News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Barbarian leg and foot wear

Started by LadyStitch, May 26, 2011, 09:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

The next show I'm working on is being based on Hercules, and is full of barbarians & medival pesants.  I am trying to find ways to do footwear for my actors.  The girls, I have easy access to cute sandles, but for guys it is a challange.  I want to do some of them in where you wear a shoes but you wrap your leg with fabric and try it on with strips of leather, or even make gaiters.  do any of you have good images, or how to's on how to do this? 
These guys are going to be performing in a very little air conditioned theater, during July and August.  I'm making the shirts and drawstring pants out of cotton and linen, but I want to make sure they don't have to wear heavy boots, or so many layers they pass out.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  :D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

DonaCatalina

male footwear from the estimated era of Hercules.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

crazyrennie

Didn't the Roman Legion also wear a style of hobnail sandle?

DonaCatalina

Roman legionary sandal replica

another version used by reenactors
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyStitch

The "Hercules" look they are going for is the Kevin Sorbo type. 
Those look like simular sandles I'm finding for the peasant guys.  I'm trying to figure out how to do the leg wrapps for my hero types. Granted our "Herc" is 5'4" and is a muskateer type swordsman, but hey it will be intresting on the stage.   His buddy I coudl put him in anything now.  The last time I worked with him I had him in drag to the point that some audience people are not sure if it was a girl playing a guy, or a guy playing a girl.  :o

So far I'm thinking low opening shirts, with maybe a vest with it.  Poofy pants, and then sandles or the leg wrapped/graiters boots.

Auryn

I loved kevin Sorbo as Hercules...siighhh  ::)
sorry
Everyone on that show wore boots

maybe a little more beastmaster

or more conan the barbarian
new conan

old conan (with andre the giant)

here is a link for someone working on a barbarian outfit
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/printthread.php?t=43212&page=3&pp=15

All of these boots look heavy.
My suggestion would be to find cheap pleather tall boots and wrap some faux fur on the outside.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

arbcoind

Those pics *made* my entire long weekend!!

Gina

amy

Really..  I may have to go see this show.

LadyStitch

Yes very beast master/ Coan looking boots/ legwear.  I WISH my actors looked at good in a loincloth, but saddly I'll be lucky if I can get my Herc to wear a loose shirt where we can see some chest.