News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"knightly" pictures

Started by SleepyArcher, June 16, 2008, 08:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyArcher

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on June 25, 2008, 11:35:03 AM
Quote from: Deadbishop on June 25, 2008, 09:18:41 AM
Yes, my first thought of course was a nasal helm, but then I realized that I never see kettle helms being worn.  I more or less want one just because no one else wears them.

Don't like to be like the rest of the herd. I Understand that completely DB.  However, be careful as you know in time you could and may eventually end up having the entire "Crusader Grand Helmet Slam" which consist of a "kettle, a nasal, tranny and a grand!  It happens to the best of us......Deus Vult!

Well I just got mine this week...Woohoo!!!
Now here is my question and I know I asked warior monk on this. What is the best padding to put in these and where do i get it?
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Sir Ironhead

If you're not worried about historical accuracy, most of the heavy fighters in my SCA group get the foam camp mattress pads and cut them up to fit.  These are blue versions of the sleeping mat that the Army issues.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Chris B

You could put wool felt in the top to add some padding to the top.  I made two "donuts" out of leather and wool filling.  One is glued into the top of the helmet with several layers of wool felt above it.  The other is worn on my head like a bandana on the outside of the coif.  When I put the helm on it butts right against the glued one and keeps the helm tight to the head so it doesn't rock much, especially when I am wearing the crest, wreath, and mantling.  I know there are also some more elaborate suspension systems in helms, but we know the donuts where accurate too.  I guess it depends how H/A and how complicated you want it.  Hope that helps some.  Good luck.  Beautiful helm.

Sir William Marcus

Congrats on the new helm Sleepy!
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Sleepy on July 27, 2008, 06:29:15 PM
Well I just got mine this week...Woohoo!!!
Now here is my question and I know I asked warior monk on this. What is the best padding to put in these and where do i get it?

Congrats Sleepy! Look forward to seeing new shots! Be wary though for by its' sheer brilliance and awesomeness, DB may want to also wear it!!  ;)

And as Frere William has warned you, be careful.....I've been down the road he speaks of, and wear the t-shirt!  :P

SleepyArcher

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on June 27, 2008, 08:10:52 AM
Here are a few more helms offered from "By The Sword" to drool over.

Yup the first one is on my list now, just as soon as I pay off a few things and get my season passes for fest for me and the wife. I am not a kettle guy I dont look good in the nasal so I would only get a kettle for show on a shelf. If DB wants he could always wear the nasal. Hes got a bigger head than me and may fill it better, I have a narrow head and no hair.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Sir Raymond Keeper of Images

Jon Foster

Sir Raymond Keeper of Images

Sir William Marcus

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Just Jesse

Anyone going to the florence fair?

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

I hope to attend. Nice photo.

BLAKDUKE

Not the faire, but planning on the feast the weekend before. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Sir William Marcus

robert of armstrong

Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.