News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Eeek. I need packing advice!

Started by Tanda, June 24, 2011, 05:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanda

As I was repacking (for the 4th time) I realized that one of the outfits I packed has a stomacher with a solid piece down the middle and steel boning in the outer piece. How much of an issue is this going to cause in airline security? Does anyone have any experience with this? I am trying desparately to NOT check any luggage.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Blushing

I wish I could tell you ... but I think you'd be at the mercy of TSA in this case.  They should be able to tell what it is from the x-ray, but they might deem it a weapon, since they can't tell how sharp the edges are (just a possibility mind you).

I had problems with my pewter mug, until I took it out separate (i.e. with shoes) AND told them it was solid metal.

Sorry i can't be more help!
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Al-Nimer

I brought an aluminum Turkish doumbek back from Istanbul a few months ago.  I carried it through several security checkpoints, but always had to explain what it was.  The main problem I had was having packed a few smaller souvenirs & a camera inside it.  Had to take everything out a couple of times.  I also brought back a small ornamental scimitar, but that was in the checked bag...

I'd recommend just packing the stomacher on top so it's easily removed if they ask to open your bag.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Lady Kett

If you can pack it so that as you go thru security, you can pull it out and put it on top or in it's on bin, it tends to fend off the more rabid TSA people. When they can see what it is (even if they don't KNOW exactly what it is - lets face it they probably don't have a clue) it isn't so scary for them. I carry a bottle opener with me in my carry on luggage and am forever having to pull it out. Granted it's a little more identifiable to your average TSA agent, but sometimes it's just the "you're hiding something" vs "here it is goofball".

Good luck Tanda!

Merlin the Elder

*** I think I prefer "terrorists" to TSA ***
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Amras Elfwine

Having always brought the squirrel in a carry on bag, I stopped that a few years ago when TSA, seeing all the pins on his kilt on their machines, wanted to cut him open to "inspect him"...Todd, and myself, were appalled. He has ridden int he baggage ever since.
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Merlin the Elder

** sigh! ** The "bad guys" must be laughing their buns off watching as we cut open our stuffed animals looking for bombs...

Norfolk

Tanda,

My experience and that of many others is that TSA inspectors are completely unpredictable.  What passes without a second glance in Denver causes a red alert in Miami.  (That has actually happened to the Baroness and me!  What complicates the picture even further, is that theft of items from checked baggage is one of the great, largely-unreported crime waves of the last decade.

Consequently, we've developed a two-part strategy that we employ while traveling:  (1)  Don't put anything in checked baggage that you would be heartbroken to lose, and (2) put anything that would cause the most aggressive TSA inspector to raise his eyebrows near the top of you carry-on so that you can demonstrate its benignity.  If the item in question is a piece of ren gear the average TSA dunderhead wouldn't recognize, it helps to have a photo handy showing it in context. 

Wishing you an uneventful trip to Rendezvous!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Ms Trish

Quote from: Baron on June 26, 2011, 08:21:16 AM
Tanda,

My experience and that of many others is that TSA inspectors are completely unpredictable.  What passes without a second glance in Denver causes a red alert in Miami.  (That has actually happened to the Baroness and me!  What complicates the picture even further, is that theft of items from checked baggage is one of the great, largely-unreported crime waves of the last decade.

Consequently, we've developed a two-part strategy that we employ while traveling:  (1)  Don't put anything in checked baggage that you would be heartbroken to lose, and (2) put anything that would cause the most aggressive TSA inspector to raise his eyebrows near the top of you carry-on so that you can demonstrate its benignity.  If the item in question is a piece of ren gear the average TSA dunderhead wouldn't recognize, it helps to have a photo handy showing it in context. 

Does anyone even bother locking their bags anymore? I haven't bothered since the whole TSA thing because I never wanted it to be an issue. And if you do lock your bags, have you still had anything stolen?
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Tanda

Quote from: Ms Trish on June 26, 2011, 08:40:08 AM
Quote from: Baron on June 26, 2011, 08:21:16 AM

Does anyone even bother locking their bags anymore? I haven't bothered since the whole TSA thing because I never wanted it to be an issue. And if you do lock your bags, have you still had anything stolen?

I can't say I've had anything stolen, but on my last trip to Florida, several of my souveniour T-shirts arrived home with grease stains on them from being placed on a dirty surface while my checked luggage was inspected. It's one of the reasons I don't want to check anything.

I think I"m just going to go for it. If the worst that happens is that I don't get to take it with me or I have to mail it from the airport, that's not so bad. I've gone thorugh special screenings before and even that's not so terrible.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will make sure it's at the top of the bag for easy access.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Merlin the Elder

I have had stuff stolen. I will no longer fly because of TSA.  If I fly to see my son in NY, the total travel time—house to airport in plenty of time to got through pat-down and strip search, flight times (no non-stop service from here), and airport to his place in NYC—looking at about 9-10 hours.  I can drive it in 18, and see lots of nice countryside, carry as much as I want, have a large tube of toothpaste, and save money to boot.  When gasoline reached its highest, back in 2008, we drove to the Poughkeepsie area, spent two nights on the road each way (we were wanting to really take our time) and stayed in nice inns, and STILL saved money. Had a great trip to boot!

Amras Elfwine

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 26, 2011, 07:59:18 AM
** sigh! ** The "bad guys" must be laughing their buns off watching as we cut open our stuffed animals looking for bombs...

LOL! Yes, Todd and I have been "bombed" a few times, bit really... 8)
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Merlin the Elder

...and if I wasn't pissed enough at TSA... did you see what they did to the 95 year-old invalid?...

But I'm not going to worry about that today!  We're packing and getting ready to leave! 2 more days of work, and on the third day, when I rise, we jump in Homer, the Odyssey, and we begin our journey to RenDezvous! 

Merlin

What Baron said.... they are totally random.

I look like an idiot and I walked right into La Guardia in New York with no problems but my 14 year old angel daughter was pulled aside and questioned.
Also... my wife and other other daughter couldn't find their boarding pass so the guy said..."Ehhh... you guys can just go...but I still need to see her ID"  <--- The 14 year old... the only one who doesn't have an ID. I'm all for security but they need to be consistent.

Good luck explaining what that is to them also..... they aren't the most educated bunch.... if they were... they wouldn't be working there.

Do I seem bitter? Should this be on the rant thread? Naaaaa.... ya see... they took my contact saline and poured it out...but I walked on the plane with a cigarette lighter ! !

Top notch ! ! !
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Al-Nimer

Yeah, cos you know more than 4 oz. of saline is dangerous :o
Merlin, if your daughters have passports, you should carry those whenever you guys fly, even if it's just domestic.  (I think we should take ours this trip since we're leaving Texas, just in case something happens while we're gone  ;) )

In my experience with foreign travel the past year, the TSA is just plain incompetent compared to the British, Germans and especially the Turks.  All the airports we went through in those countries had better security in more ways than one.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters