News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

ZARA

Started by Welsh Wench, July 10, 2011, 09:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Wench

Zara seemed oblivious to Phillip's presence at the ball. 'Like moths to a flame,' he mused when he saw the rapt attention they were giving her. And no doubt about it--Zara was definitely a standout. She owned that room. Probably the entire ball, too.

Her chestnut hair was piled in loose curls on top of her head, tendrils framing her face. Her sky blue eyes were sparkling with amusement.
The dress was new--Phillip had never seen it--and a sunflower yellow. It sat beautifully on her sun-kissed shoulders.
She was unlike any of the Virginia women these men were used to.
The pale skin, the light hair.
Zara left them looking like unpainted canvasses, faint sketches at best.

She smiled at each of the gentlemen, making each one feel like she only had eyes for them, garnering her attention.
But one gentleman stood out. He stood in back of Zara, over her shoulder. He was close to her, close enough to whisper into her ear.
And his vantage point afforded him a view that brought out jealousy in Phillip.

Phillip took two glasses of champagne from a tray that was passing by and sauntered over to her. A sardonic smile graced his face.
"Well, Miss Zara, I see you have been making friends," as he handed her a crystal flute of champagne.
She gave him a brilliant smile as she accepted it. Turning to the gentlemen, she said, "I'd like to introduce to you my teacher. May I present Mister Briggs? He is one of my father's oldest and dearest friends."
Phillip gave a slight nod to her new friends.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

"That is your one glass for the evening, Zara, against my better judgement," he said sternly. "I know how your parents would disapprove of you indulging in anything stronger than small beer at your tender age. It will be our little secret."
He gave her an exaggerated wink to drive the point home. Zara kept her cotillion smile, but only Phillip would notice her glare of aggravation at his remarks.
The young man who had taken up station over Zara's shoulder cleared his throat. "As a teacher, you must be relieved to be back on dry land. One can only imagine how alien life on the open sea must seem to you."
"Not at all," said Phillip. "I found much to occupy myself with between tutoring sessions."
"Lesson plans, no doubt," sniffed the young man.
"That, and captaining the ship. Teaching is merely a sideline during this voyage." He could see the colour rising in Zara's cheeks.
"Ah, well," said the young man. "I see. You'll forgive me, of course, for assuming that you were a mere passenger."
"A valuable lesson for you then; to assume the obvious is to overlook the obvious," said Phillip with an icy smile. "I don't believe I caught your name, Mister...?"
"Lord Andrew Peffley."
"It was a pleasure tutoring you this evening, Lord Andrew." He nodded again to the other young men. "Good evening, gentlemen."
Phillip started to turn to leave but paused to say, "Do pay heed to the hour, Miss Zara. After all, we wouldn't want you to stay up past your bedtime."
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

Will looked over at Phillip walking towards him.
"Remember...not a word." and started to walk towards other guests.

A beautiful blonde whispered to her friends, "I really find it hard to believe."
A gorgeous redhead smoothed her hair back from her cheek. "If Admiral Harkness said so, then it must be true."
"But he's so good looking," a pretty brunette said, casting longing glances at Phillip.
"I feel sorry for him."
Another woman with ethereal features said in a low voice, "I think I will try to cheer him up."

Dilcey put her serving tray down and motioned quietly to Will.
"And just what have you said to turn all four of their heads in Phillip's direction?"
Will took a glass of port and rocked back on his heels.
"Oh....I may have told them how our esteemed Mr. Briggs is recovering from a broken heart. A heartless tart--not that I used that word--broke his heart and he came up to see Uncle Will to mend his pride and his heart."

Dilcey smacked him on the arm gently and chuckled. "I am so glad we are on the same side. I would hate to have you play with my life like that."
He pointed covertly at Zara on one side and Phillip on the other side.
"Just trying to make sure those two know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are in love."

Phillip wandered over to the verandah doors that Will had opened into the terrace. The breeze felt good and the full moon shone down, making shadows on the  lawn.
A voice behind him said, "Pardon me. I couldn't help but notice that you dropped this."
The woman held out a handkerchief.
"Hmm? Oh. I am sorry but that is not mine."
He tugged at the cuff of his new shirt.
"Oh....I guess it is mine. I am not used to shirts like this. Plain silk is more my style."
"A beautiful night, isn't it? But sometimes I find the indoors a bit too stuffy for me."
"I know what you mean. I am more at home on the ocean."
She gave him a puzzled look. "Oh. You are not newly arrived gentry?"
He smiled and gave her a bow.
"No. Captain Phillip Briggs from Barbados, formerly England, at your service."
She extended her hand to him. "Julia Peffly. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
"Peffly? I think I just met a Peffly. Relative of yours?"

She looked over to where Zara was standing. "My brother. He is the one standing behind the little vixen with the gaggle of young men around her."
"Vixen? You met her then?"
"Oh heavens no. I can see she doesn't have the social graces that we expect here in Virginia."
Phillip crossed his arms and leaned on a porch column.  "Really! I am fascinated.What, pray tell, is she doing wrong?"
"Well, for one her dress is too low on her shoulders for someone her age. Her face paint is so subdued one would almost mistake it for not wearing any at all."
"Maybe she is a natural beauty."
"No one looks like that unless they have a bit of help along the way. The hue of the dress is a bit too bright and unusual. Girls of that age do best with pink or blue. You cannot go wrong with white either."
"You don't say!"
"And she has no fan."
"What would that do? Maybe she isn't warm."
Julia laughed and touched Phillip's arm gently.
"There is a whole language of fans. It is an unspoken language but obviously she doesn't need one. She seems bold enough."
Phillip tried to laugh as this Miss Peffly seems to have Zara pegged pretty well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zara glanced over to where Phillip had disappeared. What she saw gave her pause.
There on the verandah stood Phillip engaged in a lively conversation with a very pretty blonde. She had occasionally laid her hand on his arm and there was something about the way she tilted her head when she smiled at him.
"Miss Wolfe? Did you hear what I said?"
"Hmm? Oh, I am so sorry. What was it?"

Lord Andrew Peffly smiled at her. "May I get you another glass of champagne?"
"I'll get it."
"I was here first."
"No, you weren't. I was."
"I'm the one closest..."

Zara looked around at each of them and smiled demurely.
"Why, let me think.... Lord Peffly, I do believe I shall have you get me another glass."
He grinned broadly and bowed to each of his comrades in return.
"Ain't he the lucky one!"
"You go, you old rogue!"

When he handed her the glass, she smiled warmly at him.
"Thank you! You know, I honestly can't decide which of you is the most handsome!"

The young man with red hair extended her hand out to her.
"Miss Wolfe, would you care to dance?"
"Hey, I was going to ask her."
"No, you weren't. I was."
"I'm next."
"Then me."
"Me too."

