News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

If you could choose would you work at a fair / or just go to one

Started by daylight, July 01, 2008, 08:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master James

I have to agree with the Baron.  Being on cast is a blast.  Yes they are long and sometimes hard days but rewards are HUGE.  I get to be a part of a show that everyone loves and I can contribute to that show so its worth it.  Unlike some faires, our faire is all volunteers.  We get paid nothing to do this and must make/buy all our own garb as well.  We are coming to the end of our run for this year as this coming weekend is our last.  I enter this weekend bitter sweet.  It will be nice to finally after 3 months have my weekends to myself, to sleep late on the weekend if I want to and to not have to travel 2 hours each way to the faire.  On the other hand, I will miss the fun we have every day, whether its in rehearsal or while the show is running.  I will miss the smiles on all the patrons faces that I help put there.  I will miss the comraderie with all my fellow actors and good friends.  And mostly I'll miss the magic that is VARF.  But there will be next year and I'll start it all over again.

I will only work one faire.  I will guest cast on at least one and maybe two more for a weekend, but the rest of them, I go play at and have fun!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

arbcoind

Master James, we always enjoy your vist to PRF to guest cast.  I hope you can make it again this season.

Gina

Rowan MacD

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 20, 2011, 11:06:47 AM
It seems to me that there are a lot of people who start working fair to save on tickets and end up burning out quickly.
I see where you mentioned working the SCA exhibits a couple years back, and I agree. 
  The problem I had with the SCA group, was that in return for free gate, they wanted you to stay in the exhibit area about 90% of the time to 'demo'.  I stuck it out for two seasons, then quit volunteering.  I still come out and help set up the site the night before to show support, but I leave the babysitting to the SCA members who like to do that.  It's ideal for the members who are unable to do any of the more physical demos.
  Now days I try to do other things besides working at the faire to earn free gate passes; like distributing flyers, hanging posters, even dressing up and waving to folks on the main street.  The producers nearly always need volunteers to work behind the scenes to help get the word out, site set up and other non glamorous jobs.
  That way if I or my hubby get hot, tired or ill we can leave without feeling guilty.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Master James

Quote from: arbcoind on June 01, 2011, 08:45:57 AM
Master James, we always enjoy your vist to PRF to guest cast.  I hope you can make it again this season.

Gina

Should be up there September 24-25 and looking forward to it!  I love doing guest cast there at PRF.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51