News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

eBay vendor Von Lancelot. Are they still around?

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, June 16, 2011, 12:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

From time to time, I venture over to eBay to check out the various vendors for Renaissance clothing, accessories, Porcelain Dolls, Ostrich plumes, fabric etc.

I have noticed I have not seen anyhting from the vendor, Von Lancelot, in quite some time. Are they still in business? I recall some forum members ordering from this vendor and were  very happy with their purchase.

Just curious.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rani Zemirah

I just checked my ebay feedback listing, and it says the seller "mycloak", who was the ebay seller for VonLancelot, is no longer a registered user on ebay.  Too bad, really, since they had some decent and affordable things for those of us who can't really scrape together the money for some of the more expensive things out there.  Seems like something always comes along that absolutely HAS to take precedence over the garb savings fund, these days... 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

arbcoind

I gave "mycloak" negative feedback due to his not correcting the problems with my purchases.  I believe there is a thread here about what was wrong with a bodice and gown I ordered.

Gina

raevyncait

I honestly can't say I'm surprised that they are gone. I do know that they were claiming ownership and mass-producing designs that were actually designed by honest and hardworking, small-businesswomen, and those were just the ones that I recognized the designs, and making them with less than stellar quality materials.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Rani Zemirah

I love the cloak I bought from them.  I barely paid anything for it, and it's well made, of good quality materials and workmanship. 

I did notice that they had quite a few other pieces that were similar in cut to some other designers, but that is seen all over the fashion industry, unfortunately. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rowan MacD

Quote from: raevyncait on June 16, 2011, 10:43:12 AM
I honestly can't say I'm surprised that they are gone. I do know that they were claiming ownership and mass-producing designs that were actually designed by honest and hardworking, small-businesswomen, and those were just the ones that I recognized the designs, and making them with less than stellar quality materials.
Like Damsel In This Dress.  I remember VL started selling inferior knockoffs of hers and others' designs very quickly once they decided to expand from the cloaks they originally sold. Unlike the Handbag and shoe industry, most seamstresses don't have the resources to pay a lawyer to defend copyrights.
  My guess is VL saturated the market with cheap garb, changed their name and moved on to another niche market, perhaps cosplay or steampunk.  I'd be interested to know where they turn up next.   You know they haven't just gone away.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Renee Buchanan

I typed in "renaissance cloak" on Ebay today and found cloaks and pictures very similiar to Von Lancelot.  The seller is called babylook_2008 and is from Shanghai, China.

I'm guessing it's the same establishment, but due to so much negative feedback, they changed their Ebay name.  I have no proof, it's just a guess, but it looks the same, and the English is just as bad.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on July 27, 2011, 06:00:12 AM
I typed in "renaissance cloak" on Ebay today and found cloaks and pictures very similiar to Von Lancelot.  The seller is called babylook_2008 and is from Shanghai, China.

I'm guessing it's the same establishment, but due to so much negative feedback, they changed their Ebay name.  I have no proof, it's just a guess, but it looks the same, and the English is just as bad.
I agree, it's looks just like the stuff they were selling, though it appears they are starting with cloaks again.
  I noticed they also got rid of the tell-tale 'asian model in the blond wig'  but the garb is the same.  The only VL items available for sale now are used garb people are getting rid of.
  If you want to avoid VL altogether; it's probably best just to keep away from the Chinese made stuff.   Plenty of US based sources for cheap garb if you want it.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I just checked that out. The cloaks look as though they have been hastily put together.  :(

LAVAGODDESSSS

I've had horrid experience with them, I see someone mentioned a few people had great experience with them.

I don't buy from people who knock of other people, as in steal their designs. Imitation may be a form of flattery, but downright stealing is wrong. The tool took Damsel's designs and did them a disservice. They looked very similar, but they were cheaply made.

Now, besides the fact that I don't agree with stealing someone's designs they created, I had a really bad experience with them.

They took nearly 5 weeks to get me my things, they were falling apart, the colors were different, and when I say the fabric was cheap...it was an understatement.

It was awful. Luckily my credit card has a satisfaction guaranteed clause.

I would NEVER recommend them, not only do they do inferior work, they are also thieves. If you want a cheaply made product, there are plenty in the US that would do a much better job and still save you money.

If you want amazing bodices or skirts, head to damsel.
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

When I attended the Oklahoma Renaissance Festival in Muskogee 2 years ago, I walked into the Damsel In This Dress shop. I complimented them on their unique designs for Bodices and accessories. The owner of the shop asked me where or who made my garb. I answered that I did.

While I understand that someone's designs inspire others , as mine do others, it is also important to respect a vendor's dedication to originality.  As well as what they have worked so hard to to achieve.

While it is difficult to copyright clothing designs, I see in the case of Von Lancelot, this was a case of design ripoff for profit.

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on August 18, 2011, 12:33:10 AM

When I attended the Oklahoma Renaissance Festival in Muskogee 2 years ago, I walked into the Damsel In This Dress shop. I complimented them on their unique designs for Bodices and accessories. The owner of the shop asked me where or who made my garb. I answered that I did.

While I understand that someone's designs inspire others , as mine do others, it is also important to respect a vendor's dedication to originality.  As well as what they have worked so hard to to achieve.

While it is difficult to copyright clothing designs, I see in the case of Von Lancelot, this was a case of design ripoff for profit.

Exactly! I commend others for being creative. I'm creative in a different way, I do web design and graphics. We are taught not to steal other's work or rip things off. Though it does happen, we have a bit more legal standing because once its on the web it is considered a published work, and that comes with inherant copyright.  That being said, it seems more 'accepted' in clothing. I realize that pants are pants and shirts are shirts, but there are obvious things that someone designed that no one else has like it. Damsel is one of those, and Von Lancelot did an awful thing. I think Damsel's clients were more horrified than she was. Though I know she was upset.

From what I've seen your designs are lovely as well, I'm sure you've spent hours perfecting things. I think that is just as important as the copyright I put on my websites. It is just unfortunate that it is difficult to copyright those amazing labors of love.

TheAlchemistsStar

As a DitD customer, I was truly horrified when I first stumbled across Von Lancelot.  I even left a comment on his then website about the stolen designs.  Then, I saw a woman wearing one of his corsets (and I use that term loosely) at Faire.  Talk about a knock-off.  This poor woman looked absolutely awful.  The "boning", being plastic, actually bent over her belly in the front, causing a rather unsightly bulge.  I felt sorry for the girl.   :'(
VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

Rani Zemirah

When I bought my cloak from them I never saw anything besides the cloaks, so I wouldn't know about the other things.  My cloak is just fine, though, and well made from good materials.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on August 19, 2011, 08:32:39 AM
When I bought my cloak from them I never saw anything besides the cloaks, so I wouldn't know about the other things.  My cloak is just fine, though, and well made from good materials.

I've heard nothing but decent things about his cloaks. He should have stuck to what he was good at - not knock offs of someone elses hard work.

I think that's why he went away though. He had a TON of complaints about quality, etc.