News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Suggestion/Idea on the Faire directory

Started by Captain Teague, June 22, 2011, 02:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Teague

Perhaps this has been discussed before and I am certainly a babe when it comes to any type of programming, also possible it is in place and I have overlooked it, but...

Any way to do a search engine for a fair, say like

Show me faires within (dropdown for say, 100,200,300,400 miles ) from ( location town/zipcode ) ?

I love those type for when I am looking to buy a lot of different items such as vehicles, etc.

Also perhaps to have the result list have a dropdown to adjust it by date. Just thinking that anyone could then very easily plan out an entire year of attendance with just a few clicks instead of manually looking up state to state, dates, distances, etc. Which we do now,lol.

Just a thought. Love the site and all that it has now, do keep up the good work.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

Rogue Hidesmith

Honestly, it wouldn't take too much effort to do something like that these days with all the bells and whistles built into the Google maps API. All you essentially would need would be lat-long for each faire in a DB and your current location.

Alas, time is always the smallest resource anyone has ^_^
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Merlin the Elder

I've been pinning faire locations on My Places to make it easy to figure out travel/time and distances, and find hotels... I write software daily though, so ... no, I wouldn't want to take anything else on....
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

dbaldock

I have more than 500 Faires and Celtic Festivals in a .KMZ file, but it's been several years since I was actively updating it.

https://sites.google.com/site/dbaldock9/kmlfiles

It just got too difficult to keep everything updated by hand.  If I knew enough about web application programming, I'd like to dump the KML data into a database and allow everyone to use a web interface for queries to generate an online Map View or a .KMZ file they could download.  And with a password, an Admin could make updates to the database.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

DeadBishop

Time and resources is a big part of it.  We would need someone who could do this dedicated work for the forums, and since the forum doesn't generate income, there is no way to pay anyone to do this job for us.  It would be hard to ask someone to take on a project like this for free as it would be fairly labor intensive.

R/F.com member since 2003