News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Bloomers!

Started by Deborah, June 16, 2008, 06:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborah

I went to a yard sale and found -get this- fourteen pair of hermetically sealed, unused, circa 1930 bloomers. Needless to say, I bought them. (After my first thought was: where in the world did they get these?) They are plain white cotton, with the legs to just above the knee. The elastic in the waist needs to be replaced, since when I opened the packages, they fell to dust.

My question: what can I do to make these bloomers more renn-ish? Any thoughts or ideas would be more than welcome!

Thanks!
If all is going well, you've obviously overlooked something!

isabelladangelo

I don't know how much this will help but here are some extant ones:
http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/extdraw.htm

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

One can add tiny cotton lace to add  aperiod flair. Where the eleastic was, do a corded drawstring. Even some decorative stitching. The sky is the limit.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Deborah

Thank you so much for the ideas! I like the idea of the drawstring, especially. Lace around the legs sounds fantastic...and I will definitely use that idea.

Merry

14 pair!  What will you do with them all!?

Tygrkat

Quote from: Merry on June 18, 2008, 08:33:51 AM
14 pair!  What will you do with them all!?

...and did they ever mention why they just happened to have 14 extra pair? 

???
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Deborah

To be honest, I didn't really want to know why they had 14 pair of bloomers that old...but when I asked how they happened across them, or if they were used, they told me that their great-aunt had a "thing" about buying several dozen of everything, including shirts, pants, skirts, etc. Then they showed me something pretty amazing...they had five HUGE boxes of pantyhose. Never worn. Never even opened.

What will I do with them all? I'm not really sure. I'm going to "ren out" two pair, drawstring and lace, but I don't really NEED fourteen pair of bloomers. Any ideas?

Merry

Quote from: Deborah on June 19, 2008, 08:19:11 AM

What will I do with them all? I'm not really sure. I'm going to "ren out" two pair, drawstring and lace, but I don't really NEED fourteen pair of bloomers. Any ideas?

Yeah::)  Ebay.  I know that sounds like a cop out on the creative use category, but nice bloomers are hard to find for Rennies!  Share the wealth! :D

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I wear them. They keep the legs cool and avoid getting "ren rash".

Which reminds me, I need to whip up another pair for myself. I make them with ensembles for others, I need more myself.

tigrlily64

I feel like such a noob, but would you wear the bloomers under a chemise?  Are they h/a? 

isabelladangelo

Quote from: tigrlily64 on June 19, 2008, 11:24:12 AM
I feel like such a noob, but would you wear the bloomers under a chemise?  Are they h/a? 
I'm not sure how you would wear them except under the chemise.   ;)  There is a link above that I posted in regards to period drawers but there is also a bunch of period paintings and woodcuts, such as those below, showing women clearly wearing drawers beneath their skirts, dresses, and chemises.

http://www.freewebs.com/isabelladangelo/xmilkmai.jpg
http://www.wga.hu/art/m/mantegna/2/judith.jpg

renren

What size are they?
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I wear mine under my chemise. It's like another pair of undies.

Taffy Saltwater

Dye them insane colors - they're your little secret, after all.  Or dye to match your garb - no embarassing whoopsies in the event of a tumble or gust.
Sveethot!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Our dear Queen Margaret at the MNRF is such a  card.

During a Tea we attended in 2006, she so happened to lift up her skirts during a skit to reveal lime green jammie bottoms with cute characters on them and she was wearing MOON BOOTS!!!!

When it comes to things under the skirts, the sky is the limit.