News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Clan Elfwine is on the Ground in CO

Started by Amras Elfwine, June 25, 2011, 10:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mistress Charlotte

Pikes Peak cog rail to the top!!  Garden of the Gods for a pleasant walk in and amongst the incredible red rock formations of Colorado!
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Zoë

I second the suggestion for Garden of the Gods. It's lovely, and not too strenuous either.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Tanda

Quote from: Zoë on June 28, 2011, 09:45:26 AM
I second the suggestion for Garden of the Gods. It's lovely, and not too strenuous either.

And free! Or was last time I went.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Amras Elfwine

Tanda, you'll be interested to find out that Todd the Squirrel is still wearing his hair net from Celestial Seasonings...
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Zoë

Quote from: Tanda on June 28, 2011, 09:58:33 AM
Quote from: Zoë on June 28, 2011, 09:45:26 AM

And free! Or was last time I went.

It is free...apparently when the original purveyor of the land granted it to the state, he did so under the condition that it would forever be free to the public. Hooray!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Blushing

Aye indeed Zoe, it was gifted to the city, and all manner of other "rules" including that it always remain free, and only grows in size.

There's a money museum in the Springs too: http://www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/ExploretheWorldofMoney/MoneyMuseum/default.htm

And Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is fun ... you can feed the giraffes, and they have naked mole rats to watch!  (That didn't sound nearly as bad in my head ...)
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Gauwyn of Bracknell

We did the Garden and the zoo last year and they were well worth the effort.

We are headed to the sand dunes area - any recommendations here?  We are also rafting out of Canyon City - have done this before too.

My wife has secured a business appointment with Lillian Vernon in Colorado Springs, so huzzah - part business trip!
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Tanda

Quote from: Blushing on June 28, 2011, 11:38:23 AM
Aye indeed Zoe, it was gifted to the city, and all manner of other "rules" including that it always remain free, and only grows in size.

There's a money museum in the Springs too: http://www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/ExploretheWorldofMoney/MoneyMuseum/default.htm

And Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is fun ... you can feed the giraffes, and they have naked mole rats to watch!  (That didn't sound nearly as bad in my head ...)

That's a fantastic zoo! And the chairlift ride is worth the extra cost. You can see Kansas!
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Blushing on June 28, 2011, 11:38:23 AM...and they have naked mole rats to watch!  ...

Well, no wonder you're blushing! Do we have a touch of a perv streak?  ;)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Amras Elfwine

This Wednesday opened with one of the greatest runs ever, but more on that in a bit.
Tuesday was a relaxing day. After a good workout, we went up to Garden of the Gods to get the lay of the land. The vista that opened before us was incredible...getting off the main drag, you drive through a neighborhood (seems a good percentage of the great Colorado attractions are in neighborhoods, close to the communities...good stuff), the huge red and white rocks seem to appear out of nowhere, like something out of Lovecraft. Saw a great Imax-style movie at the visitor center and picked up a trail map. Going through the park, this old cross country runner new he'd be back early in the morning for a run...but, more on that in a bit.  :)

After that, we headed up to the Cog RR to make reservations. We'll be on today's (Wednesday) 1250 trip up to the peak. We then proceded to the Miramont Castle, and toured the great Victorian building for a couple hours. I felt as if I should have my steampunk garb on the whole time. Had tea and sandwiches in the tea room. A good museum!
Returned to the hotel for the manager's reception and cocktails that evening. The Jack and Coke was very, very refreshing...Now, on to Wednesday (today) morning...
Had a fantastic run around and through the Garden of the Gods this morning. Thrilling trail running at its best. Finished the perimeter in just under an hour. The red rocky terrain, mixed with the white rock and the greens and browns place you on sensory overload. Taunted by very fast jack rabbits around every corner. The deer are almost tame, merely looking up as if to say "hi" when you run  by them, not 10 feet away.The birds living in the rocks put on quite a show, as did a group of falcons swooping and calling overhead. I could get used to running in a rugged and beautiful setting such as this.
Talked with Captain Spleen for awhile this morning. I think we should be prepared for a certain amount of "scurviness" in a few days.
Headed for a Cog RR excursion this afternoon, and further Colorado adventure.
And, the weekend will soon be upon us...cheers!

R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

Amras Elfwine

Spent a relaxing morning taking it easy after yesterday's long run. Then,  a fascinating trip on the Pike's Peak Cog RR with an unbelievable vista at the top. And, its just plain fun to watch golden belly marmosets frolicking in the rocks. This high-elevation, thin air kinda day ended up with supper at the Edelweiss Restaurant in Colorado Springs. The Spaten Pilsner was excellent.

Had a wonderful long hike through Garden of the Gods again this (Thursday) morning. The views as the sun rises and the light changes are something to behold. Don't know what today holds, but am looking forward to it. Lots to see here, and not enough time!
Cheers! 8)
R/F member since 2004

Amras Elfwine

Just in from another wonderful early hike in Garden of the Gods, our last of this expedition. I started missing it as soon as we left the gate. We'll be on the road for Castle Rock In a few hours.

Yesterday was our fullest yet. Started with the long hike, and proceeded to the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame. Having grown up with farmers and horsemen, it seemed like the thing to do, and was fascinating. Enjoyed seeing the Ben Johnson exhibit. Though he's best known as the winner of the Academy Award for his performance in The last Picture Show, he always said the accomplishment of which he was most proud was winning a rodeo world championship, which he did in 1953. But the exhibit which blew me away was a surprise. One of my favorite actors was Slim Pickens, who as Tagart in Blazing Saddles, has most of the good lines, and there he was, in the hall of fame, as a rodeo clown.  Who knew?
Went directly form there to Cave of the Winds, and enjoyed a hike underground. Gorgeous formations!
From there went to the Manitou Cliff Dwelling, a reconstruction of Pueblo and Anasazi cliff dwellings. Very well done.
Then, it was back to Garden of the Gods, were we enjoyed the late evening breeze through the trees, and the calls of magpies and other bid life. Very relaxing!
Now, we are getting ready to hit the road in a bit, and will see you all this evening.
Cheers!

R/F member since 2004

Zoë

Huzzah! Glad to hear you've been able to make the very best of your vacation! See you tonight.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Amras Elfwine

Looking forward to it, Zoe!

Anyone checking in to the Castle Rock Comfort Suites will be greeted this evening by a certain squirrel who is spying on the parking lot from a third floor window.

See you all in a bit, and, as always, cheers!
R/F member since 2004

Amras Elfwine

A great 10K this morning after the meet-n-greet last night. Blushing and Spleen did a great job hosting, and Castle Rock probably still does not know what hit it...realized our situation this morning on my run when I noticed that we are located right next to a State Police Barracks and the Sherrif's Department...honestly, officer, I'm new here...

Looking forward to the best RenDezvous ever...aren't they all?
Cheers!
R/F member since 2004