News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Staying in character

Started by Arsinoe Selene, June 16, 2008, 06:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nliedel

I'm playing an Italian Flower seller who sings at MIRF. Althoug I've done acting, I've never had to keep it up for that many hours before and I always failed to keep it up at faires before. I was not on cast then.  Now, it's do, or be fired, so I will do.

1. When you're at home, do the accent. The kids think I'm a goofball, but I do it all day long, and stay in character.

2. Go out to dinner one time, a place you don't normally go, and do it. I'm serious. If people ask you where you are from, say where. IF they ask, "Orignally," say, "Oh a bit here, a bit there." Just keep it up. If your dinner companion is the type to roll eyes, find someone with a better sense of humor.

3. When I put on my garb I am Serena. I am no longer Nancy. I'm an emotional actress and really get into it. THe reason you're dropping character is you're afraid you're going to make a doofus of yourself. You're at a Ren Faire, it's THE pace to go for it.

4. Go shopping and use it.

5. Go in saying, "fear is for wimps and *I* am not a wimp" and mean it.

If I can do this, so can you. I'm serious. No one should judge you and like stonethrow said, if they are there's nothing you can do about it, except maybe stick your tongue out at them as they walk away. Not mature, but sometimes it makes you feel better.

Have fun. This is FUN! not a stressor. IF you muck up, like a diet, get back on the diet and don't try to make up for the mistake. You can't fix it.

I know you can do this.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Greenman66669

The best thing that has helped me over the years, was to watch the BBC or an English movie.  Just hearing the accents and word structure help get you into it.  Try picking out some quotes and talk along with what you are watching.  After a short time you start to feel comfortable with whatever accent comes out of your mouth, and you stop feeling too shy about it.

I'll say whay every one else has already said, do it do it do it, then do it some more;  and have FUN.  Rember, it's all just a game anyway, so enjoy it.
Shogun of Japan
Loki Prince
FOKTOP Royal Marshall

King Henry Tudor

Arsinoe,

Everyone has given you excellent advice, great personal examples, and wonderful support.

My fellow MiRF Cast member, Serena, had some very good advice, too, but she forgot to point out a simple three work phrase we ALL live by at MiRF.  That is DARE TO SUCK!!

This is a phrase I hold very dear to my heart and even rely upon it in my personal, non-Faire life.  Don't be afraid to fail, for those are merely opportunities to learn new things about yourself and the world.  Don't be afraid to take chances, for you'll never know how fun something can be until you try it.  Don't be afraid to make a complete fool of yourself, for that is usually the BEST way to entertain not only someone else but yourself as well.

Remember that performing or interacting at a Festival is a way to step outside yourself, step outside your comfort zone, touch the emotions of others, and, ultimately, learn MANY new things about yourself in the process!

So, my dear Arsinoe, I say to you, GO FORTH AND DARE TO SUCK!!

(we all will be watching, cheering, crying, and laughing right along with you)
King Henry Tudor VIII
King of England and Wales
Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festival

Captain Kilian

While i am horrid at staying in character, and it usually just comes down to a lot of Aye! Arrr! and such (I'm a pirate), I think people forgot to mention BEER! Have one (or more) and relax. For my own purposes, I also find this beer to be a great prop - hoisted high and proud in a fine mug (mmm tasty prop).

Other then that the real deal (and the beer may help with this) is to not give a ....woot....what others think. If you do anything the people here have suggested and get a dirty look, or other unpleasantness then give them a good raspberry (or the finger) and inform them at least you have fun, and they can stick it where the sun does not shine. Its about you having fun, not what others think. A great many woes in this world would be eliminated if people stopped trying to impress others and do what they want.

*gets off soap box and has a beer*
"I'd like to thank all the little people...that just never saw it coming." - Me
Royal Order of the Landshark, Guppy 14

daggrim

Well, it's a bit late to reply to a thread that's so old, but..
This is great advice for me, too, as a renfaire merchant.  Thanks especially to DT_Masters for the "sanctuary point" concept.  I'll be using that a lot..."Er, you may not have noticed, but I am not from around here, and I am not familiar with your ways".  And also to Sir William for "Dare to suck".

My worst problem is trying to figure out a Norseman accent.  I often end up sounding like the Swedish chef from the Muppet show.

Daggrim
A merry heart has a continual feast.

DT_Masters

Quote from: daggrim on November 08, 2008, 11:55:04 AM
Well, it's a bit late to reply to a thread that's so old, but..
This is great advice for me, too, as a renfaire merchant.  Thanks especially to DT_Masters for the "sanctuary point" concept.  I'll be using that a lot..."Er, you may not have noticed, but I am not from around here, and I am not familiar with your ways".  And also to Sir William for "Dare to suck".

My worst problem is trying to figure out a Norseman accent.  I often end up sounding like the Swedish chef from the Muppet show.

Daggrim

Thank you! ........... but I am still learning.

After two less than perfect approaches yesterday, it's time to once again rethink about how to go about things. Let me explain yesterday, in brief. As I get more and more into being a Rennie, I try to introduce myself to my photo subjects so at least they have a face with the name. But some of them are completely in character and I am not and hence it goes over roughly.

So, I think, it is time to integrate the "net" photographer of DT Masters with the time traveling anthropologist gone native of Jonathan Kidd. Ie, I may be Dr. Kidd in 2051, but in Ren times, I'm DT Masters, traveler, adventurer, and a member of the North Easterlies Trade (guild). Work it more and more into character, less and less out of reality, and hope the photo subject on introduction gets the translation ..... and if not, well, I did try.

Certain experiences over time can come into play. If they call the camera a camera, they must either be a gypsy (those who gave it to me) or maybe a faery. I was able to use that at Middlefaire when another said "That's a fancy camera you have there." And I looked at him oddly and replied, "You must be of the gypsies...." even though he hardly looked that part.

Looking at events over the years as I have tried to blend in, I would say, first of all, learn from the mistakes. See what went wrong and improve on it. Years ago at TRF, a blonde (woman) beefeater asked me about that device ...... and I tripped and fumbled over canons and the Vatican. The next year I had researched it into a backstaff (early navigation equipment) which I used at the last Scarborough ...... but I think that story is going to be changed to the gypsy one.....though I may keep the backstaff as a backup.

Secondly, it may be necessary to have several sanctuary points that one can run to if necessary. They might be linked and therefore giving one a path to solve the discussion or they might be neutral that gives one time to think of a story to handle the talk. In my inexperienced state, I'd say they are more neutral but at this point, it is more of a notion or concept than an actual story as I fumble along.

But just because the concept may be fumbled doesn't mean it is necessarily useless. It might just need to be developed further.

I'm not much on accents yet. Maybe next semester when I take voice. I tried doing 007 doing Hans Hergenscheimer from "DAF", a german accent, on my way over ...........................

.................I sounded more Scot.