Lord Peffly stood there with a wolfish smile on his face.
"No matter, lads. Have your dance. Just as long as Miss Wolfe saves the last dance for me."

Captain Jack Wolfe

Phillip wandered over to the verandah doors that Will had opened into the terrace. The breeze was a welcome relief from the stuffy ballroom air, and the full moon shone down, making shadows on the lawn.
A voice behind him said, "Pardon me. I couldn't help but notice that you dropped this."
The woman held out a handkerchief.
"Hmm? Oh. I am sorry, but that is not mine."
He tugged at the cuff of his new shirt. "Oh...I guess it is mine. I am not used to shirts like this. Plain silk is more my style."
"A beautiful night, isn't it? But sometimes I find the indoors a bit too stuffy for me."
"I know what you mean. I am more at home on the ocean."
She gave him a puzzled look. "Oh. You are not newly arrived gentry?"
He smiled and gave her a bow.
"No. Captain Phillip Briggs from Barbados, formerly England, at your service."
She extended her hand to him. "Julia Peffley. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
"Peffley? I think I just met a Peffley. Relative of yours?"

She looked over to where Zara was standing. "My brother. He is the one standing behind the little vixen with the gaggle of young men around her."
"Vixen? You've met her then?"
"Oh heavens, no. I can see she doesn't have the social graces that we expect here in Virginia."
Phillip crossed his arms and leaned on a porch column.  "Really! I am fascinated.What, pray tell, is she doing wrong?"
"Well, for one her dress is too low on her shoulders for someone her age. Her face paint is so subdued one would almost mistake it for not wearing any at all."
"Maybe she is a natural beauty."
"No one looks like that unless they have a bit of help along the way. The hue of the dress is a bit too bright and unusual. Girls of that age do best with pink or blue. You cannot go wrong with white either."
"You don't say!"
"And she has no fan."
"What would that do? Maybe she isn't warm."
Julia laughed and touched Phillip's arm gently.
"There is a whole language of fans. It is an unspoken language, but obviously, she doesn't need one. She seems bold enough."
Phillip tried to laugh as this Julia seems to have Zara pegged pretty well.

"You have a knack for reading people," said Phillip. "I suppose you've been reading me as well?"
"I could lie and say no," replied Julia. "But I will admit, you caught my eye the moment you walked into the ballroom. You are an intriguing man, Captain Phillip Briggs."
"Intriguing? Me? I should hardly think so. I'm naught but a humble ship's captain."
"False modesty. It makes for a flimsy mask to hide behind. Why would you feel the need to hide at all? Or are you just hiding from me?"
"Miss Peffley, I —"
"You are a man with complex past. A leader of men, but not naturally. Trial has shaped you. The creases at the corner of your eyes aren't only from squinting into the sunlight."
She traced a slender finger along the side of his face, then across his lips.
"They're from facing down hardship. You present the air of a carefree man, though you are anything but. Who are you, Phillip Briggs?"
Phillip closed his hands around hers. "As I said, I am a simple sea captain, nothing more. It's been lovely talking with you, Miss Peffley. But I must take my leave now."
"So soon? The party is just getting started."
"Perhaps, but sadly, not for me. Good night, Miss Peffley."

Julia watched as Phillip left the veranda. "Good night, Captain Phillip Briggs," she whispered. "You and I... this isn't over yet."
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

Phillip knocked on Zara's door.
"Zara, we need to talk."
Through the door, she replied, "No, we don't. We have nothing to say."
"Zara, if you don't open this door, I will voice matters that I am sure you prefer the household--including Will--not hear."

A moment's hesitation and then the latch swung back. She opened the door and stood back, still wearing her ballgown.
"Hurry up," she said impatiently. "I want to get some sleep."
He stepped in and shut the door behind him.
"Are you through?"
"Through? Through with what?"
"Making your point."
"And that would be....what?"
"That you are an attractive woman."
"Attractive?"
"Pretty."
She raised her eyebrow.
"Beautiful."
"Damn right I am beautiful. Look who my mother is."

"Why are you doing this, Zara?"
"Doing what?"
"Trying to make me jealous."
"Is it working?"
"Not particularly. I had a very adult conversation with a very nice young woman."

She retorted, "I saw that display. You were hanging on every word of hers."
"And I saw you with your menagerie."
"Don't you mean entourage?"
"No, I mean menagerie. Some of those young pups are still wet behind the ears."
"I think a little youth might be nice for a change."
Phillip could feel his temper starting to rise but he willed himself to rein it in.
"I'm sure they are lacking in your...experience, shall we say?"
"What is THAT supposed to mean?"
"Let's just say their expertise is probably limited to scullery maids and women who follow that line of work. Surely you don't want to be equated with that."

Zara's cheeks were turning red.
"So maybe the next time you darken my door for unsavory purposes, you feel I should have an hourglass turned over? And keep spare shllings in my dresser? Is that what you are saying?"
"Zara, I didn't mean---"
"Get out. GET OUT!"
"Aliright. I'll see you in the morning when we have both cooled off."
I don't see that happening anytime soon."

She walked over to the door and opened it.
He gave her a tip of his hat.
The reverberation from the door slamming sent the dining room chandelier swaying.
Through the door was shouted, "I'M TELLING MY FATHER WHAT YOU DID!"
He shouted back, "GO RIGHT AHEAD! I DARE YOU!"

The door opened and then slammed even harder.
This time three candles fell of the chandelier.
Will and Darcy looked each other mirthfully.
"And so it continues....."

Welsh Wench

Will was sitting at the breakfast table, a cup of coffee and the remnants of bacon and eggs sitting on his plate. He looked up as he heard footsteps.
"Ah, Phillip! You look none the worse for wear from last night's soiree. I trust you had a good time?"

He poured himself a cup of coffee from the urn.
"I did, indeed. Miss Peffly was delightful company."
"Do you intend to see her again?"

As he opened his mouth to reply, Zara entered the room.
"Good morning, Uncle Will," she said as she kissed him on the cheek.
"And the same to you, my dear."

To Phillip she gave a cool nod of acknowledgement.

Will sat back and leaned his arm on the back of his chair.
"Zara....what is this?"
She reached for a scone.
"What is....what?"
He waved his hand up and down her.

"This....outfit."
"Oh. This."

Zara was wearing a silk blouse with flowing sleeves, unbuttoned lower than it was intended for. Her breeches were exceedingly snug. The frock coat she wore was flared to show off her best assets.
And on her face was an abundance of cheek and lip colour. Her hair was tousled and curled around her face.
On her feet were a pair of knee boots and she had a riding crop tucked into her boots.

Will dabbed his lips with a napkin. Phillip sat there, not quite knowing what to do but decided to let Will handle it, in lieu of what went down last night between the two of them. He knew anything he said would be in vain.

