News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cavalier-style vest

Started by RobMoore, October 14, 2015, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobMoore

Hello everyone!!

Just finished the first weekend of TRF and it was great!  I'm already getting ideas for a new garb but need some advice.  I'm going to go back to a Cavalier-type outfit and think I found a great vest but I have a problem.  How would I wear a rapier belt? Would I wrap it around the waist of the vest itself or under like a normal belt?  Also, one thing to keep in mind, the only pair of pants I use has a stretch waist, so basically no belt loops or anything for the belt to really fit around.

RobMoore

Here is a picture of said vest.

isabelladangelo

Part of the problem is that's not Cavalier.  That's 1890's Victorian in cut with modern acetate fabric.   It would be nice for steampunk events which tend to be inside but I'd be hesitant about wearing it to the faire due to the fabric.  Since it's Victorian, you could wear a holster on your hip if you wanted to go that way but I honestly shy away from people wearing anything too far out of the Renaissance time period like this.  Cavalier would be okay but there are better places to wear Victorian. The probable pattern for said waistcoat is on the linked page.   A period fashion plate from the early 1890's showing a man wearing a similar styled one

Sir Ironhead

Technically it should go over your doublet/vest.  That said, wear it where you want as you're the one wearing it and you only have to please yourself.   My sword belt goes under my doublet as that's how I am built and because I'm somewhat of a fatso, lol
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

RenJunkie

The problem with cavalier vests is, as Isabella mentioned, is that it's Victorian. I mean, it's a gorgeous vest, but for some reason (like so many Victorian names), the style doesn't resemble that which it be named after. But if you want a sword with that, wear a coat over it, and the sword belt should be at about your natural waist.

For a proper Cavalier look, you're going to want a 1640s-ish style doublet. Your sword holder should be a baldric for a Cavalier.

If you want to go more Elizabethan, a rapier belt is correct, and it goes over your pants, and under your doublet. Elizabethan doublets end around your navel, and then the skirting/peplum goes down from there from what I've been told. So if your sword belt settles around your hips like modern pants (if you're a bit round like me, it will, or it wall fall off), it will be about the bottom edge of your peplum.

Check out some portraits of nobles and gentlemen from time of the style you want to see how it was pulled off. I think I'm right, but the portraits will confirm or deny my accuracy...lol

Thanks!
Chris