News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need help finding some old sheet music

Started by Captain Teague, June 04, 2011, 06:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Teague

My exquisite other half bought me a very excellent quality wood recorder last Christmas. Still a stone NOOB at it, but planning to work on it soon to work it into a couple of my Faire personaes.

But one little flutelike number that caught my heart and I have always wanted to learn how to play was from the movie "Legend" with Tom Cruise. Like many movies annoyingly do, the soundtrack does not have the same tune as in the movie. Not a full song, more like a little ditty. You can hear a good portion of it in the first minute or so in this video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsXzHmyivr8

Frustrating to try to google anything on this movie because of its name. You get all sorts of legend hits, nearly all wrong. Ideas, comments, suggestions? Or perhaps one you vastly experienced far more than I could write a sheet up, it would be more than deeply appreciated. I have been chasing this tune since the original release.  :)
The Code is the Law...

Merlin the Elder

You might learn to play it by ear.  I can't read music even though I've been playing various instruments since I was maybe 10.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gwen aka Punstergal

Ok, i have NO idea where you could find the music for this, but I can tell you instantly that the artist's name is Kitaro. I've always loved the haunting quality of wood flutes.

If you put "Spirituele Teksten , kitaro tangerine dream" into youtube, you'll get another video (sans legend dialogue) with the same piece of music.

Happy hunting!
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Captain Teague

Many thanks. Yes, that is a very clear version of it. Alas, no sheet music for that piece either. :(
The Code is the Law...

captmarga

I do not know that any of Kitaro's music has ever been done in sheet/print.  All of it is quite complex.

However, try contacting your local Music Store (in the Dallas Area, I would call Pender's Music).  They will have resources the public does not, such as the MusiKey, which has a list of ALL available in-print sheet, as well as the type of arrangement.  (Can you tell I used to work for a music store?)  Much print music has now gone to on-demand, and therefore is on a computer, they select and print.

Learning it by ear or rote, or having a friend who can pick it out and transcribe seems best. 

I'll give it a listen.. I love Kitaro's music as well.

Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Captain Teague

Quote from: captmarga on August 04, 2011, 01:52:48 PM
I do not know that any of Kitaro's music has ever been done in sheet/print.  All of it is quite complex.

However, try contacting your local Music Store (in the Dallas Area, I would call Pender's Music).  They will have resources the public does not, such as the MusiKey, which has a list of ALL available in-print sheet, as well as the type of arrangement.  (Can you tell I used to work for a music store?)  Much print music has now gone to on-demand, and therefore is on a computer, they select and print.

Learning it by ear or rote, or having a friend who can pick it out and transcribe seems best. 

I'll give it a listen.. I love Kitaro's music as well.

Marga

Great idea.Perhaps I may at least get someone to do starter lessons to get me going too. Never knew about the on demand, that is really kewl.  ;D

Dunno about Kitaro himself, but this piece has burned itself into my brain ever since I first saw the movie "Legend."

And I have never heard it played at any Faire so far. Usually the Ewok celebration scene is more popular, rofl...

Trying to add it to my Elves arsenal.  ;D

The Code is the Law...