News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fairy wings

Started by gypsylakat, June 16, 2008, 12:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsylakat

Hey I have a question for all you fantasy garbers (myself included)

How the heck do you move through crowds without wacking everyone? lol my friends were peeved by the end of the day of getting molested every five minutes by my wings... lol and mine are fairly small let alone some of the delicate custom made ones that are humoungous
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

isabelladangelo

How are yours made?  Mine are only stiffened on the top of the wing and just "flow" down from there.   I haven't had much of a problem with hitting people and mine are medium sized...but then again, the fantasy faires I go to are pretty wide open.

TKM

easy: fly around. there's not as many people in midair.

lol

but no, really, if people dont want to get hit by your wings, they should stay out of your way. it's their own fault ^_^

gypsylakat

lol shows at mdrf aren't so "open" lol... I just took to holding the back of them before going into shops..
Mine are cheapos lol Just wire wings sewed to a felt panel in the center of my back...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Trillium

Move carefully, watch for wide spaces to walk, try to avoid drunks, stand at the back or side of shows, don't even attempt to enter some shops (or at least wait until they empty out some)...
and my personal favorite, have a large barbarian with a large hammer as a companion! ;D
Got faerie dust?

isabelladangelo

From what is sounds like you are saying, it might be a style issue.  Mine are the small (pixie?) style from this lady http://amethystcottage.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=43

She doesn't seem to make fairy wings anymore but they are "loose" hanging wings from butterfly shaped wires that hide beneath your gown/bodice/bra.   Like I said, I only wear mine to fantasy faires (MD Faire Fest) and haven't had any problems.  (I try, normally, to stay away from wearing fantastical garments at MDRF unless it's Day of Wrong.  I'm so making an exception for "Magic" weekend and going as Bellatrix LeStrange.   ;D ) People that have borrowed mine for Halloween parties also haven't had any problems.

It sounds like your wings go "out" and are stiff all the way through.  Mine go up "up" and back a bit but are soft everywhere except the top.   What you might want to consider doing is just making a pair of wings that are more like penants (aka, flowing) than traditional stiffened wings.  (This is also helpful if you are like me and accidently back up into things every few minutes.  :) Your wings don't bend out of shape!)

CatAshtrophy

I have extremely rigid wings that are made of twigs and they stick out enough to get hit by others. I have mastered a sideways shimmy that lets me weave in and out of people. I avoid shops usually. Because my wings are pretty flat to my back and just stick out to the sides, I can usually do okay at shows. The main thing is remembering not to twist around and hit people with them. I also do quite a bit of apoligizing with my wings on. Mine look fragile (but aren't) so many people are also fairly protective of them for me and try to help me get around.

Aelwyn

I make some wings that curve back, so as to avoid wacking folks, but the "stick out at either side" are still the most popular.

My own actually only stick out at the back....a new design I was experimenting with. 

If people are walking towards you and can see the wings, it's their own fault for getting wacked.  If you're coming up behind people, carry a bell and ring it, shouting "Faery coming through!"  ;)  That usually gets people to move.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*
Find me on Facebook as Aelwyn Daeira
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

Philomel

When I was performing, we just had to stay out of certain shops while wearing wings. (ie, anything glass, pottery, etc. (We also had to avoid the non-child-friendly acts, because the kids were really drawn to us.)

Because I was most mobile, I wound up having to run and pick up things for folks with the huge wings.