News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tails?

Started by cincivulcan, July 03, 2011, 07:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cincivulcan

I have a new costume thats kind of piratey... and I'm thinking about getting a tail for it. Are the tails too... noobish?... for lack of a better word :) I'm on the fence about liking them... but I think it would really make the costume look nice. What's your oppinion on tails?

redkimba

There's a thread on fox tails here:  http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=7057.0

It's mostly on "why do folks wear them", but the opinions are there.  :)    I think they're silly but if you think it will go with your outfit/garb/dress - go for it!

isabelladangelo

So you know that guy out there on the street corner who mutters to himself and argues with himself that you completely try to avoid?   

http://www.louvre.fr/llv/oeuvres/detail_notice.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673226427&CURRENT_LLV_NOTICE%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673226427&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9852723696500812&baseIndex=115&bmLocale=en

That's who wore tails in the Renaissance.   Just sayin'.

NoBill Lurker

If you want to wear a tail, wear a tail!  ;) ;D
I have 2 myself, one's a 4ft. chestnut horse tail and the other ones a black fox tail (I got it to wear with my new garb).
At my faire there's a dozen or more women that wear at least one or more. And some are pirates.

And remember that if you're not on cast you can wear what ever you like as long as it's legal...It's Faire after all so have FUN !!!
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Bonny Pearl

If I understand it correctly tails are now worn as more of a representation of the furs worn in that time.  Our faire is too darn hot to be in furs until very late in the season.  I read that fur was not only worn for warmth, mark of status, wealth, etc., but it was also believed the little biting vermin would be attracted to the hide and not your skin.

I wear a tail and love it!  There is sort of a new boom of tail styles coming out lately as well.  Some styles remind me of what you might wear if you were attending a masquerade event, etc.

Like NoBill said, if you want to wear a tail, wear a tail!  ;D  We see a lot of them at TRF, which I believe you posted you will be attending for the first time, yes?  If you wear one at TRF, you won't feel out of place at all.  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

cincivulcan

^.^ thanks guys. It's def. something to think about. I was actually thinking about the black fox tail. Tails are extremely popular in Ohio. And about Texas... I've been planning on cool outfits and how to keep myself from passing out :) Tomorrow marks 99 more days... and I can't even begin to express how excited I am!!!

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: cincivulcan on July 04, 2011, 05:19:30 PM
^.^ thanks guys. It's def. something to think about. I was actually thinking about the black fox tail. Tails are extremely popular in Ohio. And about Texas... I've been planning on cool outfits and how to keep myself from passing out :) Tomorrow marks 99 more days... and I can't even begin to express how excited I am!!!

Which weekend do you plan to be visiting?

Have fun with your garb!  You will see a broad mix of outfits at TRF; noble, wench, pirate, belly dance, gypsy, barbarian, scots, clergy, fairies, etc., and even some steampunk.  There is a photo thread for each year under the faire page here on R/F, might have to dig a bit for the past years.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

cincivulcan

1001 Dreams. 98 more days :)

DonaCatalina

Quote from: isabelladangelo on July 03, 2011, 10:26:12 PM
So you know that guy out there on the street corner who mutters to himself and argues with himself that you completely try to avoid?  

oh no! Foul Ol' Ron?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

Quote from: redkimba on July 03, 2011, 08:20:41 PM
  I think they're silly but if you think it will go with your outfit/garb/dress - go for it!

That's exactly why I wear them.  They are silly and fun, and mundanes ask questions every time.  It's a great ice breaker.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Muffin

Quote from: Rowen MacD on July 06, 2011, 10:09:35 AM
  I think they're silly but if you think it will go with your outfit/garb/dress - go for it!

That's exactly why I wear them.  They are silly and fun, and mundanes ask questions every time.  It's a great ice breaker.

Absolutely!! Tails are fun!! I am a beer wench at MNRF and it's always great fun when customers ask about the tail, and I can respond with "Well, everyone likes a little tail with their beer"  :D  ;)
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Welsh Wench

Quote from: NoBill Lurker on July 03, 2011, 11:08:28 PM
At my faire there's a dozen or more women that wear at least one or more. And some are pirates.

;)

Have one. Wear one. Love mine.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Muffin on July 06, 2011, 12:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rowen MacD on July 06, 2011, 10:09:35 AM

That's exactly why I wear them.  They are silly and fun, and mundanes ask questions every time.  It's a great ice breaker.

Absolutely!! Tails are fun!! I am a beer wench at MNRF and it's always great fun when customers ask about the tail, and I can respond with "Well, everyone likes a little tail with their beer"  :D  ;)

I vote we have everybody tell tail stories:  
 What do you tell folks who ask about your tail? Personally I vary the story, inventing some right on the spot ^_^ .    Ladies (and some guys) Post your favorite reasons/meaning for sporting a tail.  I need some new stories.....LOL.

Edit:  "Tail?  What tail?"    and   "Oh those pirates....Were they playing pin the tail on the wench again?!"
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Zaubon

Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 06, 2011, 08:53:06 AM

oh no! Foul Ol' Ron?
Buggerit! Millenium hand and shrimp.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Zaubon on July 06, 2011, 01:47:34 PM
Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 06, 2011, 08:53:06 AM

oh no! Foul Ol' Ron?
Buggerit! Millenium hand and shrimp.
ROFLMAO!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess