News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A question about the flower sellers

Started by Rainbow Gypsy, May 20, 2011, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainbow Gypsy

Hope this is in the right place - feel free to move this thread if it isn't. 

I've seen flower sellers at all the festivals I've worked and visited.  What have you heard them called?  I've heard the terms "flower girls," "rose wenches," ect. 

Are they considered performers or vendors?  Are they hired by the festivals?  Do any flower sellers travel to different faires?  Where do they get their roses and carnations from?  How many flowers do they go through in a weekend?  Do they have any humorous or catchy calls?  Do you have any stories about a flower seller?

If you're a flower seller or know one, I'd love to talk to you!  I'm a rennie - used to be called Puss-In-Heels on this board - and I'm only interested because I'm writing a novel set at a (fictional) faire.  Thanks! and I won't use any info unless you tell me it's okay.       

Lady Kett

At Scarborough our flower sellers - who are both female and male - get flowers from our flower shop onsite. I do not think they are independent vendors, but part of the flower shop gig. Could be wrong, I've never grilled them. :)

ravic

At TRF, they have a contract with a single contractor. All of the roving flower sellers are employees or subcontractors under that entity.

Queen Bonnie

hi  rainbow Gypsy-Puss in Heels! Welcome back!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Gwen aka Punstergal

I've been a flower seller before, at a small hometown affair where a local club ran the flower booth. I know TRF has one vendor with a lot of employees, as someone already pointed out, and they're pretty much left to their own devices as to how to sell the flowers, as long as they push product :)

Incidentally, my personal favorite sales call was "Roses! Roses! Thirteen inches of Renaissance Romance on a Stick!!" (accent on the R's for effect).
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"