News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Grumpy old man's accessories?

Started by clark, May 30, 2011, 12:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clark

I figure now is the perfect time to start working on my father's garb since MNRF is only a few months away. Okay, it's not so much the actually garb we have to worry about since knowing him he'll want to try it all on first. It's more the accessories, he wants an ear trumpet. I've found a few on ebay but either they are too expensive or they just don't look right. Anyone know where I could find one?

Also, he mentioned before that he wants hand rolled cigarettes for fest. Probably a joke but I was thinking some cool cigarette case would be a great gift. Any suggestions on what I could use? Any and all suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance!

Dinobabe

What do you want the ear trumpet to look like?  Have you found a picture?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

McGuinness

Have you tried looking for cornucopia's (Horn-o-plenty's) at craft or home goods stores? You might be able to find a paper-mache or woven one that you could modify.

Delireus

Maybe you could use a drinking horn for the ear trumpet. Some even come with a hole in the tip. http://www.museo.helsinki.fi/images/fysiikan_kabinetti/fysiikka17.jpg this gave me the idea. Something small. I've seen small ones go for like 10-15$
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

clark

I love the idea of just using a drinking horn! Thank you Delireus!

My brother just got supplies for making his own cigarettes and loving it. So I think I might do that for my dad. But still, what to use as a case? I don't want to see him pulling out an aluminum case while in full garb. Any suggestions on something to buy or make?

Devangelon

Get an aluminum case and cover it with leather?

Dinobabe

Get a jewelry box and modify/cover it.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DragonWing

How about a wooden case. There are lots of wood artists out there that make small to large boxes or cases.

something like this
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Butch

For the ear horn, you could use a cow's horn.  Tandy sells them.  Very easy to drill through the tip, if you want it to be functional.

Or, maybe a wicker horn you could get from Hobby Lobby or Michaels.