News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'Tartan' mock kirtle

Started by Kate XXXXXX, July 04, 2011, 05:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate XXXXXX

I'm making a sample garment, using the same patterd design as I used for my mock kirtle:  

That used 60" wide fabric, so it was easy to put the pockets in the seams, and it was plenty wide enough at 120" less seam allowances.

The 'tartan' fabric (a nice light cotton drill plaid) is only 44" wide. Three widths make 132" less seam allowances...  But what about pockets?  I don't have quite enough fabric to match the plaid at the seams if I give it three widths.  It won't matter if there are no pockets, but it'll become a lot more obvious if I have to cut and join the fabric to make seams in the correct place.

Will 88" be a wide enough skirt?  What width do you like?

Have cheated!

Laid out the bodice and sleeve pattern to best advantage, and turned the rest of the fabric sideways!  The plaid is the same across or down, so...  Skirt has ended up with two panels of 45" from waist to hem, giving plenty for turnings, by just shy of 59" wide.  Once made up, I defy anyone to notice!

Fully lined bodice and tie-on sleeves, side pockets, unlined skirt.

Next question: It's plaid...  I'm thinking of a plain red herringbone tape to trim neck, bodice front and sleeves, with either red piping or a red bound edge to the shoulder wings.  Or leave it plain?   :-\

Kathleen MacLeod

Could we have a picture of the plaid before we render a judgment on trim? :)
Sometimes you can't wait for the storm to pass; you have to just get out there and dance in the rain.