News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How far is too far?

Started by balletboot, May 07, 2011, 10:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

Quote from: crazyrennie on May 10, 2011, 10:06:21 AM
With my job at fair I have to take a line being HA and being able to do the job-working in AZ some accomodations have to be made or else we drop from the heat

And they didn't have heat in the Renaissance?  The Turkish and the Italians did and they certainly got by.   Wearing a full Elizabethan is idiotic but wearing a hand sewn linen chemise, linen pants, and a linen "Turkish" coat is quite nice in the heat.  I've done it (95F plus 90%~ humidity).  I'm not saying you need to be perfect but I've gotten tired of the excuse "I need to work so I can't be H/A" because it's not like people didn't work each and every day in the middle ages/renaissance in that clothing as well. 

Ser Niall

I never considered ren faires to be historically accurate events at all.  The whole point to me is having fun, and transport yourself out of the real world for a day.  I love seeing all kinds of outfits, from HA to fantasy dungeons and dragons type garb.  As long as it all fits into the "medieval Europe" type theme, it all fits to me.  I mainly attend the Michigan Renaissance Festival, and there are always plenty of fairies, lotr characters, characters from fantasy video games, as well as many HA outfits.  None of it ever seems out of place, and all of it add to my personal enjoyment of the festival.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Adriana Rose

I like the look of the H/A clothing but its just not for me. I like how I dress and well I sort of have to dress in " kid crack" cloths. Like brighter colors and more disneyish styles because 1. I like it and 2. as a Garland girl I have to draw the little girls in and looking like a princess really helps.

Lady De Rue Rue

I take three perspectives of the faire, which is there are the "Guilds" which must be H/A, playtrons who are either close to H/A or 100% H/A, and then the faire enthusiasts who are just starting out at the faire and are slowly adding pieces as they go.

One of my gowns and accessories is very H/A, then I have a Tudor gown that is more faire fantasy even though it was sewn from a pattern from Tudor Tailor.  This will be our second year going as a family and our daughter wanted a "lavender" Elizabethan gown.  One of the "Guilds" rules is no one can wear purple except the Queen or if given permission by the Queen.  Well, we are not part of the Guild nor are we trying to join a Guild so, I went with what floats my boat.  So, our daughter got her lavender Elizabethan gown made for her. 

The way I look at the faire we are there to one: have a good time, two: meet some great people and three: escape from the crazy everyday modern world for a couple hours and find some sense of sanity. 

I don't go to the faire to nitpick or make judgements on people's garb or how they come dressed, life is too short!  Have a good time no matter how you come dressed.

Adriana Rose

My favorite snark on my colths at faire was from a girl wearing a metallic red dress she said in a very snarky voice " Thats not very accurate." Me with a very sweet smile , " Well neither are you honey"

The Rabbi

In my opinion fair equals fun from HA to the Mundane so go with what you wish and should someone choose to chastise you dont sweat it continue to have fun and if it screws up thier day that is thier problem not yours. As an individual I prefer period polite, As a fair owner my only restrictions are placed upon my cast members. If you pay to come through my gates I have absalutely no business to tell you what to wear.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 11, 2011, 01:01:20 PM
Quote from: crazyrennie on May 10, 2011, 10:06:21 AM
With my job at fair I have to take a line being HA and being able to do the job-working in AZ some accomodations have to be made or else we drop from the heat

And they didn't have heat in the Renaissance?  The Turkish and the Italians did and they certainly got by.   Wearing a full Elizabethan is idiotic but wearing a hand sewn linen chemise, linen pants, and a linen "Turkish" coat is quite nice in the heat.  I've done it (95F plus 90%~ humidity).  I'm not saying you need to be perfect but I've gotten tired of the excuse "I need to work so I can't be H/A" because it's not like people didn't work each and every day in the middle ages/renaissance in that clothing as well. 
There is quite a difference between living in the Renaissance era and being acclimated to the climate, and living in the modern world and trying to recreate the feel in heat we aren't acclimated to. If you are able to do it and not have a problem with it, you are a rare exception. It was also typical that during the heat of the day that workers in the more arid areas would use that time for rest. That is not a luxury that those who work at faires have.

For good or bad, people in this country cannot handle certain things that was common in the Renaissance period. Besides the temperatures, most people can't handle some of the bacteria and other "bugs" that had little or no effect on people in those centuries. It's not an excuse, Isabella...it's simply reality.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Captain Teague

Merlin, you and I think alike so much it's almost scary.  ;D

People then had NO A/C at all, were born in the heat,grew up and lived and worked in the heat 24/7. Obviously much more acclimated than anyone nowadays ever would be.
The Code is the Law...