland is on my bucket list, as someone else called it, of faires to visit, I've followed this thread with interest. I'm trying hard to understand a couple of things and perhaps those of you who live in the area can help. ...

What control would a fire marshal have for an outdoor event? I totally understand the authority in an enclosed building, but open-air?!? If I were turned away from the gate after traveling from Arkansas, I would likely be arrested for the scene I would be tempted to make. If they have a cap on attendance, they need to make it VERY CLEAR on their website. I went and looked and could not find any indication of it.

The rise in prices on passes seems to be a common complaint at many faires. Looking at the historical information posted by Isabella, I would think that families with children would be the ones most up in arms. MD actually charges for toddlers?!?  In the period listed, adult prices rose 36%, children 82%, seniors 33%, and Fairever 71%.

We're extra sensitive about any kind of price increases these days, but it's just, unfortunately, the way things are. Different faires are handling things differently: Texas Ren Fest has a package of tickets for their "season pass" and it's $250. Adult gate price is $25. Scarby (my home faire) dropped their season pass last year, and kept their Friend of Faire pass. Purchased in advance it was $115, up from $60 that it cost 5 or so years ago. I think gate price is $23. You can almost always get discount tickets to most faires if you don't go the pass route.

I realize that the impact on faire-goers of these price changes varies. The closest faire to us costs us at least $60 in fuel to visit, and home faire, almost twice that...then there's the expense of lodging. In our case, the cost of tickets/passes is such a small part of the expense, I don't even think about it.  I wish we were within an hour or two of faire, then maybe I'd have your perspective.

A lot of folks are scratching to make it right now. Those of you who are in that situation, and still like to go to faire, you are the ones that I can really feel for. Some form of entertainment when you're down is critically important to maintain sanity.

That all said, I hope to get there perhaps in the 2012 or 2013 season. I think I promised Amras some nuts for his squirrel.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 14, 2011, 08:58:45 AM
That all said, I hope to get there perhaps in the 2012 or 2013 season. I think I promised Amras some nuts for his squirrel.

Let me know when you're coming, and I'll meet you there ^_^
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Betty Munro

Are they running for more weekends now?  That is an insane hike in price if they are not including some serious perks.  If they are packed past capacity, then I can't imagine they are not making a reasonable amount of money. 

Master James

Well this is the first year that they are doing this with the tickets so even those of us who go all the time are not completely sure what is going on.  We have been informed by the faire that they could "sell out" for a day.  What that means is open to speculation as the faire isn't saying the reason for this nor what a "sell out" means.  The only thing I know for sure is if you buy your tickets online you will get in for the day you requested for single day passes.  For all multi-day passes, the faire has told be directly that they can be used at anytime, even if there is a "sell out".  Why they hiked the prices so much this year is unknown although the price has been the same for at least the last 6 years so its not really all that out of line as long as it stays here for the next 6+ years.

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 14, 2011, 08:37:25 PM
Are they running for more weekends now?  That is an insane hike in price if they are not including some serious perks.  If they are packed past capacity, then I can't imagine they are not making a reasonable amount of money. 

No there are no more weekends.  The faire is running 9 weekends as normal.  Hope this information helps.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Alaric

I went to Maryland for the first time last year (It was the last weekend).  It was so crowded you couldnt really move I mean people were just clogging everywhere. That put a bit of a damper on my enjoyment of the fair. It was a real pain trying to move about and shopping was pretty difficult as well.  If they can keep it from getting so clogged with humanity I think it will be for the better...  Of course tho if they do stop ticket sales for the day there are going to be a lot of pissed people (especially if they are stuck in traffic for any length of time... )

That being said tho I am going back this year over Labor day  :D 

Lady Neysa

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 14, 2011, 08:58:45 AM
A lot of folks are scratching to make it right now. Those of you who are in that situation, and still like to go to faire, you are the ones that I can really feel for. Some form of entertainment when you're down is critically important to maintain sanity.

