News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Staying in character

Started by Arsinoe Selene, June 16, 2008, 06:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arsinoe Selene

I am very shy. Like, stupid shy. It sucks.

I can't hold an accent in public without feeling foolish. Even if it is a pirate accent at a pirate ren faire (like this weekend). I just revert to being me, and not 'Bloody Sleeves' Kate like I was supposed to be.

There is another faire coming up in July while we are going to be on vacation that I'm going to be going to. I really do want to keep up an accent at least. Even just a simple (for me) English accent. I want to meet people. Currently, my social life consists of college with a major that is primarily composed of women, and work, which is a yarn shop. Yeah. Not many people my age come in, and practically no guys my age.

Any tips on not letting shyness get the better of me?

McGuinness

A really obvious tip on staying in character?

Don't drop out of character.

It sounds dumb and sounds obvious, but its true. There are a lot of fellow castmembers of mine that willlll drop dialect and drop character the second they get backstage and then it takes them a little while to get back into it when they go "back to work". Even if you aren't cast, start getting into character the second you get in your car to go to the faire and don't drop it until you leave, even if you are alone and talking to yourself or ordering your meal or in the bathroom or whatever.

As far as getting over your shyness? I've been there. The biggest thing that helped me was making your CHARACTER outgoing for the day, not necessarily trying to make YOURSELF outgoing. It takes awhile and a lot of work to change yourself but if you can say "I can do this and I can talk to those strangers because thats what my character would do", its a step. If you act outgoiiing, eventually you will be. Start just being outgoing with cast at the faire if it makes you more comfortable because they are there just to talk to people.

And remember, EVERYBODY sounds a little wierd when they just start a new dialect. If they say they didnt, they lie.

Good luck, and just HAVE FUN!!

Phillip McGuinness

Another good tip for staying in character is to know your character. Try to figure out ahead of time how she will react to certain common situations and how she would answer common questions...and practice them until they become almost automatic. In particular, practice introducing yourself in character. That will probably be your most common interaction.

I have dealt with shyness issues also, and it helps me to remember a couple things. First, no matter what you may think, most of the people you meet are not judging you in any negative way. They're too busy worrying about whether you're judging them.  ;D Second, a good percentage of the people who see you probably won't even remember you unless you really go out of your way to make an impression, so even if you do really make a fool of yourself, chances are no one will think twice about it. Those things are what get me through my day.
Got any ale?

www.drunknsailor.com

Arsinoe Selene

Don't drop out of character.

^That is actually very good. Sometimes the simple things are the best.

I hate being shy. I work retail at a small shop, so I do register, helping people find stuff, fixing mistakes, and teaching classes. I'm pretty good there. Socially, I am awkward, though.

I really need to keep in mind that other people are more worried about themselves to concern themselves with someone they just met. That needs to be my mantra from now on.

Lady Nicolette

Arsinoe, I'm very shy also (although many here may not believe it).  I find that being in garb helps a lot in getting rid of that, since then I'm not me, but I've been doing that for quite a few years and it has developed over time.  I find that I work best and am much less shy one on one.  Since you (like me), work retail, try thinking of everyone as one of your customers, you have to greet them with a smile, most likely, and a bit of conversation.  This is really no different, and if you remind yourself how much you are broadening their enjoyment, it can help toss off the heavy mantle of shyness.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

AnyuBoo

There are some really good pieces of advice here...I have almost exactly the same problem Arsinoe Selene does.   :P  Hubby helps some by "forcing" me to talk to people.  Last year, for example, he told the King of Spain that there was a bit of a story behind how we met, then took off, so that I had to tell that story.  I got through that (sort of) by focussing on just the King while telling the story, even though he was surrounded by attendants.
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on June 17, 2008, 07:18:58 AM
Arsinoe, I'm very shy also (although many here may not believe it).  I find that being in garb helps a lot in getting rid of that, since then I'm not me, but I've been doing that for quite a few years and it has developed over time.  I find that I work best and am much less shy one on one.  Since you (like me), work retail, try thinking of everyone as one of your customers, you have to greet them with a smile, most likely, and a bit of conversation.  This is really no different, and if you remind yourself how much you are broadening their enjoyment, it can help toss off the heavy mantle of shyness.

NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can tell that line to people that don't know you, but don't try that here.  There are two terms that I wouldst pronounce as mutually exclusive and they are  SHY  and LADY NICOLETTE.    :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Cobaltblu

In no particular order:

1. Wear garb because the old saying "clothes make the man (or women)" holds a lot of truth.  Not only for those for see you but also for yourself and your confidence that you ARE your character.  Also if you wear garb (especially a mask) people will spend a good amount of their time looking at the garb and not necessarily focusing on every word you speak and expression on your face.  They will "get" a good portion of the experience of interacting with your specific character just by looking at your garb.

2.  I would focus on mastering WHAT to say and THEN how to say it.  Don't worry about the accent as much as what you are saying because what you say will do more to express your character than how you say it.  Work on using your thee's thou's thine's and so on.

3.  Focus on what the audience may expect your type of character to do and act.  For example everyone has preconceived expectations of what a pirate does and how they act, I.E. sail on a ship, robs people, says "ARRRR" and etc.  Start with saying and doing things which people expect so they more quickly understand what type of character you are and then add in your own finishing touches to explain your specific variation of a basic character type.

4.  Pick a character that comes from something within you that you either already are or want to be.  The basis of your character could even be some small part of your personality which you especially enjoy which you would like to exaggerate.

