News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cast Changes

Started by groomporter, June 13, 2011, 09:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte Rowan

Okay I guess I have more to say on this issue...

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on July 01, 2011, 06:59:11 PM

...some cast members think wayyyyyyy too much of their self.    At least from my playtron/boothie perspective.  And I never understood what was so effing special about them besides the decent garb they were wearing. 

Kate, I totally agree with this. When I was a boothie, I always felt like performers thought they were so much more important than us. With Jaycees I felt a bit more appreciated, but that's because we had the beer, I think.  ;D And as for entertainment value, it is often boothies who interact with patrons more than performers. For me, when I was a boothie it was easier for me to "entertain" patrons, because I could do it within the context of my interaction with them while selling chocolate/beer. As a performer, I find it hard to go up to a group of people and pull off a bit, because I'm a strong introvert and NOT formally trained as an actor. Then again, as a member of a STAGE ACT, I should not be expected to perform on the streets as well. (Although for some reason, Terpsichory members are expected to entertain on street as well... but the Morris dancers, Scottish dancers, musical acts, and other stage acts like the Danger Committee, Tuey, Puke & Snot, etc are not expected to be out on street when not on stage. That is extremely irksome.)

As to the volunteer contract/VIP-playtron thing, I don't see how it's less of a legal liability. We signed the exact same code-of-conduct contract as we did last year (no alcohol between cannons, etc), we are still members of the cast, etc. I understand the need to weed out people who are just there to party after hours, but I think it's really unfair to punish those of us who work hard all day and want a bit of downtime with our friends after hours.

I also never get drunk after hours, and the events I have attended have all been either small, private, quiet gatherings or Fest-approved events such as charity events, talent show, cast party, etc. We have not found out for sure yet if we get hard passes vs paper, campground privileges or comp tickets/food books, but if we do not get hard passes or comp ticket, I'm going to be pretty ticked off and next year may consider returning to booth work. I certainly won't be doing any more parades/promos for Fest if we don't get comp tickets for our time.

Also, as a boothie, at least you can hang around and play when not working, or take a few days off, and drink. I don't usually drink anyway at Fest, but as a cost member, even a volunteer one, if I want to have ONE DRINK, and I get caught, I can get kicked out of Fest. I can deal with that if there are other benefits (comp tix, being able to do something I love, namely play my flute, out there) but if playing my flute is the only benefit left to me, after this year it might not be enough.  :(
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: William_MacKean on June 30, 2011, 06:24:33 PM
That is exactly the point.  It weeds out the leeches.  You should be there to entertain, not to soak up the day to party and socialize after hours.  THAT is a perk for those of us working way too hard to make the patron's day special.

Yes, true that entertainers should be there to entertain. However, if we are not paid, it is not a JOB, so it should also be enjoyable for the entertainer. If all of our perks are cut and we are not respected by entertainment management, it can stop being fun for us really fast, which will affect the way we perform. It sucks that our group will not be paid this year, but most of us are fine with that; if they try to make us into "VIP playtrons," however, I do not think that will go over well.

**sorry for the multiple posts... I am a bit worked up  :D >:( :P**

Marietta Graziella

Let it out, girl!

As a booth worker watching on the side lines I feel bad for many of my cast/performer friends.  I hope that whatever they are "moving towards" that it benefits the folks that make the show what it is (the ones who are actually entertaining the pay/playtrons NOT just casterbating or patting themselves on the back).  Without quality, trained, appreciated performers, the people paying to get in will stop coming.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

auntiegiggles

Just want to put my 2 cents in:

I was a volunteer cast member last year.  It is a lot of work for nothing unless you enjoy making people's days (Which I truly enjoyed)
As for the issues after dark - i think its combination of all groups.  There are bad apples in each one and when they get together after dark.....need I say more  ;D  Although, from what I saw  last year most of the major issues involved paid cast members.  Most of the volunteers went home after gate closing (we were too tired after a day of working).  I don't know all the issues that happened. I only know about the ones Carr discussed during the morning meeting as a reminder of what not to do after dark.

@CR - I am so glad to hear Terp is coming back!  Congrats!  I can't wait to see the group  :D
Everything goes better with giggles

SleepyArcher

I can agree that if you are not working a both or a paid street character you shouldn't be allowed on site after hours. That is a privilege not a necessity.

I for one would love a to have a volunteer contract when I play my FOP but I have no expectation of staying late, yea a place to rest and eat would be nice. I see to many people expecting everything and giving their everything in return. Like others have said most performers are beat after a 10 hour day. I have felt that too. But I also like the idea of playing Lord F whenever I want. With my work schedule I can't be out there every weekend.

I hear about all the trouble the "kids" are causing. Is there not an age limit for being on-site after hours? It sounds like the younger ones are ruining it for everyone and maybe Carr just needs to limit who has after hours privileges.  I'm no mastermind and don't intend to know everything but as others have said there needs to be some weeding.

I also feel that Carr and his money hungry hands are going to ruin this Faire. There are better ways to weed out the riff ref without getting rid of long time cast members. Obviously if you have been on cast for a millennia than you show a true a passion for fest. Maybe Carr needs to open his eyes a little bit wider.

Yes, I am speaking off of what I hear on here and hear from others talking so maybe I am way off base but for crying out loud he makes enough money of tickets and the horrendous prices for food he can afford more acts and performers.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

groomporter

There is an age limit for staying in the campground unless you are staying with a parent or guardian.

