News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Heat Wave Coming For July 16 & 17

Started by Lady De Rue Rue, July 11, 2011, 02:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady De Rue Rue

What a great opening weekend at Bristol!  Just to let everyone know there is a heat wave that will be hitting Bristol this coming Saturday and Sunday with heat index going to 105.

Please re-read all the information on heat stroke posted in the form.  I saw two patrons pass out right in front of me on Saturday and it scared the living daylights out me.  They were lucky enough to be close to the medical area to get help ASAP.

Keep an eye out for others that may look like they are showing signs of heat stroke as Lord Clisto of York pointed out in the previous post.

Can't wait for another great weekend at Bristol.

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Heat stroke can happen with temperatures way below 105° as well, especially with the kinds of clothing so prevalent at faires. A simple test that may indicate that you are dehydrating is to use the thumb and forefinger from one hand to pinch together the skin on the web of your other hand. Your skin should recover shape quickly. If it's slow to recover its shape, you are very likely in need of hydration.

Be very aware that heat stroke can be fatal. Take care of yourselves!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Staying hydrated at all times, having a parasol to block the sun,  making sure you eat somehthing light and often, a fan, and taking your time gadding about the grounds will work wonders. Dress for the weather by all means.

I have seen people in tank tops and shorts be the ones who drop from the heat because there is nothing to keep the sweat on them, which keeps the body cooler. I have worn my Velveteen garb when it has been in the high 80's to low 90's ,humid, and was fine. That's because I followed the rules. Some people tolerate the heat better than others.

Caution is key to having a wonderful day at faire.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Mac

As of right now, weather.com is showing scattered showers on Fri. with a high
of 84. Sat- partly sunny with a high of 84 again. Sun- partly sunny again with a
high of 88. But Mon. is showing the worst of the heat at 92 degrees. That will be
hot. As of right now the weekend looks wonderful though.
Lady Mac's Horns, Canes @ Staffs
Every Lord needs a good stick...
Every Lady too.

Lady Spicer

As always - thank you to all who are posting the information!

It never hurts to remind even veteran festies of the precautions... now for us to keep cool enough to enjoy ourselves this weekend! Perhaps only part of the day in garb may be recommended...

Lady "Cinnamon's too hot, let's make it Peppermint" Spicer
Kimberly Grandprey
Lady "Cinnamon" Spicer
Baroness of Worchester
Kimberly Grandprey
MN Renaissance Court

Lady Renee Buchanan

Sunday was painful at Bristol.  It was so hot that a lot of the FoF Henches (workers) weren't garbed.

Some of our diehard Ren friends left early, and others didn't even go.

We were there till the end, in our coolest garb, but even we decided that if the weather is like this again, we'll wear shorts and tank tops.  Getting into the car for the drive home was torture, even having removed most of my garb.  Just a chemise, which when the a/c kicked in enough to change to a tee shirt and capris.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I can only imagine the Court, suffering in their many layers and heavy Court garb..

I was at an outdoor concert on Sunday, even in the pouring rain. Sunday would have been a day I WOULD NOT have been in garb. It wasn't so much the temperature. The Humidity level was over 60%. Even in  a light shirt and capris, I was sticky.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde