News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Can't see all my pictures. Please help with advice.

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, June 02, 2011, 07:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

While downloading pictures we took in St. Louis to the desktop using IPhoto, an error occurred and the application shut down in the middle of editing the pictures.

So I restarted it again, and the pictures were still downloaded, however, a lot of them aren't there when you try to open them.  It says "The file "DSCN0478.JPG" could not be opened because it is empty."

Every picture that you can't see says that (the picture numbers are different of course).  Then the other pictures do show the miniature picture & you can open them and see the picture.

Steve tried to delete everything & he re-imported 3 times, but it is still doing the same thing.  You can see the pictures on the camera, they just aren't downloading.  I haven't tried to take them to Walmart & put the little thingy into their machine to see if the pictures come out yet.

As you can tell, I am clueless about anything computer/electronic oriented.  We have a MAC if that makes any difference.

If anyone can explain in kindergarten terms what we should try, I'd appreciate it.

All our beautiful pictures from faire, & half we can't see!  Bah!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

DonaCatalina

Well if you have windows 7, it may have deleted the driver for your photo reader.
You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver from the disk.
If that does not work take it to a place like CVS that will burn photo cards onto disks. If their machine can't read it, the crash may have wiped the card.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

renfairephotog

Sometimes iPhoto has hiccups. Most the time it's pretty easy to use. It's great for slide shows with itunes.

Search for image capture to see if it is installed on your Mac. It's not as automatic as iPhoto but I prefer it. I can download quick and move on to processing pics.

Insert your card iPhoto should automatically open, close or quit iphoto.
Open Image capture.
You can tell it where to put your photos. 
Make a new folder to store them. so they don't get mixed with what you've already downloaded.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Lady Renee Buchanan

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Dona, with our MAC, we don't have Windows.  it is something called OpenOffice.org.

RFP, we do have Image Capture, and I tried what you said.  It was easy enough even for me to do it.  And the pictures downloaded & I can open them!  I couldn't figure out how to crop, enhance, etc. but that's ok.  There are still pictures, not just empty jpeg files.

Thanks again to both of you for your suggestions.  Now I can make a St. Louis folder for this year, and maybe over the weekend, post some pictures.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

renfairephotog

Image capture just gets them to your Mac. There's no editing functions. You can make a back up copy and use iPhoto to edit them. But they'll still be named what ever the camera named them. So iPhoto will confuse those with your earlier downloads.I don't know if IPhoto has batch renaming capabilities.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Lady Renee Buchanan

The fact that they are on my desktop in a folder & we can see them & email them is enough for me.    ;D ;D

Thanks again to both for your help.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Merlin

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making