News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tails?

Started by cincivulcan, July 03, 2011, 07:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandra Johanna

I've seen tails lately advertised on ren faire sites that are made of feather boas. Those seem a bit more mardi gras to me than ren faire, but if someone can make that work creatively, than more power to them.

I have a fur tail that I will be wearing for the first time next weekend with my general wench-of-the-woodlands outfit. Its just for fun and because I do so love fur!

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: LAVAGODDESSSS on August 30, 2011, 12:30:43 AM
Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 04, 2011, 10:52:53 AM
 There is sort of a new boom of tail styles coming out lately as well.  Some styles remind me of what you might wear if you were attending a masquerade event, etc.

Hey, can you explain this? :D

Oh that's right you are getting ready for a Masquerade Ball!  :D  I have seen tails that are black/white like a Lemur, some folks have horse tails, etc. Pretty much any animal that has a long tail seems to be a go now lol.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

StilettoWolf

The rumors around here is that...the more..ahem...promiscuous playtrons wear them.

But man would I look cute with a pretty red fox tail.

isabelladangelo

Hi and welcome to the forums.  Please be away that the thread is two years old. 

That being said, here's what tails meant in period It meant you were a fool

DonaCatalina

Quote from: StilettoWolf on May 28, 2013, 02:30:02 AM
The rumors around here is that...the more..ahem...promiscuous playtrons wear them.

LOL. No. A lot of people who wear them have them confused with Zibellinis, or they just want to drive the H/A people crazy.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Serenity

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 29, 2013, 05:05:53 AM

LOL. No. A lot of people who wear them have them confused with Zibellinis, or they just want to drive the H/A people crazy.

Honestly, this is why I wear them sometimes - just for fun :)  I love pettables, and it does drive the HA freaks crazy  hehehe
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Serenity on May 29, 2013, 08:57:24 AM
Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 29, 2013, 05:05:53 AM

Honestly, this is why I wear them sometimes - just for fun :)  I love pettables, and it does drive the HA freaks crazy  hehehe

Of the many things I am, a freak is not one of them.  To me, when an individual wears a tail, I see this:

It's a painting from the 16th C.  One of the two in which people are shown wearing tails in period.  The other one isn't nice either.   It's the equivalent of wearing a tin hat and muttering "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" today. 

If you want to wear one, no one can stop you.  However, it's good to know how others view them and not assume that just because some of us actually want to see the Renaissance in a Renaissance festival that we are "freaks".   It's about putting context to a cultural ideal in a temporal domain.  If the year is supposed to be 15 hundred and something, then we should understand the considerations of that time and attempt to understand their world view. 

Trillium

Quote from: Serenity on May 29, 2013, 08:57:24 AM

Lets play nice please.  I know you were joking around but lets not have name-calling.  Most people don't like to be called a freak...
Got faerie dust?

Rowan MacD

Most of the tail wearing crowd doesn't care about looking HA anyway, so tails fit right in with the 18th century corsets, short skirts, flip-flops and sneakers, pirates, and the rest of the Renn-ish fantasy wear. 
   I have honestly never seen them worn by anyone trying to be the least bit HA, so I have no issue with them at all.   I only wore them when I dressed as a wench (I still do on occasion) which, I will admit is also non-HA. 
   Personally,  I don't care if somebody wants to wear a tail.  They are a fun accessory, like faun horns and fairy wings, and if it gives you joy you should wear them!

Just don't expect anyone except Garb Nazi's to care, and most of them are in pursuit of the folks they think are actually trying to be HA,  leaving the fun-wear crowd alone.  Doubtful that you will drive any of those folks crazy.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Aderin

Have fun and don't worry about "noobness!" Worry about having a good time :)
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Stuben

I like Tall tales better than short fuzzy ones  ;D

Stuben

Serenity

You assume that "freak" is a bad thing.  Poor assumption, but your call.  And Garb Nazi is any better?  (Sorry to pick on you Rowan, but since I was called out, I want to know why your comment wasn't)
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

Tazjia Swiftsail

I'm not concerned at all with historical accuracy, I like to make my garb into what I feel like is me! I have two fox tails. Though the animal lover in me feels extremely like an A-hole for buying them. Especially since I love foxes so much... I apologize to the foxes they came from every time I put them on. But anyway, if getting a tail makes you feel like YOU then do it up! Faire to me is almost like jumping into my favorite books as I am a fantasy nerd and like to feel like I am in Dragon Lance  ;)
Tazjia Swiftsail at your service!
Me: ~renaissance festival addict|animal lover extraordinaire|nature lover|landlocked Pirate Queen|ink addict~

Aderin

Quote from: Tazjia Swiftsail on July 02, 2013, 03:38:55 PM
I'm not concerned at all with historical accuracy, I like to make my garb into what I feel like is me! I have two fox tails. Though the animal lover in me feels extremely like an A-hole for buying them. Especially since I love foxes so much... I apologize to the foxes they came from every time I put them on. But anyway, if getting a tail makes you feel like YOU then do it up! Faire to me is almost like jumping into my favorite books as I am a fantasy nerd and like to feel like I am in Dragon Lance  ;)

Well said and wisely followed!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

mercy1

I try not to wear real fur, and only resort to getting new feathers when my old ones are thread-bare. I like the faux furs, they clean up nice, and I know something pretty didn't die for me to wear it.

I think the thing that stopped me from wearing them, was the news item of China telling every one that some of their  product was fake fur, when it was really dog and cat fur.
The idea of wearing 'Max' or 'Oliver' on my butt is pretty horrible.   :'(
Boots first, then bodice!