By doing these things it will be much easier to stay in character because you and your audience will be more confident in your portrayal.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Lady Nicolette

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on June 17, 2008, 10:34:34 AM
NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can tell that line to people that don't know you, but don't try that here.  There are two terms that I wouldst pronounce as mutually exclusive and they are  SHY  and LADY NICOLETTE.    :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D 

See, my advice works!   ;)

That's just because you met me for the first time in garb, m'lord!  And I'm not as shy with my friends, once I've decided that you're "in," you're in for good with me!

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Alphonse

Well, shy is a relative term,agreeing on what exactly shy means and the degree of it is not something easily agreed upon all the time. ;D

Two pieces of advice that I would share with you Arsinoe, the first one is that playing the role of a character is allot like acting or giving a speech. There is an old line of advice to combat stage fright, that goes like this," imagine that everyone in the audience is in their underware". I think that if you see them as vulnerable and ridiculous anything that you might say or do would pale in comparison. It never worked for me,though. I always had the best luck when in front of a group, with realizing that I was scared and making myself slow down, speak slower and try and pick a person out of the group,making eye contact with them. By focusing on the one person, I was able to tune out the rest and help assage the panicky feeling of facing a crowd.

The other bit, I practice myself also.I go to faire, first and formost to have fun.Remembering that, I do not feel pressured to speak in an accent all the time. Role playing, instead of acting works better for me when I am playing at being a wizard.Thinking about the things that a wizard might think about or say rather then trying to memorize lines or accents seems to allow me to do a good job at it.Of course being a wizard is no doubt differant then the role you play, people expect a wizard to be mysterious. I can more times then not do a good job of playing one without doing allot of talking.A simple look or a nod is often enough to convey that sort of image.Of course there is down side to doing a good job looking like a wizard, that being I hear,"look there's Gandalf" more times then I can count while at faire  >:(

DonaCatalina

Most Re-Enactors have a worksheet
to help them develope their characters.
If you work out in advance what kind of background and personality your character has,
then its a little easier to imagine how they would react or converse in public.
[img=http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/1mAeo_z/Does-your-name-match-your-personality]http://Names[/img]
can also conjure a certain personality type in our minds.

Try to have fun while you're exploring your alter ego!  ;)
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Alphonse

That's exactly the sort of thing that I was thinking when I said I role played my character rather then acted it. My character Alphonse the wizard evolved out of various wizard characters I played in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons many years ago.In that you create an outline of your character,writing down your strength,wisdom,intelligence, basically all your personality and physical traits as well as all your personal possessions.Which basically the same as the worksheet mentioned by DonaCatalina.This gives you an aid towards what I was talking about, becoming in thought then in action the character that you wish to portray.

Lady Christina de Pond

i can't hold an accent for nothing i tried it last year if i even hold an accent i start speaking spanglish
then when i try to stay in charater i can't because my friend keep forgeting to stay in charater and there is no point when your alone
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

DT_Masters

A thing or two. There is a passage from the Dr. Who book "The Sunmakers" where Leela feels afraid when she knows that she shouldn't for the warrioress she is. K-9 tells her, in his technical way, that there is a chemical in the air that makes her feel afraid. She takes that in understanding that it is the magic of her enemies that is making her feel afraid, therefore, she will disregard it.

Similar thing here. See what you see, experience what you experience not as someone from the 21st century but as someone from that time period. He's not Darth Vader, but a knight from a distant land in black armor. Now that means an open mind, to disregard what you know from the 21st century, to embrace different viewpoints, alternate scenarios. Me, it's rather easy, but between writing sci fi, studying psychology, and developing naval tactical scenarios ("how is he seeing this situation so that he might launch his missiles down that axis")...........you learn over the years.

In short, for what the modern person maybe seeing, how might another see them?

Secondly, it really helps to study your character as much as you can. So far, in acting, I've mostly played astronauts (well, two US astronauts, two characters in a space opera) ....... but I create dossier chapters on them to analyze them to the extreme, to develop a Model to know how they react in the world.

But, if I can't make a dossier on them, if I don't have a long running fantasy that I might bring into play  for impromptu, then I mimic. I use someone else's performance that I liked, that I would like to be that person, and activate that for how ever long I need to.

Ie, we were doing group impromptu, of where we were sitting in an airport lobby when 9-11 occurred. Totally off the cuff, didn't know that was coming ...... but I brought into play a long running fantasy of  fabelous animals in human form living in the modern world and turned that on to the situation, how would such a creature react to such, in that story line.

In short, one has one, maybe several running scenarios where they know that world and can fall back on it as necessary.

Finally, you might be able to find a sanctuary point, for lack of better terms, in the character that you can turn to if things start to slip. One of the space opera characters I was playing was a woman tearing into her lover who had betrayed her and her emotions were going up and down the scale, from rage to compassion, and back again. Well, between the fluctuation of emotion and the gender bending of the part, there was a possibility of losing it.

The sanctuary point was that "she" had been thru something of a nerve gas attack and that's where I would run to if I started to lose it........because one could experience such emotional control loss from such an attack.

As it turns out, I didn't need it, the part went over beautifully ......... but it was there, just in case.

Find something in your character so if you fall out of character ...... there is an acceptable reason in that character for it to occur.

stonethrow

I understand the shyness thing -

Couple suggestions I tell new people doing this.

1. Remember it's not you.  It's a personna - put it on and take it off at the end.
2. Playtoys - have things that help you in to character.
3. It's Halloween - put the mask on (no not a real one) and play in it.
4. It's the clothes. - learn about them - I talked to a mother and daughter for 30 minutes answering questions about my clothes.
5. Relax. no one is judging you (and if they are - nothing you can do will make them happy so screw them)
6. Have fun.
7. Eliminate contractions
8. Have fun.