And it's not so much Carr's money hungry hands, -he's is given a budget and he has to work within it, but he does have his view of how things work... When Carr took on the job of Artistic Director he claimed he took it on for no pay out of love for the show -I don't know if that is still the case, (or if he gets some form of indirect compensation).
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Kiss-me-Kate

MG,
I just have to ask, what is casterbating??  ;D   

CR-I for one, am glad the Terps are back.   I hope you do get something great out of fest this season.  I for one, lost my Fest Spirit a few years back.  Finally found it last year, and had a great season.

I don't think *most* of the street performers make any real money out there, I think most do it for the love of the big show, and if they are lucky; they break even.  I know that is why I do it.  I want to make others love the magic that is Fest just as much as I do.

Dear God, only 39 days people!

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

groomporter

I assume it's similar to "masturbation theater" -doing skits that are mainly just "in-jokes" and therefore are only really entertaining to other participants. Entertaining ourselves instead of the audience.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Kiss-me-Kate

Thanks, GP.  I kinda thought that was it.   We had a few of those types bluster in to our shop last year.  They sucked all the air out of the shop.  I felt deflated after they left.   :P
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

Charlotte Rowan

@giggles - thanks!

@Kate - Yeah, I lost my Fest spirit for a couple of years, but actually last year was a great season. I am hoping this season will be, too-- I don't do it for the money, so I really don't mind being unpaid. I just hope being shifted to volunteer doesn't lead to being treated like crap.

@Sleepy - with all due respect, I think people who volunteer 12 hours a day, 2-3 days a weekend for 7 weeks should absolutely be allowed the privilege of staying after hours. That is the difference between playtrons and volunteer contracts -  obviously, we're all out at Fest mainly because we love it. But while playtrons are, of course, free to come and go as they please, not subject to MAF rules, etc, volunteers make a committment to be out there at least half time (at least all the groups I know of that get hard passes have a half-time minimum committment, otherwise you get a paper pass and can only stay until 10), rain or shine, hot or cold, and I think we're entitled to the privilege of staying after hours in exchange. If someone just wants to stay after hours and don't care about the show, there are many booths that hire part-time workers.

I'm certainly not saying all problem-causers are booth workers-- not at all. I'm just saying if someone really wants to just partake in the orgies that apparently happen after hours (which I've never seen...), there's an easier way to get there than a volunteer entertainment contract!

Kiss-me-Kate

Not to mention, Char.  
"Entertainers" are always ON.  You can't drop the act.  Ever.    You always have to be gracious regardless of how you feel.   If you are having a bad day/feel lousy/you are exhausted; the patrons don't really care.  They will expect you to suck it up.   :P

You don't want to do that Sleepy, do you?   You like being able to sit down in our shop (or another shop/show) where you can be Sleepy/Steve and not worry about any kind of character or rules etc.

I dunno, maybe talk to Giggles to weigh the pros and cons, and try out next year if you think you want to do it.

I would think being "on" from 9-7 would be difficult.
Just my 2 cents.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

Muffin

Quote from: Charlotte Rowan on July 12, 2011, 10:23:55 PM
I'm certainly not saying all problem-causers are booth workers-- not at all. I'm just saying if someone really wants to just partake in the orgies that apparently happen after hours (which I've never seen...), there's an easier way to get there than a volunteer entertainment contract!

I'm so glad your group will be back again this year!!  :)

As far as the orgies that happen after hours, yeah I've never seen it either.. (though I've heard some random stories, from things that went on a few years ago)  :P, but then again I am in bed by 10:00 pm (Muffin O'clock) so I miss a lot.. ha! Things may have been crazier several years ago, but from what I see now (we've been camping for 3 years now) its really pretty quite on the grounds other than those few nights when big things are going on (Talent Show/Cast Party/Beer for Boobs, etc..)

There are a few groups that stay in the campgrounds that I'd like to see gone, the ones who stay up all night drinking and hollering, which turn into the people you hear retching by the Priv's at 5 am...  :P *gross* (and seriously I am going to make a sign that says NO BARFING and put it by the priv behind our tent, LOL!) These people do not need to be there.. What good are you to the patrons if you are nursing a hangover all day just to feel better by the end of the faire day and get ready to party afterhours, and make so much noise that you keep the rest of us who have been up since the crack of dawn, worked all day and been responsible awake!!  

It will be interesting to see who remains this year.. I hope this new direction breathes life back into the show, and it is filled with people who actually want to be there to make the day special for the patrons. Staying after hours, camping, etc. is a privilege and should be respected.. There are rules to be followed, and it can still be loads of fun even when following the rules..

*I really hope to see my fest spirit return this year, I have a good feeling that it will*

Can't wait to see you all!!!  :-*
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Lady Spicer

Interestingly enough, most all the cast members have not received contracts yet... so most do not even know their status.  As Terpsichory did not find out their group status until very late for a group, the same is likely to be for the individuals contracts... paid or volunteer - leaving decisions to be cast until the last minute and the overall opening chaos to ensue.

While Lord Spicer and I fit into the paid entertainers group as a part of court (and all of court is contracted individually), we do not make enough to cover more than the expenses for 2 weekends (if that, since I am high maintenance)... and more interestingly we make less than 1/4 of what court members made 10 years ago.  What does that say about the tenor of payment history of our festival?

Hmmm... or is it just saying the Spicers aren't really entertainers?  It is possible!
Lady "Cinnamon" Spicer
Baroness of Worchester
Kimberly Grandprey
MN Renaissance Court

saphire_glade

@ Lady Spicer: Do you suppose they will juts have them for us to sign at cast call that Saturday? I feel I would be too optimistic saying dress press :P

Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

Lady Spicer

Its been known to happen in the past!  Or, we do get them the week before and have to turn them in at the first cast call!
Lady "Cinnamon" Spicer
Baroness of Worchester
Kimberly Grandprey
MN Renaissance Court