News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Clan Elfwine is on the Ground in CO

Started by Amras Elfwine, June 25, 2011, 10:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amras Elfwine

Had a great flight yesterday, even if a lady did manage to drop her carry-on on me from the overhead...honestly, when did steamer-trunks become carry-ons, anyway...nothing the SW Airlines beverage service couldn't cure...Found a great Irish pub in Longmont last night, "Michael O'shea's"...Kevin, our waiter was great, as was the local Colorado brew, Longmont Brewery's "Sawtooth Ale"...had a great run this morning, and I think this colorado air is divine...headed out for further adventures in Denver this morning...see you in Larkspur in a week...Cheers!

(Todd chitter's a "hello" to all)
8)
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Blushing

Welcome! And enjoy all your Colorado adventures before faire!  ;D
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Amras Elfwine

Thanks, lass! I look out the window at the mountains west of Denver as I type this morning.

Forgot to mention the wondrous hot air balloon ascension that greeted me as I started my run yesterday. They filled the sky before disappearing into the cloud cover.

Had a fine day yesterday. Visited the Colorado Railroad Museum. I have never seen such an eclectic collection of steam trains before. Amazing how much they fit into 15 acres! Also, they were having a German heritage festival there. Did we make use of the beer tent? What do you think? The Paulaner from Munich was excellent!
Went by the Cussler Museum. Mr. Cussler is a favorite author of mine, and I had to see Dirk Pitt's cars...unfortunately, its only open on Monday and Tuesday, so we hope to drive by there on the way south tomorrow.
The Coors Brewery line was too long, so we bypassed it. Instead, we drove up Lookout Mountain to pay our respects to Buffalo Bill at the gravesite and museum. The views were spectacular! Great curvy drive up and down as well,with the opportunity to play dodg ball with cyclists.
Had supper at Casa Bonita in Denver last night. It is different! Gotta love a place to eat with cliff divers, magicians, mariachis, gunfights, and juggling gorillas in bathing suits. (That last was a sentence I thought never to have opportunity to write!)
Now headed out on a long run. After that, more Colorado!
Cheers!

R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

Norfolk

Welcome, and welcome again.  It gladdens our hearts to know that you are so enjoying our playground.  The Baroness and I look forward to meeting you and the Clan Friday next.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Welcome...in Ft Collins north of Denver we have New Belgium brewery. It is a far better beer than that Coors crap. They have free tours booked online. Not far from that is O'Dells also free tours. Casa Bonita while a neet place is not that great food wise. Santiagos is a far better Mexican place to eat. If you make it to Estes Psrk the Wapitia has great Elk burgers and serves both New Belgium and O'Dells beers. Do not forget the Denver museum of nature and science and the pirate exhibition of Black Sam Bellomy and his ship the Whydah.

Enjoy your stay and see you next weekend!
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Amras Elfwine

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions. We are indeed enjoying our stay, and look forward to the fellowship of next weekend.
I do agree about Coors not being the tastiest of beverages. My interest in the brewery was one of historical perspective.
Casa Bonita was worth it for the setting alone. I have never seen such a unique venue set up in an urban shopping center!

Yesterday morning's run was another fast one. This clean air is amazing. And, I was greeted again with yet another balloon ascension, this time with a clear sky. We headed out to Rocky Mountain National Park. Upon reaching the "Welcome to Estes Park" sign, we pulled over to the sight of dozens of chipmunks playing on the rocks next to a pull off area. These guys seemed quite tame, and enjoyed the offered peanuts.
(Aside: Todd the Squirrel of course rolled his eyes at this, at one point muttering, "Who are you supposed to be, Dances With Chipmunks?")
Spent a pleasant hour chatting with fellow adventurers and enjoying the chipmunk spectacle.
Rolled through Estes Park, which seemed quite the tourist destination. Headed through town to Rocky Mountain National Park. Enjoyed the drive up to Alpine Ridge, the 11,796 Elevation summit point, stopping to hike at several places. Did indeed Play in the snow in late June, lobbing several snow balls.
Saw elk grazing, a very peaceful scene. Hiked and adventured in the park for most of the day. Hit up The Dickens Tavern in Longmont upon our return. The Odell's IPA was excellent!
Today, we head to Boulder. Rumor has it that it is an ultra runner paradise. I may not want to leave.
Now, the NB1012s are laced up,and its time to hit the road and get in some miles. Cheers!
R/F member since 2004

Francisco Paula

boulder has some fun things to do,

Celestial seasoning tea tour, fun and free unless you buy tea

Redstone meadery has a tour and then taste testing yum

Butterfly pavilion is nice but kinda pricey

Tanda

Quote from: Sir Garath on June 27, 2011, 08:02:12 AM
boulder has some fun things to do,

Celestial seasoning tea tour, fun and free unless you buy tea

Redstone meadery has a tour and then taste testing yum

Butterfly pavilion is nice but kinda pricey

Do the Celestial seasoning tour! Totally worth it for exactly one room! You'll know when you get there. And hey, free hair nets! Last time we went, they had free samples in the ante room while you wait, so get there early.