Will placed the napkin down. "My dear, where are you going, dressed as such?"
"Oh. I am sorry. I am remiss of informing you of my plans. Lord Andrew Peffly has invited me to go riding with him this morning. A nice leisurely ride through the woods. You don't mind if I take the mare, do you? We got along so well the last time I was on her. The day is beautiful and he was eager to show me a field where there are morning glories and a waterfall."

She looked over at Phillip with a beguiling smile on her face.
"I do so want to see so much more of the countryside. Lord Peffly--Andrew--said we might take the horses for a ride on the beach. Not like I haven't ridden on the beach before. But this will be different."

She reached over and took an apple out of the basket of fruit on the table.
"Zara, my dear, do you think it is proper to go off alone with a young gentleman you had only met the night before?" Will asked.

She waved her hand. "How else will I get to know anyone unless I spend time with them? For goodness sake, Uncle Will, I am not a child."
"But there is your reputation to think of,"
"Reputation? I didn't think I have been here long enough to garner one."

Phillip looked over at Will, slightly perturbed at the look on Will's face. Will had never stood on formality and social mores before."
"Perhaps you should take Phillip with you."
"Oh, I wouldn't want to take Phillip away from any pressing business he might have."

Phillip responded cooly, "Please don't refer to me in the third person when I am here in the first. No, I have no intention of intruding on your little jaunt, Miss Wolfe. Enjoy your day. Perhaps you would like to take your pastels and you and Mr Piffle--"
"PEFFLY!" Zara shouted.
"Excuse me. Piffly. Perhaps you would like to take them and draw a picture of what you see today. We can always tack it up by the cupboard and---"
"That's enough! Uncle Will, don't worry. I will be home by dinnertime."

She took her half-eaten apple and aimed for Phillip's head, which he caught with one hand.
Picking up her riding crop, she flounced out of the room.

Phillip just sighed. "Now you have an idea of what some of the trip was like. Between her drama and betting the ownership to El Lobo...."
His voice trailed off as he said, "Well.....you don't need to know about that, do you?"

Welsh Wench

Zara walked down to the stables. As she reached the end of the walkway, Lord Andrew Peffly cane riding up on a beautiful steed of ebony.
"My, what a beautiful horse!' she exclaimed as she reached up to pet his mane. Lord Peffly dismounted and walked over to Zara's side, looking her up and down.
"I must say you look quite beautiful. And quite different from last night." He reached over and gently touched her curls.
"You wear tousled curls well, my sweetness."
Zara gave him a dimpled smile.
"Why, thank you!'

The groom led the horse out of the stables.
"Here ye are, Miss. Shall I help you mount?"
Andrew brushed him aside.
"I'll help Miss Wolfe, if you don't mind."

The groom tipped his cap and went back to his chores.
Andrew took Zara's hand in his and led her to the horse.
"Miss Wolfe, your steed is ready."
He cupped his hand and she placed a boot in it as he boosted her up.
Zara was perfectly capable of mounting herself but why not avail yourself of the opportunity? It felt nice to have a man's arm around her waist.
Andrew looked quizzically.
"Are you not going to ride side saddle?"
She tossed her head, "Of course not. Side saddle is not comfortable. I much prefer to ride astride."
With that she turned her horse around and looked over her shoulder.
"Let's get going, shall we? The day looks beautiful and I would hate to waste another moment of it."
She gently tapped the mare's flanks and both trotted out of the yard towards the road.

Lord Peffly looked at the gentle sway of both females and grinned to himself. 'Oh, yes. Why wasted time?'

Captain Jack Wolfe

Phillip found himself doing a slow burn as he watched Zara and Peffly ride off down the lane. He knew this was a continuation of Zara's campaign to try and make him jealous. But it was not her actions that were getting under his skin, at least not directly. No, what bothered him the most was the way Peffly looked at her. Phillip had seen the same look in men's eyes, usually at the start of shore leave after a long time at sea. He did not want to readily admit it, but a warning bell was starting to ring in his head.

He left his place at the dining room window and hurried off to his room, where he changed into clothes better suited for something more rugged than strolling about a manor house. Hurriedly, he pulled on his boots and picked up the hat he normally wore aboard ship, then thought better of it and tossed it on to the bed. He had barely started down the stairs when Will's voice broke his train of thought.

"Ah, Phillip! I thought it would be a good time to go over the manifest for your return trip to Barbados and to place the order for more molasses. My, but these Puritans do enjoy their rum. Are you going somewhere?"
"Yes, well, it's such a lovely day, I thought I might take a walk around the grounds. It's not often I get to spend time, um, under...trees. You understand, of course."
Will stifled a smile. "Yes, yes, of course. And there are so many of them on the property, it would be a shame for you to miss out on seeing them all."
"I shouldn't be too long at it," said Phillip. "We can go over the papers later this afternoon if that is all right with you."
"That will be fine. See you later on, then. Enjoy the foliage."
"Thank you," replied Phillip as he hurried down the stairs. Will noticed how the young man paused as if to get his bearings.

"Phillip?" he called down.
Phillip turned back to look at him.
"The stables are that way, in case you were wondering."
"Thanks again," said Phillip sheepishly, feeling the heat in his cheek grow by the moment.

Welsh Wench

Phillip led the roan horse out of the stall. As he entered the courtyard and was about to mount the horse, he heard a soft voice behind him.
Walking down the path and leading a pretty white horse, Julia Peffly came towards him with a basket on her arm. She had a straw hat on with a few feathers that caressed her cheek. Her dress was of light silk, a pale blue that accentuated her eyes.

"Good morning, Captain Briggs!"
He bowed. "Miss Peffly. To what do I owe this...unexpected pleasure?"
She squinted up to the sun and then smiled at him.
"It is such a lovely day and I don't think it should be wasted on the stuffiness of a parlor room. Captain Harkness was good enough to point me in the direction in which I should go if I  wanted to meet up with you."
"I was just about to go for a ride."
"Marvelous! If you don't mind, I would love to keep you company. Perhaps show you a few of the more intriguing flora and fauna of the forest."
She pulled the cloth back from the basket.
"I have some food that our cook prepared. Some cheesy biscuits, fresh apples and some cold meats. And chicken basted and fried."
Julia reached into her basket.
"Also a couple bottles of Madeira wine that Captain Harkness was so good to give me.  He said it would do you good to get out in the fresh air. Clear you head, he said."
"He did, did he?"
Phillip glanced down the path that Andrew and Zara had taken. The longer he tarried in the courtyard with Julia Peffly, the more distance was between them and him.
He knew there was nothing he could do short of rudeness.

"Miss Peffly, I would be delighted to have you accompany me for a morning ride."
He took her basket and set it on the ground.
"May I?"
"Why, certainly!"
He boosted her up into the saddle and noted that she was riding side saddle. Zara would never be caught dead riding that way. But then, there were a lot of unconventional things about the unstoppable Miss Wolfe.

