News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dare I asK?

Started by The Rabbi, May 29, 2011, 08:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rabbi

I can allready see where this question has so many possabilities of wrong answers lol. What is the best way to mount a horse while wearing a Kilt properly?
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Merlin the Elder

I know you don't expect a straight answer out of me, so I won't disappoint you, friend Rabbi.  I thought the Scots were fond of sheep—why mount a horse?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

The Rabbi

LOL my personna is Irish and has High Ambitions.
Proud member of FOKTOP

Gwen aka Punstergal

Historically, Highland gentry preferred trews, which originally were a version of riding trousers for the saddle. However, if Mel Gibson and Liam Neeson can swing a kilt on horseback, I'm sure you can too :)

My big suggestion would be to go for a "bareback saddle" as opposed to a traditional leather one. It's basically a fabric or sheepskin <giggety> pad with stirrups attached. No saddle horn, no leather for chafing/rubbing, and better dispersion of sweat (yours and the horse's).

And now, since you brought up kilted horsemen, a comedic & drool-inducing moment for the ladies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQonTlU66I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsCY7bk8YR0&feature=related
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Bonny Pearl

Gwen..... I think you have raised the bar on my love of scotch LMAO!!  :o ;D
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

The Rabbi

Gwen very excellent suggestion and one I had allready planned on putting to use was no way I was going to say anything about bareback on this subject LOL allready opened a can of worms. This is indeed a seriouse question as I truly do not wish to expose myself nearly as much as the gentlemen in the commercial.
Proud member of FOKTOP

Xantrawler

Why is the horse wearing a Kilt?

Gwen aka Punstergal

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on May 29, 2011, 12:31:44 PM
Gwen..... I think you have raised the bar on my love of scotch LMAO!!  :o ;D

I know, I don't even drink scotch and these commercials make me want to spring for a bottle :) The company (or at least their marketer) has a wonderful sense of humor- there are a few other commercials on YouTube for the same scotch which are equally amusing, although the two linked are the ones which specifically had horseback riding in them.
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Bonny Pearl

Gwen, I had my first sampling of a really good scotch last year at TRF courtesy of our friend Alaric.  I had lost my voice and he had me mix some scotch he had with honey and oh was it soooooo smooth.  I don't recall the name/brand but it made me a fan, of that brand at least.

Sorry for the thread hijack Rabbi!   ;D  But it is all Gwen's fault lol!  ;)  I am sure you will find a way to be much more modest than the young men in those commercials lol!
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Nighthawk

Quote from: The Rabbi on May 29, 2011, 08:23:41 AM
LOL my personna is Irish and has High Ambitions.

??? Why a kilt at all, then? The leine would be much more appropriate for an Irish persona. However, if you were a nobleman who could afford the luxury of a horse, trews would be more common.The average Highlander would have most likely been dirt poor and barely able to afford shoes, let alone a horse, so there is also that to consider.  On the subject of modesty, just wear a pair of black boxer briefs! That's how dancers and athletes preserve their modesty- and the mystery! People aren't sure what they saw- looked like shadow... maybe... 8)

The Rabbi

Why a kilt because I choose to wear one and do not do this to be historically accurate. I have seen two leine's and both resembled a toga much more then I would desire and both gentlemen commented that the leine was somewhat awkward and took a bit to get use to in regards to movement. I took thier word on this and decided Kilt. Please forgive me if this reads rude as it is not my intention and I do enjoy the historical information however but does Scotland not roughly translate to Land of the Irish? i was told this once and would like a second source.  Bonnie dont sweat the threadjack those commercials are great and deserve a sidetrip wherever they might take us.
Proud member of FOKTOP

Nighthawk

Quote from: The Rabbi on May 31, 2011, 09:01:11 AM
Why a kilt because I choose to wear one and do not do this to be historically accurate. I have seen two leine's and both resembled a toga much more then I would desire and both gentlemen commented that the leine was somewhat awkward and took a bit to get use to in regards to movement. I took thier word on this and decided Kilt. Please forgive me if this reads rude as it is not my intention and I do enjoy the historical information however but does Scotland not roughly translate to Land of the Irish? i was told this once and would like a second source.  Bonnie dont sweat the threadjack those commercials are great and deserve a sidetrip wherever they might take us.

Actually, no- it literally means "Land of the Scots," from Old English Scottas, Old English borrowed the word from late Latin Scotti, of unknown origin, but theorized to be the name of a tribe or chieftain. As to your post appearing rude- no, not at all. Just blunt and to the point. And with the idea of an Irish persona in mind, have you seen the Irish saffron kilt?

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwater-Kilts/Items/swk-sk-saf?&caSKU=swk-sk-saf&caTitle=SWK%20Standard%20Kilt-%20Irish%20Saffron

I love mine. It kinda gives the appearance of historical accuracy, while at the same time, having the benefit of being a kilt, and not a psudo-toga! I totally understand your desire not to wear a leine!

The Rabbi

I am assuming that you are wearing the Irish Safron Kilt in the photo if so I like that. I am rather bad about being straightforward aka blunt and know that at times it appears rude and offensive which seldom is my intention(cant say never as well there are those times lol) The information i was given to the meaning of Scotland actually made little sense to me but it came from a source one would consider reliable but I do not like to assume even reliable sources to be 100% accurate all the time. Never too old to learn. My Kilt is actually the recognized Veterans Tartan for the state of Oklahoma and i wear it with Black legging moccassins and have been told that they are not period but hey I like them and they are comfortable. It is not the letter of the law but the intent and its better then Nikes which by the way is what the young lass was wearing at the time she corrected me.
Proud member of FOKTOP

Lady Kett

Hi Rabbi!

Well I'm not sure about the best way to actually mount the horse, but a recent thread on Xmarksthescot.com does have a photo of a gentleman in a kilt, on a horse, so it must be possible! :)

Link to the thread. It's in reply #31 in case the link is wonky.

Nighthawk

Quote from: The Rabbi on May 31, 2011, 12:21:28 PM
I am assuming that you are wearing the Irish Safron Kilt in the photo if so I like that. I am rather bad about being straightforward aka blunt and know that at times it appears rude and offensive which seldom is my intention(cant say never as well there are those times lol) The information i was given to the meaning of Scotland actually made little sense to me but it came from a source one would consider reliable but I do not like to assume even reliable sources to be 100% accurate all the time. Never too old to learn. My Kilt is actually the recognized Veterans Tartan for the state of Oklahoma and i wear it with Black legging moccassins and have been told that they are not period but hey I like them and they are comfortable. It is not the letter of the law but the intent and its better then Nikes which by the way is what the young lass was wearing at the time she corrected me.

The tartan, yes. That's actually much more period correct than a specific clan tartan. The clan tartan system is Victorian; not Renaissance. So a state tartan is much more correct than a clan. As to shoes... well, the mocs may not be period, but they are practical and comfortable, and they can help to preserve the illusion, which is the most important thing, anyway! I actually just finished making myself a pair of Renaissance period correct Scots moccasins. Well, they're correct in appearance, but I used elk hide instead of deer. Elk is more durable, and looks like deer!

So to answer the question, yes, that is a saffron in that picture. I love my saffron kilt.

Quote from: Lady Kett on May 31, 2011, 01:41:46 PM
Hi Rabbi!

Well I'm not sure about the best way to actually mount the horse, but a recent thread on Xmarksthescot.com does have a photo of a gentleman in a kilt, on a horse, so it must be possible! :)

Link to the thread. It's in reply #31 in case the link is wonky.

You can also see a picture of the material I used for my mocs in that thread- along with the cat who helped me to make them...