News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Period Pavillions - Questions

Started by GryffinSong, January 31, 2013, 04:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GryffinSong

Greetings all,

I am new to the renaissance vending world, and am considering a purchase of a period pavillion. For my first faire, I'm probably going to rent a 10'x20' rectangular pavillion from Mediaeval Miscellanea. If I buy a tent from them, my rental fee (or part of it, depending whether I buy THAT tent) will go toward purchase.

I think I've found all the "usual" pavillion makers, but how does one know who's the best? If a tent is up for 5-10 weeks at a time, its got to be sturdy, weather resistant, and practical. I have VERY little exposure to period tents, so although I can look at fabric weight and properties, appearance, and guess by price perhaps ... I have no practical experience to bring to the decision. Obviously, I will know more after the faire, but I'd like to go into this decision with my eyes open, and armed with as much knowledge as possible.

My tentative plan for this first faire is to rent the Annaliese with mudflaps and floor, and pay them to deliver, set up, and tear down. That way I can ask questions, ensure that its up properly, and see how they do things.

I'm in the SCA, though I haven't been very active yet. I figure if I can get help to set it up, it'll be fun for events (though overkill in the size department! Might need some roommates LOL), and if I'm able to get into Pennsic as a vendor in the future it would also do well there, as well as many of the small to medium faires that don't require a permanent building.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can offer!!!  :)
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

Lady Renee Buchanan

One of the mods on this forum, Lady Nicolette, at one time had a vendor's tent.  She may still have.  I would private message her to discuss your questions.  If she still has it, it might be something you could purchase for less than a new tent.  I have seen it, and it is in very good condition.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

GryffinSong

DonaCatalina

http://tentsmiths.com/
Quite a few pavilions in the SCA came from these people. They make tents in many sizes and shapes.
Panther Pavilions might actually make more variety.
http://www.pantherprimitives.com/
I'm pretty sure that Panther did the pavilions for the movie 'Patriot' but I wouldn't swear to it.
Having said that, many period tents, even the small round ones, require a minimum of two people to set up. So be prepared.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

GryffinSong

Thanks! The rental tent I'm looking at offers to set it up and tear it down. The cost isn't too bad, so I'd do that for the first year. I've looked at Panther, but I didn't see any rectangular or square pavilions. Round ends wouldn't work for my display, though they're very cool looking. I forget if I've checked tentsmiths ... off to do that now. :)

Thanks,
Karen.

GryffinSong

Oh, I was wrong about Panther Primitives. They do square and rectangular. I don't know how I missed that!!! Ok, off again!  ;D

GryffinSong

Panther Primitives is in the lead, with Tentsmiths a close second. I think I'll rent for my first event and continue researching, in hopes of having my own for the fall. This is really FUN!!! I have, by the way, completely eliminated the possibility of dressing up a contemporary structure. I want to make a good impression with my artwork.