As they rode for about forty-five minutes, two voices could be heard heard through the pines. Zara's light laughter rang out.
"..and you should have seen the look on Sir Ashford's face when--"
"Well! Fancy meeting you out here! Andrew, I had no idea you would be riding with Miss....I am sorry, I don't think we have been formally introduced."
Zara shot Phillip an irritated look as she turned to Julia and sweetly said, "Miss Wolfe. Zara Wolfe. Newly arrived from Bridgetown."
Julia knitted her brows. "Bridgetown...Bridgetown...is that in Rhode Island?"
Phillip quipped, "Or as it is commonly known, Rogue's Island?"

Zara drew herself up and replied, "Not at all. It is the center of commerce for Barbados. My father is a sugar baron. We regularly make shipments of molasses to Captain Harkness."
" 'We?' " Phillip asked.
Zara tried to fight her tendency towards biting sarcasm but put on her most hospitable look.
"Oh, Mister Briggs. You know what I mean."
She turned to Andrew. "My father owns 3000 acres on the island. He is also breeding a new line of horses with my Uncle Daffyd. They are light but sure-footed to move quickly on sandy soil. We frequently ride on the beaches."
Andrew looked at Julia with veiled annoyance.
"What are you doing out here, sister dear?"

Julia gave him a warm smile. "Captain Briggs—or may I call you Phillip?--needs someone to show him the area so I volunteered myself for that position."
Zara raised an eyebrow to Phillip. "What position might that be, Mister Briggs?"
"One that should prove to be immensely rewarding, Miss Wolfe."

Julia patted her horse. "Where are you heading, Andrew?"
"I WAS going to show Miss Wolfe the old mill house by the waterfall."
"That old place? I have a better idea. I have in this basket a nice picnic luncheon. Matilda—she is our cook—always tends to overpack the basket with food. I have enough for four people—oh, and Andrew, I see you brought a blanket! That will do wonderfully to spread out on the ground."
Andrew said darkly, "That was the general idea."

Julia set her basket down.  "Oh, this will be so much fun! " She handed Phillip one of the bottles of Madeira and smiled warmly at him.
"Would you mind opening this?"
"Not at all, Miss Peffly."
She held up a finger. "On one condition though. That you call me Julia. Miss Peffly sounds so stuffy."
Zara made a face and mouthed Julia's words in mimicry. Phillip gave her a reproving look.
She turned to give Andrew a smile.
"Andrew and I left the formalities a while ago."

Andrew gently ran his finger up and down Zara's arm.
"Yes, life is too short to waste on conventionality.  I was going to show Zara the swimming hole where my friends and I used to swim."

Julia raised her eyebrow. "Really, Andrew? I can't imagine it being any fun without your mates."
To Phillip, she said, "Andrew and his friends used to come here all the time to swim. There is an old rope hanging from the old oak tree over the water that they used to swing and drop from."

She turned back to Andrew. "But you are wearing your good clothes so I am sure you didn't intend to swim. And Miss Wolfe--sorry-Zara--doesn't want to get her velvet breeches wet."
Phillip leaned against the tree. "Oh, I am sure Miss Wolfe would be very careful about what she does with her breeches. I am sure she would rather go without than get them ruined with pond water."

Zara opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off by Julia's abrupt laughter.

"Why, Phillip! How absurd!" said Julia as she fanned herself. "I'm sure that, even in the wilds of Barbados, there exists some sense of propriety. Wouldn't you agree, Zara?"
Zara's eyes narrowed as she looked at Phillip. "I supposed it hinges on how badly I feel like swimming that day."
"Well, even so, during the long crossing from there to our lovely Virginia colony, you must have had ample opportunity to swim."

"Have you ever tried swimming after a ship that is under way?" said Zara. "I wouldn't recommend it. And I have to wonder, when was the last time you visited Barbados?"
"Never," said Julia. "Why do you ask?"
"You spoke of the wilds of Barbados, despite it being the most British of the British colonies in the Caribbean. One could only make such a statement if one has been to place in question. Wouldn't you agree, Andrew?"
Andrew cocked his head like someone coming out of a dream. "I'm sorry. What?"
Phillip rolled his eyes and gave a pained expression.

"I am terribly sorry if I gave offence, Zara," said Julia. "What news we get of the goings on in the Caribbean paints a very, shall we say, rough and tumble portrait. Pirates and wild Indians and the like."
Zara clenched her fists. "And what if I were to tell you that my--"
"That her favourite place to swim is a beach with crystal clear water that is bluer than any sky you've ever seen," interrupted Phillip. "Of course, that could be said of any beach on nearly any Caribbean island."

Julia smiled, "I am sure it is very beautiful in a primitive sort of way. Society here in Virginia is so..."
"Prim and proper? How utterly...lacking in the spices of life. My father happens to own 3000 acres of waterfront property. He raises sugar cane to supply the molasses 'Virginia society' seems so fond of. My father and my uncle are breeding a new strain of horses that will be fit for speed on sand. We have our own vineyards to make wine and distill spirits that are now being sold in the most prestigious houses in England."
Julia stiffened under the chastisement.
"I stand corrected, Miss Wolfe. Shall we eat?"

Welsh Wench

Julia unpacked the basket. There was a tangible tenseness in the air between the two women.
"Miss Wolfe, may I interest you in some of this fine battered chicken? I am sure it is different from the 'fruits de mar' that you must eat in Barbados. It won't cling to the plate when you pick it up. Chicken, Phillip?"

Zara stood up. "Miss Peffly, you must be extremely sheltered. I am not some uneducated yokel. I may be young in years but I have experiences you can only dream about. Have you ever bested a man for trying to take advantage of you? Gambled in a tavern in Tortuga and won (put figure in) acres of prime land? Stared down the pistol of a Spanish don and came out the winner? Have you ever made love and broke the bed? Have you EVER...?"

Phillip said sternly, "Enough, Zara. Let's all get along."
Zara stood up and threw a piece of chicken at Phillip.,
"Here's a breast for you to enjoy, Phillip."

Zara walked resolutely back to her horse. Andrew scrambled to his feet and said, "A woman this interesting I just HAVE to get to know better!"
Julia sat on the ground, completely flabbergasted by what had just transpired.
"Phillip, what was that?"
"That, dear Julia, was a temper tantrum."
"I insulted her?"
"Given the reaction, perhaps."
Julia shook her head. "I mean no slight. I— I was born here, in the Virginia colony. For me, this is the centre of everything. I don't know what it's like out there. Zara, with everything she said... she makes me feel like I've never truly been alive."
"I wouldn't go that far," said Phillip.
"Wouldn't you?" countered Julia. "Your eyes tell me you've seen a lifetime of experience though you're still a young man. Don't coddle me with your words, Phillip. I am but an ignorant babe amidst seasoned adventurers."

"And just where did you acquire such insight into the minds of men?" said Phillip.
"It is the nature of colonies such as this," she said quietly. "An imbalance of genders is inevitable. And being the daughter of one of the most prominent men in the colony..."
"That makes you a target of high value."
"My goodness, Captain Briggs. That is a bit forward of you."
"My apologies, Miss Peffley. When did we fall back to formalities?"
"When you caught me off guard."
Phillip sat down beside her. "And you feel a need to keep your guard up when you're near me?"

Julia's cheeks flushed. "As a matter of fact, yes. You are an enigma, Phillip Briggs. You intrigue me like no other man has, but..."
"But you know that one day, quite soon, when the tide is favourable and the wind stands fair, I'll be off, with my rudder to this good place."
"Precisely. And I believe there is so much more to you than you let on."
"Miss Peffley, I am but a humble ship's captain. Nothing more."
"We both know that's not quite true."
"Do we?" said Phillip. "And what secret am I keeping even from myself?"
"I don't know yet. Maybe," she narrowed her eyes in mock seriousness, "Maybe you were a pirate."
"A pirate?" he said with a surprised laugh. "Me? And what makes you say that?"
"Your devil-may-care attitude, the way your eyes always stray back toward the wharf where your ship lies, the unwavering confidence you exude..." She blushed again. "It's rather intoxicating."

"Well, now I know something of your reading habits," he said with a disarming smile.
"You do? Enlighten me."
"Penny-dreadfuls. Those pulp books that tell of the scoundrels and scallywags that plague the waves. The highwaymen of the high seas."
"I— I may have... glanced at one or two."
"And what if I told you that yes, I was once a pirate? That the Caribbean was my hunting ground and that 'no prey, no pay' was the one rule I lived by?"
Julia giggled. "I would say that you're having a joke at my expense. That you're teasing me and my runaway imagination."
"So you see, Miss Peffley, there really isn't that much to know about me," Phillip said with a shrug.

Julia leaned close and let her lips brush his. "I don't believe that for a moment. Tell me more."
Before Phillip could process what was happening, he found himself bound in a passionate kiss with Julia.

Phillip finally broke their embrace. "The rules of Virginia society are a bit... confusing," he said, trying to catch his breath. "Miss Peffley--"
"Surely after that kiss, we are past any formalities."
"Surely," he echoed. "But English propriety is something I find I cannot divorce myself from. I pray you'll forgive me, Julia. Perhaps we can meet again?"
Julia laughed. "I got you to quit calling me Miss Peffley. I'll call that a success. And I shall expect you to call on me tomorrow at half past Noon. I trust English clocks work on Virginian soil?"
"That they do," said Phillip. "Until tomorrow. I hope I can find something interesting for us to talk about."
Julia sprang up into her saddle. "If you don't, I will! Until tomorrow, Phillip Briggs!"

He watched as she rode away. An overwhelming feeling of confliction washed over him.
Phillip stepped into his saddle and sat quietly for a moment. He ran his fingers over his lips in an absentminded fashion, remembering Julia's kiss. Zara was content to ride off with Andrew. So why should he feel guilty about kissing Julia?
Why, indeed?

Zara galloped her horse into the stable courtyard. Gibson, the groom, looked up and grabbed his fellow stable groom just in time from getting trampled on.
"Whoa, there, Missy! Where's the demon that's chasing you? Is that him?"
He glared at Andrew.
Zara, her face flaming red, jumped off her horse and led the horse into the stall.
Stiffly, she said, "I am so very sorry, Master Gibson, if I gave you a fright. My apologies to you, too, Levi. The horse seemed to enjoy it, if it makes any difference."
Levi moved to take the reins.
"No, Levi, in my father's house, we are each responsible for grooming our own horses. My da always said, 'You ride it, you pamper it.' Our grooms see to the general welfare of our horses but we provide the tender loving care."

She led the horse to the stall and began taking the curry brushes out.
'I'm so sorry, sweetheart. I didn't mean to run you so hard." she said softly. The horse nuzzled her neck and she fought back the tears that filled her eyes.
'At least someone loves me,' she whispered to the horse.

Suddenly she felt a presence. She looked up and Andrew was leaning against the stall door frame, arms crossed over his chest.
"That was some ride. I couldn't keep up so I thought I would let you win."
She said cooly, "I didn't know we were racing."
"Well, not really, but all of a sudden you acted like the hounds of hell were after you. I knew I would find you here."
She continued to brush the horse.
"So...you found me."

"I want to apologize if Julia said anything that upset you."
"IF? IF she upset me? Oh, I am not the least bit upset. No, not me. Not at all."
"Then why are you brushing that horse so hard sparks are practically flying off her coat?"
Zara slowed down but refused to look at  Andrew.
"I just felt like the horse needed to let off some steam. She had been going at a slow pace. The horses that I am used to enjoy showing their spirits and ______is no exception."

Andrew took the curry brush out of Zara's hand and placed it on the shelf.
"Look at me."
She looked down and he put his hand under her chin, raising her face to look at him.
"Julia did not mean to hurt you. Our family came over here under a land grant thirty years ago. Julia sometimes thinks that she is the spokesperson for the elite Virginia society. But that is because that is all she knows."
"What of you, Andrew?"
He looked into her eyes and whispered, "I like to keep my options open."
He raised her face to his and gently kissed her lips.
"I'll come calling tomorrow, Miss Wolfe."
He tipped his hat.
"Good day."

Welsh Wench

"Miss  Zara? It's time for dinner. Are you coming down?" Dilcey said through the door.
The reply was inaudible.
"I'm sorry, Miss Zara. I didn't hear."
More inaudible replies.
"I still can't hear but I take that as a no."

Slowly the door opened. Zara's eyes were red-rimmed and her face was flushed.
"I'm sorry, Dilcey. I'm not very hungry. I'll just go to bed. I don't feel very well."
Zara went to close the door but Dilcey gently pushed it open and entered.
"At least let me open the windows. I know fresh air always helps me when I don't feel well. Something about the scent of pine in the air and the smell of a river breeze is balm to the soul."
She opened the drapes and the windows.
"There! That is much better."
Zara sat on the edge of the bed and looked down at the floor.
"Thank you, Dilcey. I appreciate it," she said softly.

Dilcey sat on the edge of the bed.
"You are homesick, aren't you?"
Zara nodded wordlessly.
"You are missing your family. Your mama, especially."
"How did you know?"
"I've heard what a close family you have and the amazing man your father is."
"Uncle Will told you."
Dilcey shook her head.
"No, I heard it from Josiah Briggs."
"You met Uncle Josie?"
Dilcey nodded.
"A few times that Captain Briggs brought up a shipment, he stayed at this house. In fact, he stayed in the room his son has now. Oh, the stories that Will Harkness and Josiah Briggs would tell! Especially when the rum got flowing."

Zara wiped a tear from her eye.
"I could tell Mama just about anything. She always listened. I wish I could talk to her now. Ask her advice."

Dilcey reached over and patted Zara's hand.
"I know I am no substitute for your mother. But if you ever want advice or a shoulder to cry on, I am there for you. I won't pry and I won't judge. But I can be an impartial sounding board. If you ever want to talk—woman-to woman—I will be here for you. Does that sound like a deal?"
Zara managed a small smile,
"I'd like that."
"Would you like me to send up a tray for you?
"That would be wonderful. That way I won't have to see---"
Dilcey paused at the door.
"---Anyone?"
Zara nodded.
"Some times we just need some time to sort things out. Things always look better after a good night's sleep. I'll be back in a few minutes."
Dilcey put some fresh meats on a slice of bread and a few pieces of fruit and cheeses. She poured hot tea in a pot and loaded them up on a tray.
She looked up to find Will standing in the doorway, leaning on the post.
"Well?"
"Well...what?"
"Is the lovely Miss Wolfe joining us for dinner?"
Dilcey shook her head.
"I am afraid not. The lass has a case of homesickness."
"Homesickness? Or lovesick?"
She shook her head.
"Not this time. She's missing her mother. I understand they are very close."
Will smiled. "The lovely Mrs Jack Wolfe is a remarkable woman. Beautiful and witty. And quite the woman to hold the interest of Mad Jack Wolfe for so long."
Dilcey smiled to herself.
"Why, Captain Harkness, one would think you had designs on her."
He ran his hand absentmindedly down the door post.
"Oh...I did. She was dealing cards in a tavern I owned. The Varlet and Vixen.  But Jack Wolfe swept her off her feet before I could get to her. It's been a good match."

He looked at the tray. "Any word about our clandestine lovers?"
Dilcey shook her head. "Not a word."
"Well, Phillip came home in a pensive mood. Only answered with one word answers. I wonder what is going on?"
"I haven't the foggiest."
"If I know you, you will gain her confidence. You WILL keep me informed, won't you, my dear?"
She nodded.
"I will see you later for dessert and wine in the library, my love."
She gave him a kiss on the cheek.
"You can count on it."

As she took the tray up the stairs, she said to herself, 'I'll tell you only what I WANT you to know, Will, my love. But women keep each other's secrets.'

Dilcey knocked quietly on the door and then pushed it gently open. Zara had changed into a night chemise and robe, her hair brushed out.
She took the tray from Dilcey with a grateful look on her face.
"Thank you, Dilcey. I just feel like having some alone time. Uncle Will's house is always filled with people. Is it like this most times?"
She nodded. "Captain Harkness does quite a bit of entertaining. Mostly for business but he does like his social whirl. The soiree he had the other night was mainly to introduce you and Phillip to Virginia society. Did you have a good time?"
Zara picked up a piece of cheese and popped it in her mouth.
"Yes, I did. The local gentlemen were very charming."
"I daresay they found you charming too."

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Betsy, the junior maid, was standing there with an envelope.
"Miss Dilcey, this message was left with Gerard. It is for Miss Zara."
Dilcey took it and handed the envelope to Zara.
"What's this?"
"It's a calling card. When someone wants to pay a visit, they hand a card over. If the person wants to see them, they send word downstairs. If not, they become 'indisposed.'
Zara's made a face. "I'll bet it is that snooty Julia Peffly. But she doesn't want to see me. She wants to use me as an excuse to come sniffing around Phillip. And you can be sure I will be 'iindisposed'."
She used the letter opener in the desk drawer and slit it open.
She felt her face flush.

"So....does she want to meet for tea and crumpets?"
"It's not from her. It's from.....her brother."
"Oh, dear."
Her eyes skimmed over the note.
"It's very formal. And kind of sweet."
"Well, don't keep me in suspense. What does it say?"
Zara began to read,

'My dear Miss Wolfe,

I would very much like to request the honour of your presence at the home of my parents for tea tomorrow at 4::00 pm. I will come callling for you in our carriage. My parents are most anxious to make your acquaintance.
Please leave a reply with our coachman who will be waiting. I so look forward to showing you around the Peffly estate.

Sincerely,

Lord Andrew Peffly

Zara folded the note. "I can't do this. I'll tender my regrets.'
She looked around the desk for a quill.
"There seems to be none here. I'll go down the back way to the study and hand it to the coachman. I presume he will be in the kitchen with the cook?"
"Sharing an ale and a bit of gossip, for sure."
"I'll be right back."

Zara slipped down the back stairs. As she passed the dining room, she heard Phillip and Will talking.
"Julia Peffly is a most charming young woman, Phillip."
Phillip replied, "Yes, she is. Very cultured and intellectual. She wants to meet for riding tomorrow and I----"
Zara squared her shoulders and walked into the study.

Dear Lord Peffly,

It would be a pleasure and an honour to join you and your parents for tea tomorrow. I shall be ready. Four o'clock would be perfect and I look forward to seeing you then.

Sincerely,

Miss Zara Wolfe

Zara took a piece of wax and melted it over the candle. Resolutely she dripped it over the envelope seal and then pressed the stamp of a raven into it.

She blew on it to cool it and as she suspected, she found the coachman in the kitchen laughing and flirting with the cook.
"Hello there."
The coachman smiled and tipped his hat.
"I presume you have a reply."
She pressed the envelope in his hand before she could change her mind.
"Please see that Lord Peffly gets this. Thank you very much."

She ran up the back stairs.
Dilcey was drawing back the bed for Zara.
"You know, Lord Peffly is the catch of the county but I am sure your regrets--"
"No regrets, Dilcey. I intend to see where this is headed."
"But---"
"But...what?"
"Nothing. I thought you might have other interests, that's all."
"That other interest seems to have his head in the clouds or up his---"
"Just be careful, Miss Zara. Sometimes the gentlemen around here don't have a lass's best interests at heart."
"I'll be careful."
"I just hope you know what you are doing."
She lit the candle. "I hope I do too, Dilcey."