You can easily do all three of those things in one day. None of them are that long. Redstone has kinda odd hours though.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Zoë

Amras, I am more than likely going to be free most of the week, and my beau is off of work Weds and Thurs - so if something in the Northern area (between Longmont and Fort Collins) peaks your interest, do let me know and we will try to meet up with you! There is lots to do up here in Fort Collins that we would love to show you.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Norfolk

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on June 27, 2011, 07:30:27 PM
Any one familiar with Mt. Evans?

Aye.  Drove to the top once.  Only my laundress knows for sure.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Mistress Charlotte

Hubby and I took the Gold Wing up to the top last year.  Bit of a scary ride as the edge of the mountain was so close!  It was so windy it actually blew the Gold Wing over!!..... So we didn't make the last treck to the top.  We headed back down as we thought if it got windier it would be to dangerous on the bike.  It was ICY cold so take winter clothing, there is still snow up there.
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Zoë

There is still A LOT of snow up at elevation. The beau and I were at Bear Lake (elevation 9500) about 2 weeks ago and we were standing in places that still had almost 14 FEET of snow. If anyone is in town for the 'Vouz and is planning on taking a trip up to the mountains, PLEASE pack accordingly. There is no such thing as "only planning for a daytrip" here.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Amras Elfwine

Hi, Zoe and friends! Alas, Zoe, our travels have taken us south...

Yesterday was yet another great day for the Elfwine Clan of traveling museum addicts...

After a great run, we checked out of our hotel near Longmont, and headed to...wait for it...the Celestial Seasonings factory in Boulder. We are tea lovers, and the tour of the factory was fascinating. The mint storage room still has my eyes pleasantly watering. Sampled many new products. Smiled at the part of the film they show which stated, "In 1969, after gathering herbs in the Colorado forests, they decided to open their own tea company..." 1968...herbs,,,oh, yeah... 8)
After Celestial Seasonings, we ventured only a few block to the Leanin' Tree Museum of Western Art. This may be one of Boulder's best kept secrets. The sculpture garden and galleries were incredible. Highly recommended!
Then, heading further south, we made a second attempt at the Cussler Museum, having been thwarted our first day due to faulty intel. This is another "secret museum", like Celestial Seasonings and Leanin' Tree, its tucked away in a neighborhood, in Avarda.
It was worth the trip west! Mr. Cussler has always been one of my favorite authors, and the cars featured in his series of "Dirk Pitt" novels are all there in the museum, along with many other concours-winning quality automobiles. My favorite: The 1948 Talbot Largo from the novel, "Deep Six". Spent a good 2 hours drooling, er, I mean , appreciating the beautiful collection.

Headed south after that, bidding farewell to the Denver area. Saluted  our soon to be quarters in Castle Rock on the way by, and nodded toward Larkspur from the highway. We find ourselves in the shadow of Pikes Peak...dined last night at Jack Quinn's Irish Pub...further adventures await.  Cheers!
R/F member since 2004

Mistress Charlotte

Quote from: Mistress Charlotte on June 28, 2011, 12:12:09 AM

Hubby and I took the Gold Wing up to the top last year.  Bit of a scary ride as the edge of the mountain was so close!  It was so windy it actually blew the Gold Wing over!!..... So we didn't make the last treck to the top.  We headed back down as we thought if it got windier it would be to dangerous on the bike.  It was ICY cold so take winter clothing, there is still snow up there.

It was late when I wrote this...  Mind you that we were NOT on the bike when it blew over.  We were already at the top and had it parked.  We had wandered through the old ruinslocated there first with the plan to hike that last bit to the very top (you can't drive the last bit you have to hike) and when we came out of the ruins we watched the wind stand the bike straight up and then over to the other side.  Talk about  Oh NOooooo.......!!!!! as you reach your hands out as though you may catch it from 300 yards away!
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."