News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2011 Season starting with less musical/stage acts??

Started by deadgurl, June 03, 2011, 10:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadgurl

I keep seeing posts on their Facebook page about how Tartanic, Circa Paleo, the Village Idiots, Wine & Alchemy, and now the Washing Well Wenches won't be returning for the 2011 season.  These are huge with fest-goers, what do you guys think? Are the going to replace them or is the cast going to have carry the show?

Celtic Lady

I truly hope that they don't lose all of their entertainment/acts. 'Tis a sad sad day if they do.

Village Idiots - Kevin

I can only officially vouch for us that we will not be there this year. From what I understand, the Washing Well Wenches will indeed be there, (from what the MiRF facebook says). The other groups I have not seen anything official from them. I would suggest checking into their official websites for information. Also, keep in mind groups like the Wenches have rotating casts, so if they list a different faire during the time of MiRF, they have the ability to be in two places at once, and its possible that they're just ironing out the contract yet.
Kevin Starnes
Artistic Director
The Village Idiots
http://www.rennieidiots.com

Village Idiots - Kevin

Also, I spoke to Coco of Bocca Musica, and she assured me that Bocca will be there this year. :)
Kevin Starnes
Artistic Director
The Village Idiots

suka044

yeah im really dissapointed in how many acts are not going to be there this year. i have been talking to a few guys i know that do preform there and they say its all about money. tartanic, circa paleo and wine and alchemy are going to be at PA ren fest instead cause they pay more. also today on the mchrenfest facebook page hey said this "Whould you like to see Mike Fourtner of the Time Bandit from the show Deadliest Catch? What do you think?" really? paying to have some pseudo reality celebrity come? what does a fishing reality show have to do with the festival. if they had lets say some of the actors from game of thrones come in full garb and do something then yeah that would be awesome but not some stupid reality show. ive been going for years but the last couple it seems to be going down. last year i counted at least 5 shops that were just empty. and later they added some stupid light up kids toys or something in those empty booths. from what i remember the bakery and the chocolate shops were gone. also the additions of those ride things like the bungie trampoline and big side. really? come on those are SOOO out of palce. i do plan on going this year but from what ive been reading im not sure how many more ill be coming to.

Village Idiots - Kevin

The bakery and chocolate shops were only gone for one or two weeks. I've heard several stories, but what I pieced together was that there was a mistake on their contract that got blown out of proportion. Trust me, the Idiots ate at that bakery damn near every day. ;-)

We'll be at Maryland and King Richard's in Massachusetts during MiRF. I'll probably visit on the first weekend as its the only non overlapping week. Hope to see everyone there!
Kevin Starnes
Artistic Director
The Village Idiots

Poldugarian Warrior

I've noticed the decline in the realism of fair, course it can't all be accurate, but yes certain things are totally out of place and the world is all about money now, I don't think the performers don't like us fans, they have to do what's right for their livelihood as well, if you can make more money at another venue, by all means do it. But, I hope they remember that we do miss them when they don't show up. And I can see where tipping could actual tip the scales in the fans' favor. (no pun intended, but it is sort of funny). I tip because luckily enough I can, but I see the sweat and effort put forth by these performers and it's worth that extra money. And if they made more that way they may stay or come to a certain location more often as well. So yes, it's disappointing certain acts will not be here this season, but on the plus side they are making more money where they are. And maybe that too will allow them to travel more to different venues. Or come back.

NefariousDrO

No denying that things are really tough in Michigan these days. Last year when the festival rolled around I was trying to survive an $8,000/year pay cut, that ultimately ended in a layoff (so much for sacrificing to help keep the company going, eh?) but in some ways the stay may have turned the corner, now. It'll take a while before the benefits of that spread out to places like MiRF, but invariably it's the luxuries and such that take the hardest hit when things get tight. Here's hoping the coffers are a bit more full this year!

Poldugarian Warrior

Sorry to hear that NefariousDrO. Things will probably get better, but it'll take a very long time. In fact, in numbers it looks like I'm making more than I did 10yrs ago with the company, but now the taxes are higher along with benefits so I'm just making a little over what I made 10yrs ago. But, according to corporate it's helping the company stay afloat, and maybe in some cases it is, but still it's sad to see our state and how great it was just crumble. It's almost like watching the fall of the Roman empire, alomost being the key word, but it is bad nonetheless.

jersincl

I agree. My wife and I are disappointed with the lack of stage acts. It seems to have turned into a giant flee market with nothing but venders trying to make a buck in these hard times.Also,with the added kiddie play ground added so the parents can meander about and leave the kids unattended. We'll come back when the economy turns around and it's not carnival with all the barkers trying to make a buck.Bummer.........

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

There are literally dozens of stages acts, on something like a dozen stages. Three or more shows each on the greengrove stage, dell stage, mud stage, gryffon stage, the under pub i don't know the name of, hunker hauser, the jail stage, igors roost, mother oak, Guiness Pub, Little guiness, the drafthorse, the washing well stage, crown stage, treetop stage, the one behind the arch,  the filed of honor, the joust, and whatever they call the one all the way back at the far end of the faire, not to mention a load of casual street entertainment in between. All of them with acts on them damn near constantly from 10:30 to 6 or so. If you can't find a stage act, you aren't trying hard enough.

As to the vendors, yes, they are trying to make a living out there. It's what they do. Flea market? Enh. Maybe a little bit back in area 51, but the majority of things sold out there are all hand made, by people who enjoy what they do. While stage acts may be what people come to see, the vendors are the silent backbone of the faire, their fees are one of the things that keeps faires going.

...I'm sorry, but I'm really tired of people complaining about the lack of acts, when we have so many.

Margaret

Quote from: Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman on September 18, 2011, 11:24:26 PM
....If you can't find a stage act, you aren't trying hard enough......

As to the vendors, yes, they are trying to make a living out there. It's what they do. Flea market? Enh. Maybe a little bit back in area 51, but the majority of things sold out there are all hand made, by people who enjoy what they do. While stage acts may be what people come to see, the vendors are the silent backbone of the faire, their fees are one of the things that keeps faires going.

...I'm sorry, but I'm really tired of people complaining about the lack of acts, when we have so many.

Where's the LIKE button?  Where's the +1???
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Kathleen MacLeod

I agree, Duckman! This is my third year at MiRF, and I haven't even seen half of the stage acts.

Quote from: jersincl on September 17, 2011, 08:32:47 PMAlso,with the added kiddie play ground added so the parents can meander about and leave the kids unattended.

Just a nit-picky thing, but parents are not supposed to leave their kids unattended on the playground, and I believe the children's dell workers really try to discourage that. Leaving your kids unattended in any public-access area that gets thousands of visitors a day is just asking for trouble.
Sometimes you can't wait for the storm to pass; you have to just get out there and dance in the rain.

jackrocks

we went the weekend before last....and there were so many stage acts, we couldnt see them all, despite trying hard to...and we were there for about 6 hours. I wished we could go back again this season, so we could see the acts that we missed.

I like the different vendors....I like browsing through the shops, seeing different things. I cant afford them, :), but I still like to look at them.

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Also, about the children's realm: it's always been there. It's always had some form of play place. Children are not supposed to be left there without a parent, because no one is getting paid to watch them. unattended children ARE taken to security, when discovered.