Welsh Wench

Zara surveyed the pile of dresses she laid out on the bed.
'What to wear....what to wear....'
She held up a pink dress. No, too innocent. The black dress? No...too sophisticated for an afternoon tea. White? Heavens no!  I don't want Andrew to think I have any bridal ideas! She pulled out a lilac dress from underneath the pile and held it up to herself, looking in a full length mirror.
'Yes, this seems about right! The bodice was fitted and it was trimmed with a delicate white lace. The bodice lacings were white to match. She looked under the bed and pulled out a pair of white kidskin boots. Perfect!
A knock on the door.
"Miss Zara?"
"Come in, Dilcey. It's open."
Dilcey opened the door and looked at the dress Zara was pulling over her head.
"Let me help you."
She tugged the dress over Zara's head. "My, that is a beautiful dress."
Zara bent over and adjusted her assets into the bodice. "Isn't it though? When Da saw the dress, he wasn't too thrilled but Mama stepped in and said it was just perfect. She told Da that if he had his way, I would be in burlap with a drawstring at the neck and one at the knees. 'My daughter is not a sack of grain, Jack.' she said. He mumbled something about growing up too fast but Mama just shook her head and laughed."
"Let me help you lace it."
"I'll hold on to the bedpost."
"Miss Zara, I am not going to plant my foot on your hindquarters and pull on the lacings like you were some racehorse."
"But Dilcey..."
"This is Virginia society here. A lady does not show her bosom before nine o'clock."
"I think Virginia society needs to loosen up."
Dilcey tied the lacings in the back.
"There! Now you look presentable to have tea with the stuffy Lord and Lady Peffly."
Zara twirled and looked into the mirror.
"I think this parasol would set the ensemble nicely. And oh, my hat! "
She put her hat on and frowned. "No, too....piratey."
Zara reached for her hair brush and drew it through her hair. She gathered it at the nape of her neck and bound it up. A few tendrils escaped around her face as she wove a lilac ribbon through her hair.
Dilcey surveyed her. "You look perfect. Pretty as a picture like the first day I saw you. But then, your eyes showed you were in..."
"In what?"
Dilcey quickly replied "In a new place ready for new adventures. There is something about you, Miss Zara, that is quite infectious. Any man that would willingly ignore that is a fool"
Zara caught Dilcey's eyes in the mirror.
"Yes. I think he would be. Some men just don't see what is in front of them." she said softly.
"I think I hear a carriage out front. I will have Lord Andrew wait in the parlour. It does a man good to keep them waiting a few minutes. But just a few. Otherwise you will get a reputation for tardiness."
"Thank you, Dilcey. I will be down in ten minutes."
Zara looked in the mirror and then leaned over to almost touch her knees. She adjusted a few things, stuffing and fluffing.
'There! After all, it's nine o'clock...somewhere.'
She gathered up her shawl and wrapped it around her shoulders, careful to cover up her adjustments. As she entered the parlour, Andrew stood up and crossed over to her, taking her hands in his.
"I must say, Miss Zara, that you are a lovely vision."
She glanced at the dining room but saw no sign of Phillip or Will.
"I am certainly looking forward to meeting your parents, Andrew. I hope I won't appear to be an uncouth yokel like I may have been described."
"Certainly not! Virginia society can learn a lot from you."
He held out his arm."Shall we go?"

Welsh Wench

Zara looked up at the stately manor that was built of grey stones. Ivy was growing up the sides and the house was surrounded by bushes of red and white roses.
"Oh, my, Andrew! What a beautiful home!"
Andrew held his hand out and she put her hand in his as she alighted from the carriage. He tucked her hand under his arm.
"It was built by my grandfather Lord Stanford Peffly, He received a land grant from King  James."

Zara quickly glanced in the reflective window and saw that everything was in place. The dress bodice dipped down ever so carefully to capture a young man's attention but not so low as to brand herself a harlot in the eyes of his parents.

"Mother...Father...I would like to introduce Miss Zara Wolfe to you. She is visiting Captain Harkness from down south. An old family friend."

Zara noticed he did not mention the fact she came from Barbados. 'They probably carried the same notion of the wilderness about the Caribbean as did his snooty sister,' she thought.

Lord Peffly extended his hand and Lady Peffly briefly kissed Zara on the cheek in a perfunctory greeting.
"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Wolfe. And how are you finding Virginia?"
"It is quite different from where I live."
Andrew interrupted with, "Miss Zara is used to a warmer climate. Sea breezes down south and plantations."
"How lovely, dear. Oh...and here is Julia and her friend!"

Zara and Phillip looked at each other and simultaneously blurted out, "YOU!"

At the same time Zara and Phillip expressed their surprise at seeing each other, Phillip and Julia were engaged in a terse, non-verbal exchange of annoyance with one another and their choice of companionship that afternoon.
Lord Peffly gave a hearty chuckle. "Phillip, Julia, it would seem your friends know one another."
"You might say we arrived in Virginia on the same day," said Phillip, making sure to head off anything awkward Zara might have had in mind to say. "And might I say that you look lovely today, Miss Zara."
"Yes, I do," she replied with a curt smile. "Thank you for noticing."

Julia smiled sweetly and said, "Would you please excuse us for a minute? Andrew, would you help me get the tea cakes out of the kitchen?"
"Betsy does that."
She took his arm and dug her nails into his forearm.
"Ow!"
She marched him into the scullery pantry.
"What the HELL do you think you are doinog?"
"Julia Peffly, don't you take that tone with me."
"I'll take any tone I damn well please!"
He crossed his arms and said, "The proper Captain Briggs will get the wrong impression, using salty language like that."
"Why did you bring that...that..that CHILD here?"
"For your information, that 'CHILD' is all of seventeen and the impression I picked up on is that she's not exactly living the life of a novitiate."
"For God's sake, Andrew, she's under Captain Will Harkness' roof and therefore under his protection. From what I have gathered, her father is in business with him. And there is a reason she calls him 'Uncle.' Whether he is or it is a term of endearment, you are treading on dangerous grounds, Andrew. Don't you remember what happened two summers ago?"
"That gentleman had it coming to him. And the end result was he was just humiliated. It could have been a lot worse. And I may ask YOU a question."
"What?"
"What are you doing bringing Captain Prigg here."
"Briggs!" she yelled.
"Could have fooled me."
"Scoundrel!"
"Social climber!"

Julia grabbed the tray of tea cakes, a few of them flying off the tray.
"Pepper!" Andrew yelled.

A large dog came galloping in.
"It's all yours, Pepper. Shall we go and be the very scion of Virginia society?"
Andrew held the door open.
"Ooof!' he huffed as Julia elbowed  him in the gut.

She smiled sweetly as she set the tray of tea cakes down.
Andrew followed holding his stomach.

Seizing the opportunity as Julia took her brother aside, Phillip leaned into Zara.
"Just what do you think you're doing?" he demanded.
"Whatever do you mean, Captain Briggs?" she said laconically.
"You know damned well what I'm talking about. You, playing this dandy just to aggravate me."
"Is that why you're playing this trollop? To aggravate me?"
"Julia is no trollop."
"Just as Andrew is no dandy. Honestly, Phillip. If you're that certain you cannot compete, you should consider dropping out of the game. Now, if you'll excuse me, I believe Andrew requires my attention."