Merlin, I'm glad you brought this up, as it makes me feel not so alone, knowing there are probably others out there in my situation.  This year will be my 19th year attending MDRF, which you would think would make me one of the  real veterans.  I don't feel like one though, because for many years, I was only able to make faire a one day a year treat, because my finances wouldn't allow my to have more than one -  $100 dollar (give or take a few) splurge for me and my kids.  Surprising how quickly 100 dollars will disappear when you pay for 3 admissions, plus food, plus a few amusements that cost a buck here and there. To save money, some people will pack food in a cooler, then get their hand stamped and go out to the car to eat.  Which is a great idea, but because of our limited attendance, eating the food at  faire is an integral part of the experience for me.  In recent years I've been able to go twice a season, but now with the new ticketing system, and with everything going up in price..not even to mention gas (I know tickets and sodas and water have gone up, don't know about the rest of the food.) I don't know what's going to happen with us this year.  I hope we will still be able to go, as tight as things are, I should be grateful if I get to go at all. 
Boy aren't I just a ray of sunshine...sorry for the rant, I just  needed to vent that for a minute......

Merlin the Elder

Trust me, Lady Neysa, you aren't alone. Four years ago, things started to dramatically fall apart in this country economically. It was inevitable considering the fact that no one has been paying much attention for several decades.  A lot of people are struggling. I would hazard a guess that some of the faires are having a bit of a struggle as well.

kcdcchef

I don't think I've ever been to a faire that was "sold out". Although a couple of them should have been!

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: kcdcchef on August 17, 2011, 12:15:12 AM
I don't think I've ever been to a faire that was "sold out". Although a couple of them should have been!
Although I think turning customers away at the gate could be a major PR nightmare, there does come a point where there are just too many people.  I visited one faire this year that I felt was rather crowded—I won't name it because I liked the faire and don't want to give anyone a bad impression.  When the "visitor per square foot" statistic hits a certain point, it's time to enlarge the faire or limit the entry.  If it's too crowded to move around, you can't really have too much fun. At that point, you would be putting a foul taste in the mouths of patrons new to the festival.

Lady Neysa

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 17, 2011, 05:28:27 AM
Quote from: kcdcchef on August 17, 2011, 12:15:12 AM
Although I think turning customers away at the gate could be a major PR nightmare, there does come a point where there are just too many people.  I visited one faire this year that I felt was rather crowded—I won't name it because I liked the faire and don't want to give anyone a bad impression.  When the "visitor per square foot" statistic hits a certain point, it's time to enlarge the faire or limit the entry.  If it's too crowded to move around, you can't really have too much fun. At that point, you would be putting a foul taste in the mouths of patrons new to the festival.

I don't know about selling out, but I have heard that Maryland's attendance on some nice weekends has swelled to over 24,000 customers in one day!  That makes for some pretty long waits in line for food, atm, privy, etc.  We shall see if this new ticketing system helps to alleviate some of that overcrowding.  It may seem like a pain, but if it makes attendance more enjoyable, hopefully it will be worth it.

kcdcchef

yeah there have been a couple of times i have been to kcrf and it was WAY over 20,000 and it was insane, you could not even  move.

isabelladangelo

MDRF does have issues on the busier days.  One of the HUGE ones last year was the inexperience of the traffic directors.  I know directing cars where to park isn't hard but the kids they had doing it last year were totally clueless.  I saw them almost park three cars in a row!  Luckily, the drivers were smarter than the kids but the third car had to practically run a kid over to get him to comprehend that he couldn't park there.

I've calculated how much it's going to cost me just to take my brother, sister in law, and my two nephews (the oldest is only 3 1/2!)  and admission alone is $56.   Add in drinks, gas roundtrip, and a pony ride and I'm easily going to be spending around $120 for a simple day at the faire.   That's just for my brother's birthday!

Economically, the price increase makes zero sense.  It hurts families and even individuals which means fewer people will be attending on average.  This means less revenue from sales which will, in turn, make it harder for Maryland to get some of the better acts to come and will loose vendors.  In the long run, they will be hurting from this.

Stasiakatt

FYI for those who have children and wish to visit MDRF -- Under 7 are admitted for free. I have never had to pay for either of my children who are now ages 6 and 4. Please visit www.rennfest.com to check current prices and get info on the ticket policy.