Welsh Wench

Julia set the tray of tea cakes and small sandwiches with the crust cut off down on the butler's table.
Lady Peffly poured the tea into tiny teacups. Zara frowned at the size but said nothing.
Phillip graciously accepted a cup.
"What sort of tea is this, Lady Peffly?" Phillip asked.
"Oh, this is imported tea. We paid dearly but only the best when it comes to tea."
Zara took a small sip.
"Really, this is...um...delightful."
Trying to find information on her parentage, Lady Peffly asked, "Are your parents partial to tea, Miss Wolfe?"
Phillip's head shot up. There was no way to predict how much Zara would divulge. She alway seemed proud of the fact that her parents were unorthodox and her father had a romantic although sketchy past.
He held his breath.
She replied, "Oh, no. My parents are quite fond of coffee. It is only available North Africa.The city of Mocha in Arabia established their coffee plantations on the mountains of Java. My da always made me study geography. I assume you know where Mocha is.
"My dear, it must be costly to import the coffee all the way from Arabia."
Phillip held his breath.
Zara continued, "My father is...in the export-import business. So he has the ways and means to obtain it. My father always puts a splash of rum in it but my mother doesn't. It seems she is always in the family way."
"You must have a very colourful life on Barbados."
"Oh, we do. Of course, I don't know who my father hates the most--Dutch or Spanish. The Dutch were the first to exploit the desire of the colonists who longed for a means to exhibit their new gentility. I know the English East India Company supplies tidewater Virginia planters with slaves."
Phillip hastened to remark, "Miss Wolfe's family does own slaves."
"Yes, Captain Briggs, but you know how humanely we treat ours. My mother would not hear of the slaves being separated from their family. And they are treated more like indentured servants. My mother made sure each slave has an account and at the end of five years, the slave could either be emancipated or continue working for wages on our sugar plantation. I daresay the rum and brandy on your liquor cabinet came from my family's distillery."
Zara walked over to the cabinet and looked closely.

"Oh, Captain Briggs, look here! A few bottles of MacGregor Scotch whiskey!"
"You are familiar with that label, Miss Wolfe?"
"Oh, but of course! MacGregor and Sons happen to be my father's cousins Rafferty and Flannery. My father holds a 15% share in it."
"Indeed!" The Pefflys were quite impressed with Zara's knowledge and the fact there seemed to be a great deal of wealth connected to her.

"The operation started out as a humble brewery making an especially potent heather beer. It was very popular locally, and it seemed a shame that few outside their shire had ever tasted it. Well, it was such a sensation that they were able to branch out into stronger spirits."
"Then this is where your father gained his fortune?" said Lady Peffly.
"Oh, heavens no," said Zara. "He accomplished that before I was born. I mentioned his distaste for the Dutch and Spanish--"
"Yes, but--" Phillip tried to interject.
"Ah, he was a privateer, then?" said Lord Peffly.
"Yes, exactly," said Phillip, a bit more forcefully than he had intended. "Yes, a privateer."
Zara shot Phillip a dismissive look.

"Ah, then your father served the Commonwealth," continued Lord Peffly. "Those were tempestuous times, indeed. Some might even say a better time."
"Father, please, no politics," said Julia. "You promised."
"Oh, Da absolutely detested Cromwell," said Zara. "I have no doubt he still does."
Phillip winced at her comment. Julia and Andrew exchanged wide-eyed glances of disbelief.
Lord Peffly sat up in his chair and cleared his throat. "And what of you, Miss Wolfe? What is your opinion of the Lord Protector?"
Zara smiled sweetly. "I wouldn't know. I never met him."

Lady Peffly broke the tension in the air with nervous laughter that was meant to sound amused at Zara's comment, but the others at the table took her cue and joined in.

Welsh Wench

Zara extended her hand.
"Thank you for a lovely afternoon, Lady Peffly—Lord Peffly. You have a beautiful home and the grounds are just wonderful."
Lady Sarah Peffly kissed Zara's cheek.
"Do come visit us soon, dear."
Phillip bowed and kissed Lady Sarah's hand.
"It was wonderful to meet you."
"Oh, Captain Briggs, the invitation is open to you anytime, dear. Do say you will make it soon."
Lord Peffly gave Phillip a hearty handshake and kissed Zara's hand.
"The pleasure was all ours."

Lady Sarah watched through the curtains as Phillip mounted his horse and rode down the drive. Andrew's carriage with Zara went the opposite way at the end of the lane.
"What nice young people. So energetic and full of life!"
Lord Peffly walked to the sideboard and poured himself a glass of MacGregor and Sons scotch whiskey. He took a deep drink.
"Damn fine spirits."
Lady Sarah raised an eyebrow. "Quite a lot of money to be made from spirits."
Lord Henry Peffly nodded. "And I daresay there is money there that isn't even mentioned."
"So...what do you think, Henry?"
"I think there is a possibility of a fine match. But aren't they nouveau riche?"
"From what I have heard from Helena Eldridge, who got it from her cook who got it from Commodore Harkness's cook, the young lady's mother is of a noble family from Wales. The Conaways.
"And her father?"
"I understand her grandfather was a shipbuilder from Dorset. The business was lost when he died. The son—Zara's father—took to the sea and nothing was heard from him for the longest time."
"I heard there was a pirate with the same last name—Wolfe--what was it? Oh, yes. Jack Wolfe. Quite a legend. He was known as Mad Jack Wolfe."
"Oh, my! Insanity?"
"No, my dear, 'mad' for his daredevil schemes. I seem to recall some talk about this pirate Wolfe making off with the East India Company's entire bankroll."
"Oh, but it can't be the same one, can it?"
Lord Henry shook his head. "I doubt it. I think this Mad Jack Wolfe was killed in a boarding action years ago. I think it took place over twenty years ago so this couldn't be her father."
"Thank goodness, Henry!"
"No, Miss Wolfe's father is a distiller and a sugar baron in Barbados."
Lady Sarah fanned herself.
"Thank goodness! Can you imagine if it were true? A pirate? Consorting with people like us? She is a beauty, though. And lively. "
"Lively enough to keep up with our son?"
"Henry, it would be a good match. It could tame Andrew of his wild ways."
"Do you think she could keep up with him?"
"Have you ever seen anyone who could? She would probably hold his interest for a year or two. There will be babies to occupy her time and keep her attention focused on them. Maybe this will get his wayward ways out of his system."
"If not, she probably will be too busy to care what he does. He can go back to his strumpets but this time he will be discreet. It probably won't keep him out of the gambling halls though."
Lady Sarah tapped her chin thoughtfully. "I haven't seen Andrew so attentive to a young lady since Barbara Braxton."
"Barbara Braxton. Now that is a name I have not heard mentioned in a while."
"She went off to visit her aunt in Boston for a few months. Quite suddenly, I might add. Oh, well, young people today are so impetuous"
"Huh."
"Well, Miss Wolfe is certainly a beauty. She has money, noble blood and she is smart too."
"Are you thinking what I am thinking?"
Lord Henry Peffly poured a glass of scotch for his wife and another one for himself. He touched her glass with hers.
"Sarah? I do believe we have found a match!"